• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If x is the problem, you don't replace y with z.

Barnes has been excellent, but the weekend showed that having him play at 12 isn't necessarily going to solve Cooper's problems, particularly when Cooper is not in good form.

But if there's no injuries then Deans isn't going to make any changes anyways.

Deans would have been much better off shifting Barnes to 10 with Cooper at 12 when he came on. Barnes can either kick or distribute to a wider Cooper who would revel in a little more space. This worked well during the pool stages.

If we had the ball in the centre we could also stand one either side of the ruck.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The balance of the bench ended up about right. It was not a game for Higgers, McCalman was the perfect sub. Fainga'a and Barnes were both needed with injuries to Beale and McCabe. I wonder if we'll see the same this weekend.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If McCabe starts we have to have 4/3 for injury cover. Bench will be a gamble as to weather deans picks fiangaa or horne, as well as higgers or benny mac.

I think samo will be absolutely stuffed after 55 minutes. Wallabies All Blacks games are the fastest rugby is ever played.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Deans would have been much better off shifting Barnes to 10 with Cooper at 12 when he came on. Barnes can either kick or distribute to a wider Cooper who would revel in a little more space. This worked well during the pool stages.

If we had the ball in the centre we could also stand one either side of the ruck.

You don't want Cooper defending at 12 though.

It would probably be safer to have McCabe with no shoulders in that instance.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Forecast is for showers/rain in auckland. It will be interesting to see if QC (Quade Cooper) can rediscover his form which has been lacking this tournament, especially in the wet and wind of Auckland.

On form, is cruden gets the start, I see the contest of the 10's being even.

If beale is out, I think JOC (James O'Connor) is the better option at 15 than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been solid and I think putting either McCabe of Faainga at 13 in lieu of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a step down (no disrespect to the young fellas). He just provides better running lines with great d. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be crucial to handling Connie Smith.

Kaino looked sore last night and still played fantastic. the battle between him and elsom will be huge.

Genia seems off since the ireland game and if both he and quade are off again, the AB's will punish that. Quade still uncertain under the high ball and trying to do super 15 regular season work on the counter attack....(see his non-chalent collect and attempted run back) this is knock out stages, just return with a kick!

Should Australia and Wales both advance to the final, the only autumn test in cardiff will be an absolutely cracking rematch!

C

chriscullen

Could be nothing but Colin Slade not on the team bus this morning and ABs have called a press conference for later today.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd imagine there is a good chance he is off at a hospital having a scan on his groin.

Kurtley Beale and Pat McCabe are probably sitting in a different hospital waiting room right now too.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I hope Cruden stretches his groin like a mad man all week.

Unlucky for colin, but he just seemed a bit out of sorts. He was also out of first receiver a fair bit. I'm not sure the tactic there, but his confidence seemed a bit low after he dropped that pass.

I read that Dan Carter is staying in the team hotel and spending all his time with cruden and slade mentoring them.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Rico not a bad pick up.......same not to be said for donald. I wonder why not Brett?

How would issy dagg go in a 10 jersey.......I don't reckon he'd be too out of place.

P

pete88

Not sure a RWC Semi is the time to answer the Dagg at 10 question...

Also, lol @ jay on Cruden's groin (no pun intended)

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mils shoulder looks serious. Thats very likely to be his last test. Im happy he got his 100.
His leadership at the back will be missed.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I know that's probably a typo, but just to be a pedant - it's Hosea, not Rico. A Gear brother finally makes a WC squad.

thanks. was a typo....would be a bad pick up if it was rico!

re dagg at 10 - I wasn't suggesting starting him, but in the event something happened to cruden during the game, he could be a good option although this is obvioulsy something that should have been trialled or at least worked on earlier.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Does anyone have stats regarding time played this year that includes Super XV and Tests?

Mainly interested in the Wobs but it would be very interesting to see for SA and NZ as well. Reason is i can't think of anyone that will have played more rugby this season than Coops and was wondering what effect his form could be attributed to playing a heap more rugby than anyone else.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Genia was up there for SuperXV but then sat out a pool game and gets subbed more regularly at tests. Both looking out of sorts would be at the top of a list about time on park.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
If McCabe starts we have to have 4/3 for injury cover. Bench will be a gamble as to weather deans picks fiangaa or horne, as well as higgers or benny mac.

I think samo will be absolutely stuffed after 55 minutes. Wallabies All Blacks games are the fastest rugby is ever played.

If McCabe and Beale are fit, Deans will stick with the same 22 as in Wellington.

If McCabe is out, then he will probably start Antfinger at 12 and bring Horne or a backrower onto the bench. His selection form does no suggest he will put Turner in the 22 ahead of either.

If Beale is out then recent selection form = JOC (James O'Connor) to 15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing, Antfinger to 13. Mitchell would probably have started on the wing if available, but he's not.

Either way the disruption is the same as in other recent games.

If they are both out, then as above but Barnes starts at 12, Horne onto the bench, and maybe he goes with a 4/3 with Turner on the bench. Its the only way I can see Turner getting into the 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.