• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Never understood the love for RSA. Their win percentage isn’t great in recent years and although a World Cup win is a great achievement they managed it by beating t2 teams, an injury ravaged Wales and a good England team. I think they are better than Aus, but are closer to Aus standard than Fra, Ire and NZ. They have to play too many good teams this time round to achieve success and they aren’t capable of winning back to back to back games against quality opposition

They have a lot of international based players coming together and benefit significantly from the long preparation time for the RWC. They got better and better last time around and peaked at the right end of the tournament.

I don't think you can discount them again this time. They have some excellent players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Never understood the love for RSA. Their win percentage isn’t great in recent years and although a World Cup win is a great achievement they managed it by beating t2 teams, an injury ravaged Wales and a good England team. I think they are better than Aus, but are closer to Aus standard than Fra, Ire and NZ. They have to play too many good teams this time round to achieve success and they aren’t capable of winning back to back to back games against quality opposition
When it comes to the WC they play a slower style that lends itself to knockout play. Good set piece and take points every time its on offer. Besides the great Japan win over them they usually don't beat themselves and when others stumble they are right there still in the tournament.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I think we are at single digits because we have a fairly easy group. Wales are not exactly setting the world alight at the moment so the idea that Australia should be able to top the group and give themselves a QF against probably either Argentina or Japan. Australia and England probably have the easiest runs to the SF of any of the so called big sides.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think we are at single digits because we have a fairly easy group. Wales are not exactly setting the world alight at the moment so the idea that Australia should be able to top the group and give themselves a QF against probably either Argentina or Japan. Australia and England probably have the easiest runs to the SF of any of the so called big sides.
Then I'm hoping we play an Ireland or France that's been absolutely battered on the road by NZ x2 and SA.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Has there been any talk of changing the way or time pools are made to avoid 4 top teams being in 2 in the future?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
They were never able to justify why it had to happen so early beyond 'logistics'. Never mind the fact that travelling fans literally cannot book flights and accom more than 12, MAX 14-15 months out.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
They were never able to justify why it had to happen so early beyond 'logistics'. Never mind the fact that travelling fans literally cannot book flights and accom more than 12, MAX 14-15 months out.
Fans might not book earlier, but teams definitely need to organise training bases a couple of years out. But yes, this cycle was way too early. I thought it was a misguided attempt to make the year after each WC more "important", since it tends to be written off as a rebuilding year for a lot of countries.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Fans might not book earlier, but teams definitely need to organise training bases a couple of years out. But yes, this cycle was way too early. I thought it was a misguided attempt to make the year after each WC more "important", since it tends to be written off as a rebuilding year for a lot of countries.
I get that but if FIFA can manage so too can W.R.

Fwiw I think the chat around the draw is annoying and tired because there's no changing it now; it's just irritating they take fans for fools

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely WR (World Rugby) would also be able to arrange training bases around whatever region it is and when ever the draw happens you get allocated to one of them as well. If there is any niche items a team may want they should be able to sort that out on their own.

I guess the concept of the World League may reduce the post WC drop since that's 2 years post WC. Should just allocate the seeding from the finish in that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
World Rugby did do the draw for 2023 unusually early compared to previous RWCs. I expect they looked at what had happened in the rankings over past draws and thought that bugger all change would happen to the pools regardless of when the draw was done and just went with it early.

It's clearly backfired because there was unprecedented movement in the rankings and the pools are very different to how they would have been if the draw had been done at a time consistent with previous RWCs.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
fosterselection.png

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
World Rugby did do the draw for 2023 unusually early compared to previous RWCs. I expect they looked at what had happened in the rankings over past draws and thought that bugger all change would happen to the pools regardless of when the draw was done and just went with it early.

It's clearly backfired because there was unprecedented movement in the rankings and the pools are very different to how they would have been if the draw had been done at a time consistent with previous RWCs.
I imagine the French had to do it early for logistics of one country hosting let alone ticket sales and international tours. For example at least 2.5 years in advance. So you end up in the right city, have tickets, accommodation, and flights all organised well in advance. Australia not complaining about their draw?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
France's bid for an exemption to the 5 year eligibility period for Emmanuel Meafou has been denied:

Eat a dick France. Gotta poach our players the long way.
Considering Meafou has stated that not one Australian team was even willing to give him a training spot and he want's to play for France because they are the ones who really invested in his development.

It's going to happen, they just need to wait till the end of the year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Considering Meafou has stated that not one Australian team was even willing to give him a training spot and he want's to play for France because they are the ones who really invested in his development.

It's going to happen, they just need to wait till the end of the year.

And good luck to the bloke.