• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Bitch, moan and discuss - Referees and Law Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

this isnt mere pedantry: if you want the advantage of tapping the ball from your hands you have to be able to catch an take the risk that you won't.

Exactly - there was an occassion in the AB v Canada match where Brad Thorn took a quick tap, but having to it properly slowed him down enough that the Canadian defence could catch him without much momentum. If he'd done a foot touch style tap, he'd have made a further 2 or 3 metres and possibly even gone over.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Can someone clarify for me exactly what happened at the end of the first half of Italy-Ireland yesterday? IIRC, Italy had a penalty advantage around the Ireland 22. They kept attacking, but their play broke down. I thought it was blown up for hands in the ruck, but perhaps it was just that Ireland got the turnover and thus Kaplan was going back for the penalty. But the game was then delayed for a minute or two due to injury, at which point half time was blown. Italy was never given the opportunity to use the penalty. Shouldn't they have been able to kick for goal?

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
My predictions (based on the last 2 world cups in that the 2 semi final referees don't referee quarter finals)

Ireland v Wales - Steve Walsh
England v France - Jonathan Kaplan (he refereed a semi-final in 2007, they have to give him something)
South Africa v Australia - Wayne Barnes
NZ v Argentina - Alain Rolland

SF1 - Bryce Lawrence (politics)
SF2 - Craig Joubert (unless if South Africa beat the wallabies, then not sure)

Final - Alain Rolland or Wayne Barnes, dependent on who makes the final

V

vikingbrad

My predictions (based on the last 2 world cups in that the 2 semi final referees don't referee quarter finals)

Ireland v Wales - Steve Walsh
England v France - Jonathan Kaplan (he refereed a semi-final in 2007, they have to give him something)
South Africa v Australia - Wayne Barnes
NZ v Argentina - Alain Rolland

SF1 - Bryce Lawrence (politics)
SF2 - Craig Joubert (unless if South Africa beat the wallabies, then not sure)

Final - Alain Rolland or Wayne Barnes, dependent on who makes the final

Refs for QF have been announced

Lawrence AU v SA
Joubert WAL v IRE
Walsh ENG v FRA
Owens NZ v ARG

Don't want Lawrence, Joubert seems best of rest. If we knockout SA, hopefully get Joubert for SF & F

Just posted in AU QF thread but for info here

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)

Lawrence AU v SA
Joubert WAL v IRE
Walsh ENG v FRA
Owens NZ v ARG

Don't want Lawrence, Joubert seems best of rest. If we knockout SA, hopefully get Joubert for SF & F

You have to remember at the last 2 world cups, the 2 semi refs did not referee quarter finals. This still leaves referees such as Wayne Barnes, Alain Rolland and Jonathan Kaplan who can still be selected.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Romain Poite should be a touch judge in the final. And he can come on to do the scrum calls when they are on his side of the field ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Lawrence AU v SA
Joubert WAL v IRE
Walsh ENG v FRA
Owens NZ v ARG

Someone whose judgment I respect suggested to me that Steve Walsh Jr does not respond well to pressure - let's see

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Can someone clarify for me exactly what happened at the end of the first half of Italy-Ireland yesterday? IIRC, Italy had a penalty advantage around the Ireland 22. They kept attacking, but their play broke down. I thought it was blown up for hands in the ruck, but perhaps it was just that Ireland got the turnover and thus Kaplan was going back for the penalty. But the game was then delayed for a minute or two due to injury, at which point half time was blown. Italy was never given the opportunity to use the penalty. Shouldn't they have been able to kick for goal?

What happened was Mauro Bergamasco, who had been cheap-shotting and threatening to lose it entirely, lost in entirely, swung out of Cian Healy from the edge of a maul and planted three punches into the face, straight in front of the AR. Healy, to his immense credit, didn't react when targeted - again - and the penalty was reversed. Mauro should have been binned, no ifs, buts or maybes.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
:( sorry to hate on referee's after all that's happened in the past week, but for the love of god can we please, please, not have Bryce. I'll call Paddy and beg him.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
A ref cannot ref his own nation at pool stage. Should he also be disqualified from reffing his own nations pool. ... I think incompetent but if a true neutral was involved the question would not arise.

10 referees and 40 pool matches means each referee gets 4 game.
Give each referee 1 match in each pool, and if their nation is in that pool, give them one of the 'lesser' games. The 10 referees at the World Cup are supposed to be the best, so making sure there is nothing to be gained for that referee's nation should be simple.

I can't believe Australia has Bryce Lawrence for the third time in five games. Absolutely bizarre scheduling.

Nothing bizarre about it in my eyes ->

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/fo...wis-are-rigging-the-World-Cup-so-they-can-win.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'd say that Barnes and Rolland will ref the semi-finals.

Honestly - Bryce again!? What can you say? I really hope that Bryce has nothing to do with who wins on Sunday because I might go postal if he does. Somebody prepare the tranq darts!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd say that Barnes and Rolland will ref the semi-finals.
And if so, there is a good chance it will be ABs Vs Aus or SA given England are likely to knock over the frogs this weekend.

I don't understand the process that sees us have Bryce for 3 out of our first 5 games at the RWC.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Exactly - there was an occassion in the AB v Canada match where Brad Thorn took a quick tap, but having to it properly slowed him down enough that the Canadian defence could catch him without much momentum. If he'd done a foot touch style tap, he'd have made a further 2 or 3 metres and possibly even gone over.

And as well as that; it's a skill. Being able to do it on the run is a serious skill, and we shouldn't reward the absence of that skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.