• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 - All Blacks pool matches

How far will AB progress?

• A. Won't make it out of the Pool

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • B. Beaten in QF

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • C. Beaten in SF

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • D. Beaten in Final

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • E. ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, nah... it was a straight forward yellow card offence, as confirmed by the judiciary in their ruling.
Again - you're welcome to put such faith in the judiciary....

I'm tempted to go through the weekend's games and find players not binding LOL

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not worried about the first yellow - they were on a warning. All good.

The second happens all the time - if Barrett isn't bound to Marx, then half of the rucks don't have players binding.

Yes, it does happen all the time, and players get carded for it too. He made a dangerous play in the ruck, contrary to law 9.20. The TMO deemed the offense to be sufficient to warrant a yellow card. The judicial committee found that he made contact with the neck area of Marx, which interestingly would have put him afoul of Law 9.20(b).

The yellow card was entirely appropriate. Not exactly sure what your overall point is, so do with that information what you will.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yes, it does happen all the time, and players get carded for it too. He made a dangerous play in the ruck, contrary to law 9.20. The TMO deemed the offense to be sufficient to warrant a yellow card. The judicial committee found that he made contact with the neck area of Marx, which interestingly would have put him afoul of Law 9.20(b).

The yellow card was entirely appropriate. Not exactly sure what your overall point is, so do with that information what you will.
If by 'neck area' they mean 'shoulder' then sure. But there is no evidence that Barrett hit the neck on the Stan footage. There may be some better footage they have.

It doesn't matter - refs get calls wrong and I'm of the firm belief that teams have to play at a level to take refs' calls out of it as much as possible. For me the problem is that Marx is clearly on the wrong side and given that cleaning him out puts you at risk of being carded, how do you get rid of him?

The very first penalty France won on the weekend was for Papali'i holding on. The problem was that the French No.1 is on the wrong side of the breakdown after making the tackle and Tupou Vaa'i trips over him trying to get to the hooker making the turnover.

Instead of the tackler being called for not rolling away, Papali'i is called for not releasing the ball.

I'm actually quite interested to see if the All Blacks (or any team) come up with a way to combat this tactic.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
If by 'neck area' they mean 'shoulder' then sure. But there is no evidence that Barrett hit the neck on the Stan footage. There may be some better footage they have.

It doesn't matter - refs get calls wrong and I'm of the firm belief that teams have to play at a level to take refs' calls out of it as much as possible. For me the problem is that Marx is clearly on the wrong side and given that cleaning him out puts you at risk of being carded, how do you get rid of him?

The very first penalty France won on the weekend was for Papali'i holding on. The problem was that the French No.1 is on the wrong side of the breakdown after making the tackle and Tupou Vaa'i trips over him trying to get to the hooker making the turnover.

Instead of the tackler being called for not rolling away, Papali'i is called for not releasing the ball.

I'm actually quite interested to see if the All Blacks (or any team) come up with a way to combat this tactic.

On that one, I actually think it was less that Wardi was on the wrong side of the ruck, and more that Vaa'i wasn't accurate in his cleanout. It looks like Wardi rolled away reasonably quickly once he had effected the tackle.

If I'm brutally honest, Codie Taylor should have cleaned out Marchand. There's no reason that Papali'i should have been isolated if Taylor and to a lesser extent Vaa'i had done their jobs. Paste that one in the 'Codie Taylor does stupid things' scrapbook.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
“The vibe in the group is so positive and the commitment is so noticeable,” said the likely starting fullback. ”There’s just this tremendous buy-in and desire to do great things in France. The level of optimism is as high as it's ever been.”
ffs.gif

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
On that one, I actually think it was less that Wardi was on the wrong side of the ruck, and more that Vaa'i wasn't accurate in his cleanout. It looks like Wardi rolled away reasonably quickly once he had effected the tackle.

If I'm brutally honest, Codie Taylor should have cleaned out Marchand. There's no reason that Papali'i should have been isolated if Taylor and to a lesser extent Vaa'i had done their jobs. Paste that one in the 'Codie Taylor does stupid things' scrapbook.
I agree that Taylor should have cleaned Marchand out but there is no doubt that Wardi was on the wrong side and he interfered with Vaa’i’s attempt to clean Marchand out. Whether Vaa’i is accurate or not isn’t relevant.

I also understand the ref reluctance to blow the whistle because Wardi LOOKS like he is trying to roll away and it’s not clear the interference is intentional.

Which is why I’m interested to see how teams make any adjustments.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree that Taylor should have cleaned Marchand out but there is no doubt that Wardi was on the wrong side and he interfered with Vaa’i’s attempt to clean Marchand out. Whether Vaa’i is accurate or not isn’t relevant.

I also understand the ref reluctance to blow the whistle because Wardi LOOKS like he is trying to roll away and it’s not clear the interference is intentional.

Which is why I’m interested to see how teams make any adjustments.

Yeah that's a fair point. There doesn't seem to be too much consistency with how much opportunity a tackler is given to roll away before he is penalised either.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually wonder how ABs are going to adjust to reffing of screening catchers of the ball from kicks. When we beat Boks earlier in year ABs kept contestable kicks going so everyone was on move, but I thought at Twickers and then the French, just made sure there was about 3 players screening/blocking the kick chasers. It's really a good tactic although it very close to interfernce, if the refs are allowing it another tactic has to be used.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
for all the talk about the Wallabies or Springboks pulling a replacement dodgy, it appears NZ have been the first to do so. Backrower in for a winger. Back issue, hasn’t even played a match. Yeah right. Back issue the best excuse isn’t it? No independent doctor could ever deny it, they’re impossible to diagnose or fix.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
for all the talk about the Wallabies or Springboks pulling a replacement dodgy, it appears NZ have been the first to do so. Backrower in for a winger. Back issue, hasn’t even played a match. Yeah right. Back issue the best excuse isn’t it? No independent doctor could ever deny it, they’re impossible to diagnose or fix.
I have said I thought similar myself qwerty, could be wrong, but I wondered if there was a good chance this was to see whether Blackadder would come through first games back? But by nature I tend to be wary of these things anyway, and could be miles off, as I would of thought if that was case, Clarke would of been the one anyway. I definitely think it was an injury that worked out .

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It would be the greatest thing to have happened in rugby since '99.

It would be a poor result for Australian rugby. The idea that the Kiwis can be dissed by the 6 Nations perennial "also rans" in the RWC and this not impact the standing of southern rugby is ludicrous.

It's time for the slackers to pull themselves together. It's OK by me if they get eradicated by Ireland or South Africa (France is already done). But not by Italy.

<begrudging AB supporter for this one game>

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It would be a poor result for Australian rugby. The idea that the Kiwis can be dissed by the 6 Nations perennial "also rans" in the RWC and this not impact the standing of southern rugby is ludicrous.

It's time for the slackers to pull themselves together. It's OK by me if they get eradicated by Ireland or South Africa (France is already done). But not by Italy.

<begrudging AB supporter for this one game>
Nah, with respect, fuck all that.