• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks likely a Miami based MLR (under the working name of Miami Sharks) will enter in 2024. The group is backed by a number of Argentine businessmen led by the founder and CEO of South American based ecommerce and payment platform Mercado Libre. It won't be short on the financial side of the equation. Tomas Cubelli is also apparently involved. This will be the 2nd Argentine owned and operated MLR club alongside the Dallas Jackals.

Can't wait to see Steamin Willie Beamen trot out for the Sharks

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks likely a Miami based MLR (under the working name of Miami Sharks) will enter in 2024. The group is backed by a number of Argentine businessmen led by the founder and CEO of South American based ecommerce and payment platform Mercado Libre. It won't be short on the financial side of the equation. Tomas Cubelli is also apparently involved. This will be the 2nd Argentine owned and operated MLR club alongside the Dallas Jackals.

Let's hope they get started better than the Jackals did. Tough first year and I bet they hoped they might pick up a few of the LA & Austin players but most of the top talent has laned at Chicago

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Another Asian nation looking to launch a professional league. This time it's India. https://www.asierugby.com/post/l-inde-va-lancer-sa-ligue-professionnelle-de-rugby. It's from a blog post but the author is a Japan based Frenchmen who have proven fairly reliable in the past. India looking to join South Korea (this upcoming season), Taiwan (by 2026 having already launched their new league as semi-pro), Malaysia (who have recently restructured their local league into a semi-pro sprint format looking to expand it over the next couple of years) and apparently Thailand who are all looking to develop some level of domestic professional set ups.

This in addition to the Asian Rugby Grand League that is also in the works (with support from WR (World Rugby) similar to that of Super Rugby Americas and the RE Super Cup). Will be interesting to see if things actually come to fruition. Part of me thinks many Asian Unions would be well served to focus on developing semi-pro structures that feed into a Grand League franchise operating in a similar manner but I cannot fault the ambition.

Having mentioned the RE Super Cup. Suggestion that the next nation off the rank in terms of adding a team appears to be Czechia. The Union has the ambition and has managed to hold fairly well supported and received event in the past. Very keen from everything I've read. The Poles are also actively working to get a franchise up and running. Monaco also keeps popping up. Additionally, RE has recently been in early stage talks with the EPCR about entering teams into the Challenge Cup from the RESC proper. This would be a boon for the RESC as it would lend even more legitimacy to it as a league structure and should assist in the planned transition to a more formal league structure as opposed to the current Cup format.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A little more info on the proposed Asia Rugby Grand League. Apparently will kick off next year and will have as many as 10 teams including a team from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Kazakhstan, UAE and Pakistan. With Taiwan and Mongolia also apparently interested for the future.

On to Africa. The teams for the Currie Cup 1st Division/Mzanzi Challenge have been announced. With 5 foreign teams slated to participate alongside 6 SA provinces. They are the Kenya Simbas, Zimbabwe Goshawks, Namibia (all returning), Barcelona Diables and initially the Tel Aviv Heat. However, the Heat have been uninvited due to concerns expressed by several stakeholders about Israel's stance on Palestine. There are plans to replace them with. Wait for it. The Mexican Rhinos. This one feels strange.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A little more info on the proposed Asia Rugby Grand League. Apparently will kick off next year and will have as many as 10 teams including a team from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Kazakhstan, UAE and Pakistan. With Taiwan and Mongolia also apparently interested for the future.

On to Africa. The teams for the Currie Cup 1st Division/Mzanzi Challenge have been announced. With 5 foreign teams slated to participate alongside 6 SA provinces. They are the Kenya Simbas, Zimbabwe Goshawks, Namibia (all returning), Barcelona Diables and initially the Tel Aviv Heat. However, the Heat have been uninvited due to concerns expressed by several stakeholders about Israel's stance on Palestine. There are plans to replace them with. Wait for it. The Mexican Rhinos. This one feels strange.

I saw this pop up cause I follow super sport on socials, it’s very very strange.

shame the black lion aren’t going around again in rsa

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
MLR kicked off over the weekend with a new league attendance record being set with San Diego hosting Utah in front of 11400 spectators.

That's a very positive sign for their comp.

Speaking to a couple of mates who are playing over there, generally there has been some worry in the rugby community because FIFA beat rugby to the jump in terms of hosting a World Cup, and there were discussions about private grassroots funding and resources being diverted to football instead of rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Could be the case but the MLR is still way below what Soccer is in the US.

Rugby has always had a steady niche at the community club level but the growth in the College level is what shows the most promise for the game and the MLR. Hopefully these players flow through to it and continue upping the standard by applying pressure to players to maintain positions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting. Despite that, too many foreigners, they have to develop their own talent
They will. As I mentioned re College Rugby. Even though there are a lot of international players going into that level of Rugby as well.

I don't mind the MLR going after so many internationals at this stage. They need to establish a competition that is above a Suburban level in traditional nations if it is going to have any legitimacy. It also helps with gaining attention no matter how small it may be. Nonu would have garnered eye balls from inside the US and outside onto the MLR because of who he is. Same for Gits, Robshaw, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
They will. As I mentioned re College Rugby. Even though there are a lot of international players going into that level of Rugby as well.

I don't mind the MLR going after so many internationals at this stage. They need to establish a competition that is above a Suburban level in traditional nations if it is going to have any legitimacy. It also helps with gaining attention no matter how small it may be. Nonu would have garnered eye balls from inside the US and outside onto the MLR because of who he is. Same for Gits, Robshaw, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
They lost the World Cup qualy against Chile, a Tier 3 nation with only ONE semi-professional team. The difference? 90% of the Chilenean franchise are Chilenean players or at least elegibles for their national team.

They only have 1 professional team. Since this year their franchise is integrated by 100% of Chilenean players. Meanwhile USA has many professional franchises but most of them are integrated by foreigners

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes but unlike Australia, NZ etc. the national USA Rugby team isn't their benchmark at the moment.

Similar to a lot of yankee sporting competitions, they're built around a strong internal competition. The best way to have that strong competition right now is to sign the best international players available.

They're going with the strategy of creating a strong and well supported national competition, which should bring more players to the game and over time, their national team will become stronger.

Similar comparison in Australia would be the NBL. In order to get more players playing basketball, the NBL back in the peak era was mostly international players who could play at a much higher level than the local blokes and the Australian national team was shit. Look at what happened though, it took a long time, but the Aussie national team is actually quite good and there are more and more Aussie's joining the College and NBA each year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No doubt there is a problem with the US and also Canadian national teams right now.

Hopefully the MLR does develop players and I think it will. It will also have foreigners qualify to play for them as well in the next few years which can quickly raise the standard of the national team at that lower status. One down side of the MLR whilst necessary for it to run is the private ownership of teams. They don’t necessarily give a shit about the US Eagles.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They lost the World Cup qualy against Chile, a Tier 3 nation with only ONE semi-professional team. The difference? 90% of the Chilenean franchise are Chilenean players or at least elegibles for their national team.

They only have 1 professional team. Since this year their franchise is integrated by 100% of Chilenean players. Meanwhile USA has many professional franchises but most of them are integrated by foreigners

I think you're be disingenuous to the development of Chilean Rugby there. They've always had the base to push to become Sth Americas 2nd best team. But never had the pieces in place to make that step. Now they have in the establishment of soon to be two HP centres with a base of 50 players. On that series. The Eagles massively underperformed.

Regarding MLR I thin you're missing the point of the league. Which isn't to feed the Eagles. If the Eagles benefit then great. But it's a primarily commercial venture designed to provide the best possible product. Which means that if they can find a foreign based player then they will. That said there's still 160 odd places for American players. And growing. Plus, every franchise has growing community and performance pathways in place. There's been mention by one owner of a U23s structure being implemented in the near future.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No doubt there is a problem with the US and also Canadian national teams right now.

Hopefully the MLR does develop players and I think it will. It will also have foreigners qualify to play for them as well in the next few years which can quickly raise the standard of the national team at that lower status. One down side of the MLR whilst necessary for it to run is the private ownership of teams. They don’t necessarily give a shit about the US Eagles.

They do care but it's not their main priority. There was an interview with one of the Seattle owners leading into the season where he mentioned that there are currently 6 groups in the process of bidding and that leading into 2031 the collective group will have spent $1b with investment and spend set to ramp up over the next 8 years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's a very positive sign for their comp.

Speaking to a couple of mates who are playing over there, generally there has been some worry in the rugby community because FIFA beat rugby to the jump in terms of hosting a World Cup, and there were discussions about private grassroots funding and resources being diverted to football instead of rugby.

Soccer is pretty established as a professional sport. I'm not sure any increased investment will deliver the return many assume. Much of the fanbase there are as invested in the international game as they are the MLS and national team.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think you're be disingenuous to the development of Chilean Rugby there. They've always had the base to push to become Sth Americas 2nd best team. But never had the pieces in place to make that step. Now they have in the establishment of soon to be two HP centres with a base of 50 players. On that series. The Eagles massively underperformed.

Regarding MLR I thin you're missing the point of the league. Which isn't to feed the Eagles. If the Eagles benefit then great. But it's a primarily commercial venture designed to provide the best possible product. Which means that if they can find a foreign based player then they will. That said there's still 160 odd places for American players. And growing. Plus, every franchise has growing community and performance pathways in place. There's been mention by one owner of a U23s structure being implemented in the near future.
I'm from South America, I know everything about Chilenean rugby, believe me. And I gonna watch they play from the stands soon.

They have a based of 45 semi-professional players or you could call them professionals. Currently they are like Jaguares in Super Rugby. They are a team with the best 40 players of their country playing together since 4/5 years. It's like a national team playing 20/30 games per year. Meanwhile the average Tier 1 national team play 12 games per year at the best.

The difference is that Argentinian Rugby provides them a more competitive tournament. They improved a lot but they are not so good as you can imagine. Any national team that plays 30 games per year gonna improve a lot. They live together since a lot of time. Imagine ABs, WBs or Boks being one club doing the preseason and playing together all the year. Any team gonna improve in those conditions but that improvement have a ceiling.

Particurly I see their defence improved a lot, they are an organized and hard defence. You don't need to have the Carlos Spencer skills to be a good defender, you need time to develop and organize it and they had a lot of time working with Argentinian coaches. They also have copied the Uruguayan rugby model, even they hired Pablo Lemoine, the Uruguayan head coach who lead Uruguay to the 2015 World Cup.

Moreover, Argentinian Rugby Union provided to them their best coaches, nutritionists and S&C coaches, in fact, to all the South American Unions in order to grow the region. They have advanced 30 years in 5 thanks to the solidarity of Argentinian Rugby Union, who is the godfather of these nations

Most of the time they play agaisnt weaker teams. For example, Argentina has their best 200/250 players playing in Europe. Despite that they have some quality players playing in MLR and many plauing for other nations like Italy or Spain. Also they have 2 teams in Super Rugby Americas, meanwhile Chile only have one professional team. Their best 30 players are together. For that reason they are better than the 2 Argie franchises cause they are facing the Argentinian players from number 200 to 300 in their ranking, guys with few chances to become a Puma, meanwhile all the Chileneans are Condores, their national team.

Last edited: