• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He was good. I nearly gave him a point but settled on Giteau instead

So many players deserved points, it was a hard choice.
Foley or Poey for top honours
Gits, Beale - great performances
Front Row - deserve honours for dominating the scrum.

Surprisingly the poorest game was probably Falou with a few errors but he still managed some threatening runs. Oh and phipps for his 3 shitty passes costing us dearly.

Everyone else solid as!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Let's be real,Fardy & Sio were available.
Pocock,no,but using Pooper was considered to be highly controversial,with many more doubters than supporters.
If you were to say the squad has been strengthened by the inclusion of Douglas,Mumm & Gits,I would agree,but would add their inclusion was Cheika's doing,requiring him to manage up,and to not accept the status quo.
I think he also has some of the Reds players playing in much stronger form at the higher Test level,than they were performing at Super level earlier this year.
Both Sio and Fardy where injured

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps had some good play too. He just has a couple of unfortunate errors when he first came on. I don't think he was getting a lot of help from his runners who weren't clearly nominating.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wales will want the win, whoever tops our pool will play Scotland the other South Africa & then if good enough NZ.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Quick thoughts:-

1) Pocock amazing over the ball and showed the lack of breakdown work from the English pack as a whole. The defence for Pocock to achieve his steals was also amazing, low ankle tackles. Giteau and Hooper tops in this regard. Credit also to Pocock's supports at each ruck holding him in there long enough to get the steals. Great technique all round.

2) Beale - my opposition to his inclusion in the side has nothing whatsoever to do with performance. But there is one massive aspect to his play that shows the impact that Chieka & Grey as had on his game - defence. in the second half he put on a fully dominant tackle in the 13 channel that I immediately attributed to Kurindrani. I was quite literally stunned when KB (Kurtley Beale) got up and back into the line. Massive development in this regard. Also the work with Foley for the try was brilliant. Beautiful play.

3) Malone - take a bow - Foley 100% in the last two games isn't it? The striking action looks smother and more consistent.

4) The scrum, both starting and finishing 8's because the Australian Scrum isn't just about the front rows anymore. I love the win Wallabies, but to munt the English scrum at Twickenham in such a game as this just makes it memorable and piles the salt in the wound. The 2003 RWC final loss never really bothered me that much because England were always the better side with a far better pack and all round game. The one that was always shameful for me was 2007 and set the tone for the Australian scrum to be penalised consistently over the next 8 years. A poster from NZ (sorry not looking back in thread to quote mid post) talked about the Wallaby scrum taking a step to the side before driving straight to exacerbate the Marler 90degree drive, and then the Vunipola issues as well when he came on. Quitely likely you are correct, but I do not see how lateral movement as long as the scrum remains straight is illegal? Also I think it was Nutta on the Blog suggested that this was the way to deal with the Marler issue if Kepu and Holmes were strong enough to hold the scrum up and drive straight.

5) A lot of work has gone into the lineout over the last week. Vast improvement.

6) Nathan Grey - yet again take a bow.

Finally - Romain Poite didn't favour any side with any glaring clangers. A few 50:50 calls went each way and the only contentious issue I can see was the Burgess head high not getting called out. I expect he will be cited in any event.

Great win - elated with the result and the way the Wallabies played.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fardy was injured. Moore was injured (Hooper was Captain). Sio was available but too fresh, We had Carter instead of Douglas. McCalman instead of Pocock. Front row replacements no where near as good.

The shape of the team is hugely different from last year.
Sio was out too..

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unsurprisingly the few commentors on the front page who were rubbishing Foley earlier in the week and calling for Cheika to resign if we lost haven't been sighted in the match review post by Brumby Jack.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Phipps had some good play too. He just has a couple of unfortunate errors when he first came on. I don't think he was getting a lot of help from his runners who weren't clearly nominating.

Phipps threw some complete Howlers, If Horne goes home then Nick White may get a call up.
When I look at his face (Nick Phipps) I see a hyper active six year old with a blank stare when you try to talk him into calming down.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Phipps threw some complete Howlers, If Horne goes home then Nick White may get a call up.
When I look at his face (Nick Phipps) I see a hyper active six year old with a blank stare when you try to talk him into calming down.

Cheiks might need to give Phipps a sedative before he comes on - was too eager. Calmed down OK after that, but there were some anxious moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.