• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Bitch, moan and discuss - Referees and Law Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
.... Dickenson is a strict ref, which doesn't suit the Kiwis at all
From the ABs perspective - the opposite is true - the 5 tests SD has done since 2008 have all been won by the All Blacks, I suspect they would have welcomed him in the RWC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
From the ABs perspective - the opposite is true - the 5 tests SD has done since 2008 have all been won by the All Blacks, I suspect they would have welcomed him in the RWC

Yeah but how many tests have the ABs lost since 2008? 6?

I would suggest Stu is not the only ref to have a 100% record when reffing the Kiwis.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
antipodean why do you even bother with this board? You have yet to agree with anything anyone has ever posted. That huge pointed chip on your shoulder would appear to have also taken your eye out making you even more one eyed.

J

Jay

Yeah but how many tests have the ABs lost since 2008? 6?

I would suggest Stu is not the only ref to have a 100% record when reffing the Kiwis.

9 times.

08 - Aus, SA
09 - France, SA x3
10 - Aus
11 - SA, Aus

A

antipodean

antipodean why do you even bother with this board?
Thanks for asking. I bother because I love the game, live in Australia, support the Waratahs, have played for clubs in three different states/ territories and enjoy discussing it when I can't watch it.

You have yet to agree with anything anyone has ever posted.
That's demonstrably false.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
See below - this is one of the key focus areas, will be interesting to see if the refs do take it seriously.

The IRB has issued an amended memorandum regarding high tackles

"High Tackles:
At an IRB Medical Seminar held in November 2010 at Lensbury the results of studies by the Rugby Football Union and New Zealand Rugby Football Union concluded that most injuries in Rugby in the elite Game are now occurring as a result of high tackles. The participants generally recognised that tackles above the line of the shoulders have the potential to cause serious injury and noted that a
trend had emerged whereby players responsible for such tackles were not being
adequately sanctioned.

Dangerous Grasping:

A further trend has recently emerged in the Game whereby players not in possession of the ball are being grasped and/or grabbed by an opponent in and
around the neck and/or head area, principally in an effort to clear out players from the breakdown. While such behaviour does not come under the definition of a tackle, as no ball carrier is involved nevertheless, it is dangerous play under Law 10.4(e) and/or Law 10.4(f) (playing an opponent without the ball).

The purpose of this revised Memorandum is to emphasise that as with tip tackles, (see Memorandum of 8 June 2009) this type of dangerous play must be dealt with severely by Referees and all those involved in the off-field disciplinary process. As with other types of Illegal and/or Foul Play, depending on the circumstances of the high tackle or the illegal and dangerous taking out of players not in possession of the ball, the range of sanctions can extend from a penalty kick to the player receiving a red card.

An illegal high tackle to the head and/or neck area of the opponent (in particular involving a ‘stiff arm’ or swinging arm), bears all the hallmarks of an action which should result in a yellow card or a red card being seriously considered.

The grasping and twisting of the neck and/or head area of a player to effect either a tackle or to clear out a player not in possession of the ball should also be regarded as constituting serious Illegal and/or Foul Play and Match Officials and Judicial Personnel have a responsibility to ensure that the appropriate action is taken by them.

Referees and Citing Commissioners should not make their decisions based on what they consider was the intention of the offending player. Their decision should be based on an objective assessment (as per Law 10.4(e) and Law 10.4(f)) of the overall circumstances of the tackle or the clear out.

Paddy O’Brien
Tim Gresson"

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My list of the RWC refs:
* Wayne Barnes (England) - erratic pedant
* Nigel Owens (Wales) - whistle happy pedant
* Romain Poite (France) - hopeless from the little I've seen
* Dave Pearson (England) - Haven't seen enough to judge
* Alain Rolland (Ireland) - not a referee's arsehole
* Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand) - is a referee's arsehole
* Craig Joubert (South Africa) - usually competent
* Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa) - usually hopeless
* Steve Walsh (Australia) - occasionally hopeless
* George Clancy (Ireland) - just astonishing.

May I suggest you lock yourself up in a dark room for the next 2 months. You are clearly not going to be enjoying this as all.

Take a glass half full of water with you to see you through.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Most of your criticism is pretty sound. But the expectations seem a little high considering rugby is just a game that can only be reffed subjectively.

My expectation of their performance? All I really want is for them to be consistent, then we could start hoping for accuracy.

The refs are fairly consistent at the top level. (as much as they can be in such a subjective game)

Consistency is making the same ruling 100% of the time. In a game the ref will pick up most knock ons and they will call up almost any blatant offence. Whenever the refs miss one knock on, or one blatant offence, suddenly everyone cries "INCONSISTENT". Despite the fact that when you look at the big picture, they are making these calls most of the time.

Then comes the "effect" part of the reffing. Sometimes a player off their feet wont cause any harm and they will let it go. Sometimes players going off their feet will be majorly slowing the ball down, and the ref will be calling it for 80 minutes. Consistency and subjectivity just don't mix.

The guys at the top are consistent in the basics, and they perform to the best of their ability when it comes to judging the effect of an offence. I don't like the whole "inconsistent" argument, I don't think it holds much weight. Rugby was created to play for fun, it was never meant to be played professionally. If you want a game that is perfectly officiated, look at Chess. The rules can be objectively measured and it was intended that way.

It's fine to criticize refs. But there will always be stuff to criticize them for, offences occur all the time. Whenever a try is scored, anyone can look back to the last offence the ref didn't pull-up and claim "he caused the try to be scored"...At the end of the day, any of us that have played know that refs don't win or lose games. And these guys at test level get the best refs around. If people still aren't happy, what massive changes to this list of refs would they make? Complaining is pointless if there is no definitive solution.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Most of your criticism is pretty sound. But the expectations seem a little high considering rugby is just a game that can only be reffed subjectively.

The refs are fairly consistent at the top level. (as much as they can be in such a subjective game)

Consistency is making the same ruling 100% of the time. In a game the ref will pick up most knock ons and they will call up almost any blatant offence. Whenever the refs miss one knock on, or one blatant offence, suddenly everyone cries "INCONSISTENT". Despite the fact that when you look at the big picture, they are making these calls most of the time.

Then comes the "effect" part of the reffing. Sometimes a player off their feet wont cause any harm and they will let it go. Sometimes players going off their feet will be majorly slowing the ball down, and the ref will be calling it for 80 minutes. Consistency and subjectivity just don't mix.

The guys at the top are consistent in the basics, and they perform to the best of their ability when it comes to judging the effect of an offence. I don't like the whole "inconsistent" argument, I don't think it holds much weight. Rugby was created to play for fun, it was never meant to be played professionally. If you want a game that is perfectly officiated, look at Chess. The rules can be objectively measured and it was intended that way.

It's fine to criticize refs. But there will always be stuff to criticize them for, offences occur all the time. Whenever a try is scored, anyone can look back to the last offence the ref didn't pull-up and claim "he caused the try to be scored"...At the end of the day, any of us that have played know that refs don't win or lose games. And these guys at test level get the best refs around. If people still aren't happy, what massive changes to this list of refs would they make? Complaining is pointless if there is no definitive solution.

Great post.

At the Level 1 referees course (1 day) you learn the laws and where to stand and then get sent out to referee a game.
At the level 2 course (2 days) it's all about learning how "not to play a penalty" through management and looking at the bigger picture.
The level 3 course is a full year and is by invitation only. I am unsure what happens there though, I know you need to complete 11 small projects and 1 big project about any subject you want.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The refereeing was top drawer on Friday and Saturday. Like the players they looked in top form for the tournament.

Of all people (since I usually don't rate him) Bryce Lawrence had a superb game. He gave the attacking team every chance to get clean ball at the breakdown and consistently pinged transgressors right until the end of the game.

Steve Walsh was very sharp in the France game and didn't talk too much, and Nigel Owens communicated with the players a lot better instead of lecturing them in the Fiji match.

Well done those men.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
The refereeing was top drawer on Friday and Saturday. Like the players they looked in top form for the tournament.

Of all people (since I usually don't rate him) Bryce Lawrence had a superb game. He gave the attacking team every chance to get clean ball at the breakdown and consistently pinged transgressors right until the end of the game.

Steve Walsh was very sharp in the France game and didn't talk too much, and Nigel Owens communicated with the players a lot better instead of lecturing them in the Fiji match.

Well done those men.

I especially liked Walsh's showing. He seemed to have genuine interest in making the game flow. Also his shutdown of the Japanese prop trying to waste time was gold

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Seems refs are taking a pretty strong line against dummy runners. Seen a couple of examples where the defensive team has tackled the wrong player and got the penalty. They weren't impeded from tackling the player with the ball, just chose to tackle the dummy runner.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Seems refs are taking a pretty strong line against dummy runners. Seen a couple of examples where the defensive team has tackled the wrong player and got the penalty. They weren't impeded from tackling the player with the ball, just chose to tackle the dummy runner.

Whether a dummy runner in front of the carrying player has impeded the defence rather than just confused it is a very subjective question. One man's impeded is another man's confused. Personally I am quite happy they seem to have tightened up on the practice, defences should have a clear view and clear run towards the attacking ball carrier. The dummy runner has been getting the best of the deal for some time, I'm happy that the pendulum is moving back towards the centre and just hope it doesn't overshoot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's a chicken and the egg thing isn't it?

The law indicates that a player shouldn't run in front of the ball - then we punters judge whether or not a defender was impeded. We analyse if further as to whether there was a physical impedance or a visual impedance. If it was a visual impedance attackers would argue that it should be allowed, but defenders would argue that the visual impedance was created by an illegality: running in front of the ball carrier, often blocking the view of the defender, thus it should be pinged ipso facto.

How the world has turned. Everybody was pointing their fingers at the Brumbies about 10 years ago, then all teams started doing illegal dummy runs in front of the line of the ball carrier and therefore against the letter of the law. It became one of those things allowed by referees and became quasi-legal.

Now the crackdown on it has changed matters. Why this wasn't done years ago, instead of at a RWC, deserves censure, but the idea of crackdowns in general has my vote these days.

Lets have more of them after the RWC.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rolland is cracking down on the breakdown as at oranges v. Italy, as all the others have done. Keep it going .

C

chief

Rolland is cracking down on the breakdown as at oranges v. Italy, as all the others have done. Keep it going .

The Wallabies are going to have to learn to keep their feet. I look forward to the Wales v South Africa game this evening to see how Barnes policies it.

Rolland was strict, very strict. He relaxed a bit in the 2nd half.

Good accuracy from all refs, but I'd like to see more cards come out. It's been frustrating to see so many penealties come yet no cards and all penalty kicks. Walsh did it yesterday, Lawrence did it yesterday, and Rolland did it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom