• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Where is Sykes? I thought for a while she was the heir apparent to Caslick, after seeing Ashby play though I’m not so sure

Hope Faith Nathan grows a bit more, she’ll be amazing with a tad more size

Sykes was released last year, playing RL now

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Jeez think the ref has stitched up the Fiji women’s 7’s team a couple of times in that first half. Upset on the cards

Also don’t understand how Cassie Staples is in the Aussie side when some of these Oceania girls are on offer

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tell you what this women’s team is a real worry. Two very flat performances today and that’s basically our best squad. Realistically with the Aon 7s we should have seen the squad evolve more.

You’d have to think there will be coaching changes next year and with WAFL and WNRL growing, the battle off talent will intensify.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
They need to keep tapping into touch and Oztag and then upskilling them

All our best girls have strong foundations in one of those sports bar Green

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think what we've seen was Australia benefiting from the early adaptation of professionalism for the Women's 7's team, and now other countries around the world have caught up. If I'm not mistaken at the previous Olympics the Kiwi Women's 7's teams didn't even train together weekly, they merely came together for camps, whereas the Aussie women's were based together permanently at Narabeen.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Adam I think you’re right.

I don’t follow 7s much aside from knowing a few that play. And with the women’s it seems like a bit of ‘we won Gold, we have the best team, let’s do it again’. That won’t work anymore, the others have caught up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tell you what this women’s team is a real worry. Two very flat performances today and that’s basically our best squad. Realistically with the Aon 7s we should have seen the squad evolve more.

You’d have to think there will be coaching changes next year and with WAFL and WNRL growing, the battle off talent will intensify.
Yeh while in contrast the men performed well including the seconds team ie Oceana

Even caslick looked a shadow of her best

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very small sample size obviously but it seems to me that the Au women have regressed badly & the men have improved to the point where I won't be surprised if the men are in Medal contention at Tokyo but will be very surprised if the women are. As suggested earlier I think the women got the jump on the competition by recruiting from e.g. athletics, volleyball etc but now that everyone's doing it they've plateaued somewhat.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Very small sample size obviously but it seems to me that the Au women have regressed badly & the men have improved

One big factor for me is the coach.

The bloke coaching the men is the one who won in Rio with the women.

Was disappointed for Walsh's team (really more a program than just a team) that covid killed the world circuit because they were back up to 4th and improving. Not sure they can medal in Tokyo but they'll give it a shot.

The women's elite program needs an overhaul, starting with a proper 7s coach at the top (what's Teitjens doing these days?)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aussie men looked good but they missed the x-factor Maurice Longbottom, and I think losing Ben O'Donnell last year during COVID is a massive loss as well. He was one of the best in the team.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
losing Ben O'Donnell last year during COVID is a massive loss as well. He was one of the best in the team.
If we'd got him to Perth alongside Anstee, he couldabeen still in the mix, maybe.

Or even at the Tahs (well, that couldn't have happened, although they would've had a tackler on the wing.......).