• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone else watch the MLR? Can watch it for free on ‘The Rugby Network’ app.

Just watched the Dog Bowl between Chicago Hounds & Dallas Jackals. Fun game. I find the MLR a better watch than Japanese Top League or most French games. It has that Club level looseness to it that I think makes the best form of Rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Just watched the Dog Bowl between Chicago Hounds & Dallas Jackals. Fun game. I find the MLR a better watch than Japanese Top League or most French games. It has that Club level looseness to it that I think makes the best form of Rugby.

I watched the Atlanta/San Diego game this morning. Certainly more enjoyable than watching the Tahs at the moment.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Meakesy dominating is he? I know he went to support his other half but I reckon he still had a couple of good Super Rugby years left in him

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
exISA, it looks like you've moved on from Kassel. I was back in Germany in Sept/Oct last year and had an interesting encounter with local rugby in Bavaria. I was in Landsberg am Lech, a small city of around 20,000 a 45 minute drive west of Munich, on the German Unity Day holiday and the town was hosting a sports day in the town square. I saw a small stand with familiar equipment and it was the Landsberg Rugby Club doing a recruitment drive. I had a good chat with the blokes and it appears that rugby in Bavaria has a small but dedicated competition with teams in Munich, Augsburg, Landsberg, Regensburg, Kempten, Ulm, plus Salzburg, Innsbruck and Vorarlberg in Austria. Here's the Landsberg Rugby Club website and the Rugby Verband Bayern (Rugby Federation of Bavaria) website.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Searched for a place to put this, and choose here. Its a rugby movie, I assume a true story, the last 25 minutes or so are the game, the lead up shows the how the world was in a past lifetime.

Its quite a long movie, I guest many may have already seen it.

Mods feel free to move if there is a better thread for it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Also seeing rumours of Mexico putting a team in MLR

Not rumours. There's apparently an actual group bidding. Based out of Moneterrey and featuring one of the original Houston investors. There's been talk of interest in entering MLR from Mexico since season 1 with a group actually attending the season 1 Championship game. This bid may be a little ambitious in terms of timeline but we'll have to wait and see.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I read that rugby Asia have put on hold their ‘grand league’ to focus on 7’s

Yes but the Grand League was/is going to be a franchise league in much the same vein as Super Rugby Americas. The 7s bit is more their mix of continental competition for 2024 mostly in and around the developmental Unions and Womens game. The plan is for the Grand League to launch with 4 teams and grow to 12.

Unless you're referring to the planned Indian 7s league.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but the Grand League was/is going to be a franchise league in much the same vein as Super Rugby Americas. The 7s bit is more their mix of continental competition for 2024 mostly in and around the developmental Unions and Womens game. The plan is for the Grand League to launch with 4 teams and grow to 12.

Unless you're referring to the planned Indian 7s league.

Thoughts on the new USA Rugby/ MLR/ WR (World Rugby) joint venture team?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thoughts on the new USA Rugby/ MLR/ WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) joint venture team?

Came out of nowhere. Things are moving pretty fast in the background from what I've been told. It's good that the league will have 12 teams again after the loss of Toronto and New York. Also interesting to see WR (World Rugby) opt to fully invest in a team in MLR as opposed to a 2nd team in SRA as was hinted at late last year. A fairly big commitment financially, $3-5m a season for according to those with more know, for 4 seasons minimum. With the goal of an investor coming on board a taking over. Though I can see WR (World Rugby) remaining involved up until 2031.

The goal looks to be to do something similar to Selknam did for Chile.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Came out of nowhere. Things are moving pretty fast in the background from what I've been told. It's good that the league will have 12 teams again after the loss of Toronto and New York. Also interesting to see WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) opt to fully invest in a team in MLR as opposed to a 2nd team in SRA as was hinted at late last year. A fairly big commitment financially, $3-5m a season for according to those with more know, for 4 seasons minimum. With the goal of an investor coming on board a taking over. Though I can see WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) remaining involved up until 2031.

The goal looks to be to do something similar to Selknam did for Chile.

Interesting to see ex-Scotland FB and convicted Domestic Abuser Rufus McClean in the Raptors squad: by birth and by stand down he'll be eligible for the Eagles by the November window in 2025. Wonder if it will happen and how it will play in the states, he's certainly persona non grata to the SRU.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting to see ex-Scotland FB and convicted Domestic Abuser Rufus McClean in the Raptors squad: by birth and by stand down he'll be eligible for the Eagles by the November window in 2025. Wonder if it will happen and how it will play in the states, he's certainly persona non grata to the SRU.

I can only relay what I've read but most people aren't overly pleased with him popping up in Colorado. Despite their initial statements the Raptors aren't really a feeder for the Eagles. Certainly no more than any of the MLR teams. There's no guarantees that he'll be in consideration. Particularly given the current Eagles coach is Scott Lawrence who from all accounts is a stand up guy.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The REC kicked off last night with two very tightly contested games. The first featuring the Netherlands vs Spain ending with a heartbreaking missed shot at goal to win it for the Dutch in front of their home crowd. 18-20 for Spain. Followed by the boil over of the rounds in front a over 5k fans in Mons. With the hosts Belgium defeating Portugal 10-6.

Germany vs Georgia and Romania vs Poland later tonight. Germany are expecting a solid crowd for their game. Only hope they can keep it competitive.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to see that Germany (17-28 loss to Georgia) and Poland (8-20 loss to Romania) were both competitive as well. Seems like the tier 3 European countries are on the rise and that augurs well for the 24 team world cup.