• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The only reason people here in Sth East NSW are talking to me about rugby is that they know I follow it at work. And even then it's a short discussion as they're all on wanting to support a NZ team over a QLD team in the NRL!

And of course, they're quite happy sticking the boot in over Aus loss to Fiji. Other than that, it's nada - you wouldn't know the RWC is on.

For me, I've always picked the games. Rnd 2, there was really only one game that was of interest, Rnd 3 there will be a few more that pique the interest.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Have to say I not sure if it age or what, but I not getting into the WC as much as normal this time around. I usually watch almost every game regardless who is playing, this time I have just really watched main games of the week, and hardly even bothered with highlight packages.
I not sure if it because I getting older or what, but might be being back home etc, and I actually watch a lot more NPC games, just seems less bullshit, just enjoy watching teams play wiyhout all the TMO stuff, and having every detail examined by everyone.
It's been a strange one no doubt.

I live in Perth where it's less popular than lawn bowls according to our local media.

I'm frustrated as Ireland are the best we've ever been but we may as well be playing the Rugby League world cup given how much interest it's got.

I think partially it's the times and the paywall behind Stan.

Equally though i think it's because the Wallabies are practically no chance, NZ fans are so disenchanted with their team/management and the English haven't really looked like much (albeit maybe starting to show something). They're basically the people that usually talk up a World Cup.

It's left to the Saffers, French and Irish to get genuinely excited and there just isn't the numbers here to really get the fire burning.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
A couple of my English mates are coming out of the woodwork, started talking now that they feel they will finish better then the Wallabies. Round 1 had some good games, round 2 really didn't have any blockbuster game (Wallabies v Fiji) prob the game of the round and at possibly the worst time for Aus eastern states.

This weekend, Ireland v SA, Wales v Wallabies and Argentina v Samoa are really the only games of interest with 2 of them being 5am kick offs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Living in Brisbane, you wouldn't even know the Rugby World Cup was being played. First time I've that I've literally had barely anyone mention it to me.

Lions and Broncos playing in Brissy this Saturday for a spot in their Grand Finals. Wallabies copping a loss to Fiji. Club rugby season done and dusted. Rugby essentially doesn't exist around here at the moment.

Obviously the time zone is an absolute shit for everyone here as well, which hurts.
That is pretty upsetting to hear. I know rugby has it's problems etc, and as I said I the idiot who gets up in middle of night to watch games etc, and admit it easier for me that ABs and most games are on at breakfast time. I still watch the games that interest me, and for me to say I pick and choosing is saying something. I honestly watch almost all NPC games (and that maybe problem) so I not sick of rugby per se, just struggling to enjoy all palava that seems to be happening. I have just got home from golf, and about 12-15 of us in clubrooms, and was surprised that the Wallabies' game wasn't mentioned etc, you know being an upset and all. Mind you all my age group.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s hard with the time zones and the Wallabies considered a non threat. Along with competing with NRL & AFL finals getting all the media coverage.

Was a surprise to even hear them mention Jorgenson’s injury on the news. (They did show Tate McDermott though) gotta start somewhere.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8905.jpeg

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
This RWC scheduling sux major arse.

"Oh we'll play all the games on the weekend. Nothing during the week. So the recovery time is the same for everyone"

The only match on Saturday night is stupid apeman Georgia vs stupid million ranked Portugal you ******* *********** *********** *********

baboong9_zpsvbeg3exj.gif

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

"Oh we'll play all the games on the weekend. Nothing during the week. So the recovery time is the same for everyone"

The only match on Saturday night is stupid apeman Georgia vs stupid million ranked Portugal you ******* *********** *********** *********

baboong9_zpsvbeg3exj.gif
Its quite impressive just how exciting they've made the Womens world cup seem in comparison

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Have to say I not sure if it age or what, but I not getting into the WC as much as normal this time around. I usually watch almost every game regardless who is playing, this time I have just really watched main games of the week, and hardly even bothered with highlight packages.
I not sure if it because I getting older or what, but might be being back home etc, and I actually watch a lot more NPC games, just seems less bullshit, just enjoy watching teams play wiyhout all the TMO stuff, and having every detail examined by everyone.
I can't stand watching our game at the top level when it's not a massive game or one I'm emotionally invested in. The internal groans and frustration every time we have to stop and replay a pointless detail phases after it's happened is fucking ridiculous.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)

baboong9_zpsvbeg3exj.gif
NZ v France to start, good. But I don't know whose idea it was to blow their wad on Week 1 and have so many ultimately pointless games going on in one weekend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I be honest, I not to worried if some weekends are a bit quiet, but I watch NPC anyway, so that keeps me going. But not sure what best way to do it is, if you have midweek games it the tier 2 teams that cop them all.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In what has been an underwhelming World Cup so far, RSA v IRE was a fantastic game. Hopefully kickstarts it a little bit.

For anyone who has been in the European timezone to this point, you would know how fkn bad the scheduling has been.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting that the bookies have Wales as favorites tonight. Also think Italy odds against NZ are rather juicy. I don’t think they are going to win but surely a better than 1/30 chance of beating them these days

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting that the bookies have Wales as favorites tonight. Also think Italy odds against NZ are rather juicy. I don’t think they are going to win but surely a better than 1/30 chance of beating them these days
Oh I'd definitely have Wales as favourite - a few days ago Aus were marginally favourite but close enough to evens.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh I'd definitely have Wales as favourite - a few days ago Aus were marginally favourite but close enough to evens.
I’m the same. Was more pointing out because many of here think Aus have the better team and that we should beat Wales. The bookies obviously don’t agree and they are rarely wrong.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I’m the same. Was more pointing out because many of here think Aus have the better team and that we should beat Wales. The bookies obviously don’t agree and they are rarely wrong.
We were favourites over Fiji, so I wouldn’t read too much into odds