• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF1: New Zealand v England

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
England used the side-line so well. Never seen NZ or a Tier 1 rugby team tackled into touch so much in one game.

I do like the NZ wingers, they were the form players. But I do feel they were just missing an Ioane or a Savea out wide to create something from nothing.

Also Mounga didn't do much. Barret at 10 may have served better, he looked dangerous everytime he had the ball.

You've got to admit that Reece saved their bacon a few times too. He's one athletic player . . . but I hear what you're saying.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
England used the side-line so well. Never seen NZ or a Tier 1 rugby team tackled into touch so much in one game.

I do like the NZ wingers, they were the form players. But I do feel they were just missing an Ioane or a Savea out wide to create something from nothing.

Also Mounga didn't do much. Barret at 10 may have served better, he looked dangerous everytime he had the ball.

NZ needed a big body in the backline to get over the advantage line. With Tuilagi rushing up as the second last man they needed to get a runner going at Ford.

Fair to say that no one has really cracked the rush defence.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
So, New Zealand, I have plans to watch this at a mate's place with some steak and some fine Amisfield Pinot Noir. Don't ignore my viticultural gesture of support. Get it done.
A.B.E.

All good, except Pinot Noir with steak - Ych-a-fi

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well the English played bloody well, can be no doubt they thoroughly deserved the win and by the gap they won by. I not into how badly we played , but very very impressed with how well English went. It's not often well to be honest I have nevr seen Whitelock and Retallic so outplayed, and the English loosies just followed up and never allowed us into game. Funnily enough I don't feel too bad as I genuinely think it was just a case of being outplayed by a better team, and so they should be congratulated. I quite sure the sun will come up again in the morning and I will be looking forward to the Bok/Welsh game.
Will take a VERY good performance to beat the English next week!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a game, probably the best test match of the last four years. ABs were both smashed for most of the game and yet only out of the game with 5 mins to go which is testament to them. The poms tactics were spot on, other than shutting up shop a little early. A bit like Ireland, it looks like it was one year two far for the ABs. I know kiwi fans will be gutted but that was a great game of rugby, reffed well by Owens.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can’t it ever be said by a NZ fan

We have a good side

But the opposition had a better side and simply played much better and were coached much better

The NZ ‘explanation’ always has to be..

We lost ‘cause we were shit

There’s another universe out there where a country can assemble a simply better team and a simply better (this time) coaching group

Well I said we were beaten by a very good side , so perhaps I not really a NZ fan, f*** me and there is me supporting them all my 65 years and intending to carry on for rest of my life!

Agree with mark-s Owens reffed game real well, and I will say what I always reckon he is the best going around regardless of what I read on rugby forums!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Not until the offside is more rigorously refereed, no.

You could see what NZ were trying with their little kicks behind, trying to make England second guess rushing up too fast. Just lead to handing back the ball too often and more oft than not it seemed they were doing it in their own half.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shit, fuck, damn. Anyone but the English!!

And how fucking embarrassing was that gutless effort? What a night for the AB's to morph into such an error ridden bunch of all round useless fluffybunnys! Apart from Savea's gift try we couldn't even cross the gain line let alone threaten the try line. We were lucky not be beaten by a much bigger margin.

But the Pom's were fucking brilliant, and Jones' game plan worked a treat. (Will be interesting to hear the Aussie views on him as the next Wallaby coach).
Itoje was a colossus. The best game I think I've seen a lock play.

I thought the worst part of this exit would be the endlessly smug gloating from the English, but now think our stream of autopsies, recriminations, and national mourning will be much worse.

Congrats to England but I hope the Boks get through and burst your bubble!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You've got to admit that Reece saved their bacon a few times too. He's one athletic player . but I hear what you're saying.

He did, he was great. I feel NZ weren't going to score a team try built on pressure - England were doing this so much better. They needed some individual brilliance - they've got out of trouble with this before, they just didn't have any in this case. Barrett the only threatening one really.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
ffs. do I have to use a bigger font?

Haha. But what was the text space ratio between that one line

And what was contained in all the many, many more following lines describing

‘We were shit’

Is it not an old truth in rugby

Really, really powerful teams that do virtually everything better than the crushed opposition always, always make the other side ‘look like shit’. That is, cause and effect, what ‘crushing’ ends up amounting to

And England tonight crushed the ABs, just crushed them, no question about it, mentally and physically

AB’s only try came from a huge and unusual English lineout mistake

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
NZ needed a big body in the backline to get over the advantage line. With Tuilagi rushing up as the second last man they needed to get a runner going at Ford.

I thought AL Brown was the answer for this, he was easily contained though - SBW is a big body and also easily contained.

I feel Barrett at 10 would have helped a lot - the chip and chase of his would have been very handy.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He did, he was great. I feel NZ weren't going to score a team try built on pressure - England were doing this so much better. They needed some individual brilliance - they've got out of trouble with this before, they just didn't have any in this case. Barrett the only threatening one really.

Maybe that's their issue. Players like Barrett covering up some systemic issues with their game. They sure looked good against Ireland, but on reflection, maybe Ireland just looked poor against NZ. I know people were joking somewhat, but it does make you reflect on the AUS v ENG game a little differently after seeing tonight's performance.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe that's their issue. Players like Barrett covering up some systemic issues with their game. They sure looked good against Ireland, but on reflection, maybe Ireland just looked poor against NZ. I know people were joking somewhat, but it does make you reflect on the AUS v ENG game a little differently after seeing tonight's performance.
No, I don’t think England got out of 3rd gear against us. They emptied the tank tonight.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

It really does, unlike us NZ cleared their ball from the 22 but they didn't get much distance and England were just right back putting pressure on them - so if we actually cleared from our 22 this would have been the likely outcome too.

Although, England had so much turnover ball and NZ didn't have much - The Pooper probably had more turnover then NZ did all game.

Gotta love the match-ups in rugby. Aus not looking that bad now.

EDIT: Although still clearly a level below England.