• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watson has been in great form, Daly less so but still one of their important senior players. Getting worse for Borthwick.

At least it’s not just Aus getting wrecked by injuries.

I rate both of those guys. England are in real trouble here. I saw a comment from Will Greenwood (one of England's best ever IMHO) saying that it's looking like 2011 all over again for them. I agree.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I rate both of those guys. England are in real trouble here. I saw a comment from Will Greenwood (one of England's best ever IMHO) saying that it's looking like 2011 all over again for them. I agree.
I'm pretty disappointed by Borthwick's replacements in Cokanasiga and May. Both have been well off the boil and have better replacements in Murley and Hassell-Collins. Nawaqanitawase took all of no time to acclimatise to test rugby. Borthwick is being conservative and boring. He could have Hassell-Collins ready to go quickly, but nup bring out ol' Tits for hands Cokanasiga.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm pretty disappointed by Borthwick's replacements in Cokanasiga and May. Both have been well off the boil and have better replacements in Murley and Hassell-Collins. Nawaqanitawase took all of no time to acclimatise to test rugby. Borthwick is being conservative and boring. He could have Hassell-Collins ready to go quickly, but nup bring out ol' Tits for hands Cokanasiga.
Isn't it good for us?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes, Borthwick's selections and strategy are both good for the Wallabies.
It could mean we face Argentina in the Quarters - if they backfire on the Soap Dodgers. (Assuming we top Pool C).

EDIT: Actually, I'm not too sure who I'd want the Wallabies to face in the quarters - Argentina who appear to be on an upper, or a potentially cooked lot of poms.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
C’mon now, don’t you know it was all Eddie’s fault

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8633.jpeg

I like the idea by WR (World Rugby). Just get it out there

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This was an absolute white wash of the AB's by the Springbok.
But the AB's ill discipline cost them numerous penalties, yellow cards, and a red card.
This game is an indication that if you are to have any chance of winning the RWC, discipline in play has to be a top priority.
Just ask Scott Barrett who could well miss 4 to 6 games (with his poor track record) and virtually unable to play a number of the RWC games.
Also Beauden Barrett might well be dropped after his very poor defensive efforts.

Last edited:

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
This was an absolute white wash of the AB's by the Springbok.
But the AB's ill discipline cost them numerous penalties, yellow cards, and a red card.
This game is an indication that if you are to have any chance of winning the RWC, discipline in play has to be a top priority.
Just ask Scott Barrett who could well miss 4 to 6 games (with his poor track record) and virtually unable to play a number of the RWC games.
Also Beauden Barrett might well be dropped after his very poor defensive efforts.
So essentially, the All Blacks played like the Wallabies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually thought the AB's could have had blokes in the bin earlier than they did. There were a lot of penalties in their 22 in the first quarter of the game.

I left for work as Libbok was lining up the first conversion so ~18 minutes in & at that point we had two in the bin plus I reckon had Kolisi not scored someone else would've gone. Would've had to be something ridiculously egregious for anyone to get binned earlier than ScoBar's "team fouls" Yellow.

Agree with your point on the match thread, ScoBar will be lucky to avoid suspension for the hit on Marx, even if the head contact was secondary (which I'm 50/50 on) I don't think you can "clean out" a guy who's already prone on the ground? For that reason I think a superfluous outside back (that we were able to field a 6/2 bench for what appears to be the first time ever suggests we're carrying too many) needs to make way for Josh Lord to come into the 33. Needs to be done pronto as I believe we only have until 29 August to do it without needing WR (World Rugby)'s approval & they might just see it as too convenient to be true if we leave it any later.

I actually don't mind the penalty & card counts, PROVIDED THAT every match is adjudicated to that standard but I think we all know that ain't gunna happen & someone is quite possibly going home early as a result.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fair point WOB. I'd have to go back and watch the game again, but at the time I thought the AB's were lucky not have seen yellow in the first 10 minutes, such was the avalanche of penalties.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I was fair screaming about the poor discipline in that first quarter but I honestly didn't think anything prior to ScoBar's first was Yellow-worthy & thought bokke got away with some questionable off-the-ball stuff themselves.