• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
French may have lost another, according to Newshub:

"Hosts France have been dealt another injury blow, with lock Paul Willemse reportedly dropping out of their Rugby World Cup squad with a thigh injury, a week before their tournament opener.

"The South African-born second-row has been replaced by Bastien Chalureau, with Willemse placed on a standby list, should his injury settle and another change be needed during the tournament."

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
French may have lost another, according to Newshub:

"Hosts France have been dealt another injury blow, with lock Paul Willemse reportedly dropping out of their Rugby World Cup squad with a thigh injury, a week before their tournament opener.

"The South African-born second-row has been replaced by Bastien Chalureau, with Willemse placed on a standby list, should his injury settle and another change be needed during the tournament."
Man that sucks. France do not have much depth at lock. One thing they haven’t developed properly, hence their attempted rule bending to get Meafou hurried through. I haven’t been impressed by Flament in recent months too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8682.jpeg

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Man that sucks. France do not have much depth at lock. One thing they haven’t developed properly, hence their attempted rule bending to get Meafou hurried through. I haven’t been impressed by Flament in recent months too.
It's where the independence of the top 14 lets them down. Lock has become a really sort after position there and given the specific body type it's much easier for teams to buy in stars from overseas then find and grow them locally. Skelton, Arnold, Meafou, Amatosero, Simmons, Douglas, Coleman, Staniforth, Battye and Cummins - that's just the Australian qualified locks over there. Not all stars but that's also before you get to all the other foreign locks - Lavanini, Petti, Nakarawa, Halaifonua, etc.
I'd hazard a guess that there are at least as many minutes going into ineligible locks as eligible ones, if not more.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Late night games? No problem. Just get up early, resisting the urge to check the score, and watch the replay. Works for me.

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Ireland wouldn't really have the stadiums would they, and the Aviva 45,000 would be too small for the big WC games

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Personally think Itoje sells the dream but doesn’t back it up.

Agree about Skelton but this is a European page and he’s coming out of La Rochelle.