• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not ideal, but I'd have to think it'll be pretty easy to argue extenuating circumstances for last year

Hopefully. The REC is looking probably the most even its been in my time watching it. And the race for qualification looks like it will be a tight one. Spain currently sit in third a single point ahead of Portugal but crucially host both them and Romania in Madrid. Win those and they are in a strong position to return to the RWC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Michael Leitch has plans to work with the likes of Sth Korea and India to help progress there Rugby post playing. But he has specifically targeted Mongolia. Interestingly, aside from a small but growing number of Mongolian teens playing Rugby at school in Japan they actually have their national league televised on their national sports broadcaster.
Mongolia? Rugby? Mind boggles as not something I would have connected

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure where to put this but was flicking though 6 nations u20 matches and started flicking though Italy vs England u20 match but ended up stopping and watching it with the azuri scoring a famous 6-0 win. Huge result for Italian rugby and gutsy display from Italian u20 players.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure where to put this but was flicking though 6 nations u20 matches and started flicking though Italy vs England u20 match but ended up stopping and watching it with the azuri scoring a famous 6-0 win. Huge result for Italian rugby and gutsy display from Italian u20 players.

First time in their history at the U20s level. This is following a few wins over England at the U18s level.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A couple of hugely entertaining and tight games in the REC overnight. And a predictable beating. Spain got the win over Russia. In what was a pretty back and forth game. Spain looked the most dangerous with ball in hand and early signs suggested they'd dominate but Russia kept finding enough to stay in it and found themselves in the lead at the end of regular basis not for Spain to maintain possession hot on attack for nearly 4 minutes before crashing over to win 37-39.

Russia played probably the best they have in a few years while Spain seemed to lack decisive decision making but still managed to win.

The other belter was the Romania/Portugal game that saw the visitors (Portugal) surge to a 6-22 lead before Romania mounted an incredible comeback by upping the physicality to win 35-27.

While the visiting Georgians steamrolled the Dutch 10-72 in Amsterdam. It's been a painful learning experience for the Oranje. Though with the sheer number of youth players they currently have in French Espoirs, one they can build from.

This is setting up and exciting next couple of weeks. Particularly with Spain hosting Romania next week and Portugal the next in Madrid.

Spain beat Romania and the next week is a big game for both them and Portugal. Romania lose and the next two games become crucial. Spain lose to Romania and the next week is even bigger. It's a pretty compelling championship this year.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A couple of hugely entertaining and tight games in the REC overnight. And a predictable beating. Spain got the win over Russia. In what was a pretty back and forth game. Spain looked the most dangerous with ball in hand and early signs suggested they'd dominate but Russia kept finding enough to stay in it and found themselves in the lead at the end of regular basis not for Spain to maintain possession hot on attack for nearly 4 minutes before crashing over to win 37-39.

Russia played probably the best they have in a few years while Spain seemed to lack decisive decision making but still managed to win.

The other belter was the Romania/Portugal game that saw the visitors (Portugal) surge to a 6-22 lead before Romania mounted an incredible comeback by upping the physicality to win 35-27.

While the visiting Georgians steamrolled the Dutch 10-72 in Amsterdam. It's been a painful learning experience for the Oranje. Though with the sheer number of youth players they currently have in French Espoirs, one they can build from.

This is setting up and exciting next couple of weeks. Particularly with Spain hosting Romania next week and Portugal the next in Madrid.

Spain beat Romania and the next week is a big game for both them and Portugal. Romania lose and the next two games become crucial. Spain lose to Romania and the next week is even bigger. It's a pretty compelling championship this year.

How do you get hold of the stream?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So much rugby - so little time. I have btw taken advantage of Stan’s 9 and 4 min highlight packages of games to get on top of some of the stuff like to keep abreast of eg 6 nations rugby etc

That's why I watch it on my laptop. Split screens and cast it to my TV. Plus, for things like MLR and REC you can watch them on demand. Which I do throughout the week.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's a tweet going round about a new proposed league featuring the Cheetahs plus a team from each of Scotland and Italy, a combined Zimbabwean and Kenyan franchise, two from Spain, Georgia, Romania and Russia. To be launched in April and play its first season in October. Kind of hard to judge it's legitimacy but rumours of this have been making the rounds for a while.

It's interesting in regards to the RE Super Cup and the crossover of nations. The SC has a team from each of Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Belgium, Georgia, Israel and Russia. Which are with the exceptions of the two Russian clubs (who are committed for two seasons) committed via their Unions to 4 seasons. Romania are also apparently keen on entry to the SC upon sorting out their issues with funding from the govt. and both Poland and Czechia are in the process of developing entrants.

If both leagues are up and running at the same time then Spain could have 3 professional franchises, Georgia would either have to require the Black Lions to double up or find a 2nd franchise likely in Batumi. Russia will have a new Moscow based franchise potentially not involved in their domestic pro league.

There are positives and negatives. The big negatives is having two competing structures. Both operating in the same markets. The Romanian participation in the rumoured structure would be Baia Mare (the strongest club in Romania with a lot of the national team on their roster) while the Union are looking at entering a franchise in the Bucreasti Wolves in the near future. Now as long as competing in this doesn't exclude players from national selection then broadening the domestic pool of players competing at a higher level will on benefit the national teams. Something I think has been witnessed in the REC this season.

But it would be better for everyone if they worked together to create a united competition. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: dru