• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It'll be interesting to see how Russia's suspension is dealt with in the European qualifying table. If games involving Russia are no longer counted that will benefit Romania as their record against them in the qualifiers is 1-1 whereas Spain beat them twice.

The other option is to count their remaining games as walkovers, which would benefit Spain as well as Portugal and Georgia who would get automatic wins.

Someone will be unhappy whichever option they choose!
My understanding is that when games can't be played because a team is unable to play (including disqualifications and exclusions like this) than it's treated as 28-0 bonus point win to the other side. I don't think I've ever seen previous results being changed/annulled.

That's not specific to REC, just the rules I've seen used in other rugby tournaments.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It'll be interesting to see how Russia's suspension is dealt with in the European qualifying table. If games involving Russia are no longer counted that will benefit Romania as their record against them in the qualifiers is 1-1 whereas Spain beat them twice.

The other option is to count their remaining games as walkovers, which would benefit Spain as well as Portugal and Georgia who would get automatic wins.

Someone will be unhappy whichever option they choose!

Ha. So the head of Rugby Europe is Romanian. The same bloke who approved the very dubious refereeing situation last time round. Where Romanians officiated a crucial game between Spain and Belgium. Where there were a significant number of extremely dubious calls against Spain which cost them no only the game but RWC qualification. That was before the whole eligibility saga for both Spain and Romania which saw both disqualified from qualification blew up. So I can see this going the way that best benefits Romania.

Last edited:

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ha. So the head of Rugby Europe is Romanian. The same bloke who approved the very dubious refereeing situation last time round. Where Romanians officiated a crucial game between Spain and Belgium. Where there were a significant number of extremely dubious calls against Spain which cost them no only the game but RWC qualification. That was before the whole eligibility saga for both Spain and Romania which saw both disqualified from qualification blew up. So I can see this going the way that best benefits Romania.

It's a tough one because you could definitely argue that annulling Russia's results is the fairest way of doing it. It would mean that each team's points tally would come from the same number of games and against the same opponents. If Portugal get a walkover bonus point win over Russia, while Romania's loss against them last year still counts, that's clearly unfair.

On the other hand, it would be unfair to Spain for these games to suddenly not count, as that's where they've pulled ahead of Romania.

I guess if there's precedent then you go with that. Would World Rugby not make this decision rather than Rugby Europe?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching 20 minute highlights of wales vs Italy and great try at death created by Italian fullback to stop 36 record losses in a row for Ireland!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No doubt deserves a higher order:

Attachments

• D834D427-504F-4580-B276-A620A1D8ABE1.jpeg
    D834D427-504F-4580-B276-A620A1D8ABE1.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 89

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Black Lions will meet the Lusitanos in the final of the of the Super Cup. Two very different but equally entertaining matches. Lusitanos came from behind to over Tel Aviv in Lisbon while the Black Lions squeaked it against the Castille y Leon Iberians in Tbilisi. If this competition launched as a 6 team competition running home and away then I think it would have been really interesting. Not that I don't support the inclusion of Delta and Brussels. But both of those squads will need to tap into their respective domestic national team players and France based contingents to up their games in seasons to come. Apparently Poland are quite close to entering as well.

There's been a few articles about the structure spearheaded by the Cheetahs. Dubbed the United Rugby Shield. No clue as to exactly it's composition in terms of teams mainly because of the current Russia issue but their could be as many as two Spanish squads.

I'm not a fan of two competing structures. Would rather see both work together to establish a proper league structure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A few other things.

The Singapore and Taiwan RUs have signed a MOU looking to build closer competitive ties with each other.

The Indian state of Bihar will be opening two Rugby training centres in the coming months. Things are quietly moving along in India regarding the game. Recently they've introduced increased funding and for the first time payments for their national team.

And the HK RFU have followed their withdrawal from RWC qualification with the announcement of. $40m loss over the Covid period.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A few other things.

The Singapore and Taiwan RUs have signed a MOU looking to build closer competitive ties with each other.

The Indian state of Bihar will be opening two Rugby training centres in the coming months. Things are quietly moving along in India regarding the game. Recently they've introduced increased funding and for the first time payments for their national team.

And the HK RFU have followed their withdrawal from RWC qualification with the announcement of. $40m loss over the Covid period.

Tonga could very well win there home & away legs by 200+, read if a foxsports article that Tonga's home leg will prob be in Brisbane

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The article literally says league is dwarfed by Aussie rules
The 700 player figure is also significantly overinflated. Halve it and you'd be a lot closer to the actual figure. Even if this boondoggle of an idea happens without real investment in developing the game on the ground it will amount to zero. But that would require a long term investment which has never been something League has ever been all that interested in opting for dots on maps in terms of professional clubs instead.

I mean Rugby has been bubbling away for decades an d have only recently managed to get MLR which while labelled professional is at best semi-professional up and running. With the understanding that turning a profit won't be a reality until at best the 10 year mark for pretty much any of the franchises involved.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
wow, lot of familiar names here:

Must be ace to live in LA and get paid to play rugby on the weekends. Is there real $$$ behind the thing? I guess there must be if players of that standard are signing contracts.....

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Must be ace to live in LA and get paid to play rugby on the weekends. Is there real $$$ behind the thing? I guess there must be if players of that standard are signing contracts.....
In the case of the Giltinis there is. Owned by a billionaire. Similar for New England. A licence will set you back $10m with enough capital to run for three seasons at an annual cost of $3-5m a season.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

USA announced to host RWC in 2031 and Women's RWC in 2033 - I'm sure there will be considering cash coming to the MLR between now and then to both promote the game internally and sign better players etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
USA announced to host RWC in 2031 and Women's RWC in 2033 - I'm sure there will be considering cash coming to the MLR between now and then to both promote the game internally and sign better players etc.
Independent comp doesn't fall under us rugby, i'm sure they will want to see it grow but it will work nothing like we have here

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Independent comp doesn't fall under us rugby, i'm sure they will want to see it grow but it will work nothing like we have here

Is there a dispute between US Rugby and MLR?

Seems counterintuitive for growth if the major governing body doesn't want to fund their only professional competition during the lead up to the flagship event.