• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
The most glaring miss was early in the game where he completely missed a tackle which led to a Springbok break.

To be fair, that was an absolute ripper of a sidestep from JdV - and he's done that to some pretty quality defenders over the years. So generally I agree with your last sentence.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
If Cruden is in, Wallabies will expose his poor defense and kicking game.

How is Cruden's defence poor? He's a small guy, but he has loads of courage and decent technique. He might struggle to bring down a Samo, but I can't see him being any more troubled by McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Beale than any of our other 5/8 options would have been.

And I think his kicking game is quite good now. It's improved hugely since last year.

My only concern with his game is his obsession with the offload. I can just see a Mortlock-esque intercept snatching away the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Barnes ends up at 12, then we simply must use him as the no. 1 positional kicker. He is the most accurate kicker we have.

I expect Genia to also have a much better game vs the ABs, so if our forwards turn up like they did in Brisbane and against the Boks, we are in with a very good chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Slade is gone, are they going to replace him?

Will Cruden be picked at 10 or will they put Weepu there?

If Slade gets replaced, will they start Cruden and have everyone's favourite 10, Stephen Donald on the bench?

U

Utility Back

How is Cruden's defence poor? He's a small guy, but he has loads of courage and decent technique. He might struggle to bring down a Samo, but I can't see him being any more troubled by McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Beale than any of our other 5/8 options would have been.

And I think his kicking game is quite good now. It's improved hugely since last year.

My only concern with his game is his obsession with the offload. I can just see a Mortlock-esque intercept snatching away the game.

I dont think its too flash, Kafer did a analysis of him in a few games that made him look very quade-esque.

In attack though he's very good, really have to watch for the slipping between two defenders and offloading.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Slade is gone, are they going to replace him?

Will Cruden be picked at 10 or will they put Weepu there?

If Slade gets replaced, will they start Cruden and have everyone's favourite 10, Stephen Donald on the bench?

My guess is he wouldn't be replaced, Donald or Brett would be next in line and are no better than Weepu on his day. Add in his familiarity with the team and game plans it would be a big gamble with 2 weeks to go.

Cruden to start then move Weepu to 10 and Cowan to 9 off the bench is safer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem with Weepu being the first choice half and backup 10 is his inability to play 80 minutes well.

If he is the backup 10 as well as the starting halfback, his last 20 minutes are going to be average.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
McCabe was good and all but I really think we need to have Barnes at 12 to provide a much needed foil to Cooper's erratic play. We were rudderless for so much of that match it was scary. An assertive voice, a cool head and an astute kicking game would have been absolutely invaluable right from the get go.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Weepu stood up last night and was very impressive, doing very well with the added responsibility since Carters injury. Think he will lift again for the semi.

Where are the ABs standing with injuries? Dagg & Kahui will make the side quite a bit stronger than last night even though SBW was good on the wing. Muliana is sad to say well past his best and is slowing very quickly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe was good and all but I really think we need to have Barnes at 12 to provide a much needed foil to Cooper's erratic play. We were rudderless for so much of that match it was scary. An assertive voice, a cool head and an astute kicking game would have been absolutely invaluable right from the get go.

Maybe Barnes needs to play at 10 to foil Cooper's erratic play?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we will be playing exactly the same XV again and probably the same 22 if everyone is fit.

If McCabe can't play, Barnes will start at 12 and we might see a 5-2 bench again or Turner or Horne joining the bench. Potentially Horne could replace Fainga'a on the bench, but I'd be surprised to see that happen.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Wee pu reached a new level last night. So much so I'd say they have to keep him at 9 for 80. My read was that Cruden clicked. He belongs in the ABs. I'd say Nonu thinks so too by the way his body language with Cruden said 'you'll do son'.

I'd play Cruden with Slade benched, but Henry won't like the gamble I'd think and will just sub Cruden on if Slade wobbles.

It's coming together for the ABs, big time, but maybe just a little late we hope.

If Cooper plays well it will be on for young and old. If he doesn't we're stuffed sorry, Barnes isn't enough at 10 I fear and compensating at 12 won't be either.

Funny, for all the time and changes, same equation as Suncorp Bled. It all comes down to Genia and Cooper. Rembering that now we have to do it in front of 30,000 mental kiwis at Eden Park.

Now there's a broken hoodoo to salivate for.

J

Jay

Weepu stood up last night and was very impressive, doing very well with the added responsibility since Carters injury. Think he will lift again for the semi.

Where are the ABs standing with injuries? Dagg & Kahui will make the side quite a bit stronger than last night even though SBW was good on the wing. Muliana is sad to say well past his best and is slowing very quickly.

The rumours are that neither Dagg or Kahui was particularly injured. If it had been a semi-final, both would have been a definite possibility to be included.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're far more potent with a Cooper-Barnes combo than a Barnes-McCabe combo but I really don't expect you to see that.

If x is the problem, you don't replace y with z.

Barnes has been excellent, but the weekend showed that having him play at 12 isn't necessarily going to solve Cooper's problems, particularly when Cooper is not in good form.

But if there's no injuries then Deans isn't going to make any changes anyways.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we still need to improve our support play if we are going to win. Runners at speed chasing kicks and supporting other runners at speed.

Cant win without a big game from the forwards. And the forwards cant sustain their performance without the backs converting chances into points.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fainga'a or even Horne need to start at 12 if Paddy don't come good. That hard front on defence is an ingredient we badly need. Barnes and Burgess to cover the backline on the bench. One crucial addition on the bench needs to be Hodgson. Fight over who the other loose forward replacement should be all you want but a genuine fetcher on the bench is a must for this game.

We also need to take a leaf from the French and get up and contest nearly every NZ lineout. NZ's lineout as significantly improved in the last couple of years but is not that good that we need to concede it to them. Don't let kicking be an easy pressure relief for them. Make it so they either face our back three on counter attack or a lineout that is putting the heat on them. It is also crucial that we pour numbers into the breakdown and make them do the same. We all know how they like to fan out but we can't allow them to do this. If we can get one one one match ups, I will back our boys any day of the week.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I thought the All Blacks were great last night. Never flustered, never panicked even when behind on the board. The Argies were allowed to slow the ball down a lot but the ABs just kept piling the pressure on. Set-piece looks very good. Scrums in particular look very formidable. They don't seem to be trying to do too much but just confident that if they keep to the game plan, the points will come.

As a side note, 3 of the 4 semi-finalists have kiwi coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.