• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A team vs eatablIshing a professional league are two different things. Of course remember the massive investment in chinese rugby that was going to happen but didn’t.

I am now going to google rugby in Taiwan to learn how much rugby they play in Taiwan lol.

Wiki has them with 13 clubs and a touch over 3000 players. Though they've apparently run a 7s set up in recent years at the Uni level that has 21 schools involved. I think the timing is the most interesting. Not too long after the President of the League One system mentions looking outward for new teams. And while he specifically mentioned Sth Korea and Hong Kong he did make passing reference to the likes of both Malaysia and Taiwan.

Could be a way of signalling their interest in the future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That is VERY left field. I've been there, beautiful country.

Love the food. Chinese Taipei gets a spot in the HK Sevens some years, or used to. And there is something called the Asian Rugby Championship which is usually won by Japan, naturally. I would reckon that the only chance to develop a league in Taiwan is if the corporates got involved, a la Japan.

When I lived in HKG regional rugby internationals did not draw crowds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Here's another one I've just seen. India now pays it's national team. It's scaled dependent on length of involvement from a week to a month. Whether they are on tour. Plus, bonus's for wins and placing in tournaments. It's not a lot. If they trained together in the squad for a month it would equate to $30 a day but it's more than I would have expected to have been in place. Which was no compensation at all.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Love the food. Chinese Taipei gets a spot in the HK Sevens some years, or used to. And there is something called the Asian Rugby Championship which is usually won by Japan, naturally. I would reckon that the only chance to develop a league in Taiwan is if the corporates got involved, a la Japan.

When I lived in HKG regional rugby internationals did not draw crowds.
Can’t see Taiwan having a team in HK Sevens these days.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can’t see Taiwan having a team in HK Sevens these days.

Am I missing something? Clearly I don't follow 7s with dedication and I haven't being following the sporting scene in HK at all. BUT. Will there be another HK Sevevns, and if there was would anybody turn up?

Taiwan is just across the water, and still does fun and recreation. Just saying.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Am I missing something? Clearly I don't follow 7s with dedication and I haven't being following the sporting scene in HK at all. BUT. Will there be another HK Sevevns, and if there was would anybody turn up?

Taiwan is just across the water, and still does fun and recreation. Just saying.

I've got more chance of hosting the Sevens in my backyard than Taiwan. Just saying.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

? My comment was ‘IF’ HK host a 7s tournament again, which I don’t think has been ruled out? i can’t see a Taiwan team playing due to political reasons.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
? My comment was ‘IF’ HK host a 7s tournament again, which I don’t think has been ruled out? i can’t see a Taiwan team playing due to political reasons.

Yes as Wan pointed out. I really think HK is a dead duck in terms of sport that requires international support. I could be wrong but I would definitely find it weird.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes as Wan pointed out. I really think HK is a dead duck in terms of sport that requires international support. I could be wrong but I would definitely find it weird.

Meanwhile the PRC hosts the Winter Olympics. Is that weird? The PRC might like to see Hong Kong continue to host the HSBC Sevens. Good for business.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m not so sure.

HSBC are the primary sponsor of the World Sevens series and their primary source of revenue is Hong Kong and the Asian region.

World Rugby would be reluctant to give up a foothold in ‘China’.

HKRU and Hong Kong government will do their best to demonstrate they’re open for business, once covid allows.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m not so sure.

HSBC are the primary sponsor of the World Sevens series and their primary source of revenue is Hong Kong and the Asian region.

World Rugby would be reluctant to give up a foothold in ‘China’.

HKRU and Hong Kong government will do their best to demonstrate they’re open for business, once covid allows.

When domestic ticket sales open for the Hong Kong leg of the Sevens they will sell out as usual, assuming that there are no Covid 19 restrictions. Thousands of expats (or their domestic helpers) will line up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
When domestic ticket sales open for the Hong Kong leg of the Sevens they will sell out as usual, assuming that there are no Covid 19 restrictions. Thousands of expats (or their domestic helpers) will line up.
I am not so confident as Covid seems to keep lot of crowds away. Sevens hit hard as relies on lot of outside visitors…

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am not so confident as Covid seems to keep lot of crowds away. Sevens hit hard as relies on lot of outside visitors…

Unless things have changed an awful lot, the Hong Kong leg could sell out with domestic spectators alone. They have sold out every year since the move to the new Government Stadium (excluding 2020 and 2021 of course). For all the politics the fact remains that there are a lot of wealthy expats and young locals who see the Sevens as a wonderful weekend of fun in the sun.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unless things have changed an awful lot, the Hong Kong leg could sell out with domestic spectators alone. They have sold out every year since the move to the new Government Stadium (excluding 2020 and 2021 of course). For all the politics the fact remains that there are a lot of wealthy expats and young locals who see the Sevens as a wonderful weekend of fun in the sun.
I would be very impressed if it could maintain its lustre. My family based in HK & friends have all bailed in the past two years. When China took back Hong Kong in '97, HK made up over a quarter of its GDP. HK is now just 3% of the GDP. Only going one way.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would be very impressed if it could maintain its lustre. My family based in HK & friends have all bailed in the past two years. When China took back Hong Kong in '97, HK made up over a quarter of its GDP. HK is now just 3% of the GDP. Only going one way.

Nevertheless I am pretty sure that prediction of the imminent death of the HK Sevens is a bit premature. Incidentally, I arrived in the place in 1976, just after the first ever Hong Kong Sevens was held. Admission was free on the Saturday, hardly anybody turned up. They got a couple of thousand on the Sunday. It was not until the event moved up the hill to the Government Stadium that it grew in popularity, then the Stadium was refurbished and the event took off like a rocket.

Given that rugby sevens and fifteens (if the All Blacks are involved) are pretty much the only games in town that draw big crowds (other than horse racing, of course), I think it will exist for a while yet.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A Rugby Africa cup has been announced for 1-10 July. Not sure of fixtures but will clearly be a very tight schedule.

Held in France, featuring 8 teams:

Algeria
Burkina Faso
Cote D’Ivorie
Kenya
Namibia
Uganda
Senegal
Zimbabwe
Would love to watch that. Wonder if will be on Stan....probably not...but one can hope....