• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
1699514513865.png

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Girls were pretty good I though & really managed that yellow card well. Once Maddi gets half a step shes unstoppable!

Png women doing an absolute number on Samoa here I didnt expect this!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Was a great vibe out at Ballymore over the weekend but agree shame that it coincided with the 7s at Easts (you had the chance to watch Charlotte Caslick or watch the Charlotte Caslick Cup). A little more promotion and some more things to do for the younger kids (Reds passing thing was setup but unmanned - a security guard was helping a few kids) and that could be a really great tournament.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I completely understand the issues around qualifying, but I think outside of special events (Olympics and BILs primarily, and even the latter isn't really a GB thing) GB teams never create enough passion for investment.

I'd much prefer that it just be "ENGLAND" acting as team GB for the series and some open selection for Scottish & Welsh players for the games itself and/or European/Repechage qualifiers, with or without our teams participating in the circuit.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I completely understand the issues around qualifying, but I think outside of special events (Olympics and BILs primarily, and even the latter isn't really a GB thing) GB teams never create enough passion for investment.

I'd much prefer that it just be "ENGLAND" acting as team GB for the series and some open selection for Scottish & Welsh players for the games itself and/or European/Repechage qualifiers, with or without our teams participating in the circuit.
Or the four of them have their own teams and play off against each other. Winners goes on

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Or the four of them have their own teams and play off against each other. Winners goes on
Since Irish Rugby is unified four ain't the go: while I'm sure the possibility of an individual (or very small group of) Northern Irish person representing Team GB exists, the likelihood of total side worth considering at this level is v v small.

As said, I think the SRU & WRU would be happy to tacitly concede the GB place to England rather than overcomplicate issues. In the big tournaments (as said, this would be European/Repechage Olympic Qualifying and the games themselves, maybe the Sevens World Cup if that ever becomes a thing again and GB were obligated to play) there would be room made for XVs players that their Union is able to make time for. Japan is a poor example because of the pandemic, but both Bennett and Cross were dropped in for the Silver Medaling Rio team.

I would prefer to see a Scottish Sevens team funded and achieving top 8 finishes in the series as well, but the Olympic alignment is a political force rendering that supremely unlikely.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Hooper will be ace
lost a bit of speed but still has that thing NFL scouts call ‘initial quickness’

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
He’s a tireless trainer. Will often see him out on his own (presumably) doing extras.
Hopefully the program they design for him does as you say, and looks after him.