• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

B

Bobby Sands

Interesting and echos my own thoughts on the situation hence why I had Genia/Foley with To'omua off the bench for the next game.. interesting that he believes we just run out with our best 15 for the next two games too.

I think we do that too, with some minimal rotation. Lets build some momentum and combinations.

Playing a team of blokes who won't play together again, for the sake of just stumbling over these sides makes no sense.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we do that too, with some minimal rotation. Lets build some momentum and combinations.

Playing a team of blokes who won't play together again, for the sake of just stumbling over these sides makes no sense.
Agree to a large extent but there should be some rotation for recovery and tactical reasons. I would definitely play near full strength against Georgia but would rotate some guys to the bench for a breather, thinking front row, against Uruguay. I would also start guys like Tupou, FF (Folau Fainga'a), Petaia, To'omua because they may offer upsides.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would appear, that in a country of 25 million people there is no one who can compently play 10 for the national rugby team.

Best we have is a 12 that goes alright at 10 sometimes. For that reason, To'omua should be "rested" (protected) in the 2 remaining pool games against opposition that the other 14 should handle easily regardless of who wears 10. We need our one good 10 fully fit come quarters.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree to a large extent but there should be some rotation for recovery and tactical reasons. I would definitely play near full strength against Georgia but would rotate some guys to the bench for a breather, thinking front row, against Uruguay. I would also start guys like Tupou, FF (Folau Fainga'a), Petaia, To'omua because they may offer upsides.

Similar to my side in the first post ;)

Great minds.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It would appear, that in a country of 25 million people there is no one who can compently play 10 for the national rugby team.
Best we have is a 12 that goes alright at 10 sometimes. For that reason, To'omua should be "rested" (protected) in the 2 remaining pool games against opposition that the other 14 should handle easily regardless of who wears 10. We need our one good 10 fully fit come quarters.

I get the sarcasm, but you have to concede recent performances have left some question marks over who you'd play against someone like England in a QF. I don't think it is just about resting, but what they want to get out of these next two games (besides obviously winning).

I guess we will know soon enough which direction they decide to go. If the chatter from the media is correct it's sounding like it could be To'omua starting - yet another starting 10 which presents its own continuity considerations. Me personally I wouldn't mind seeing Foley / To'omua in the next game and CLL / To'omua in the following.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It doesn't paint us (Australian team/coach) in a good light does it.
It shows that either a) he didn't pay attention; b) he let his emotions get the better of him and he forgot; C) he was frustrated with the lack of consistency.

He's got his shovel and is continuing to dig his hole

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would prefer the opposite with Foley & Lilo will play roles to find who is the bench option for the 1/4

I would guess the full dress rehearsal team for the Georgia match
Sounds like a Cheika has already decided that To'omua rides the pine. CLLs structure as a 5/8 is the best of the three if we play to the game plan. Even maybe give a half to each. Genia has an off game after starring against Fiji. I think he’s better suited to coming home as well.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Doran says that White and Lilo will be the halves with To'omua still on the bench, Dempsey will be 6, Simmons and Coleman in the row, and the front row will be rotated. Wayne Smith meanwhile reporting that Petaia is fit and starting on the wing.

Fill in the gaps:

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Simmons
5. Coleman
6. Dempsey
9. White
10. Lealiifano
11. Petaia

22. To'omua

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

In our country of 25 million there are quite a few who could play 10 for our national team. They are playing NRL.

And there is always O'Connor, who looks as though he could fill just about any spot in the backline to me.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is it really a suprise? We have had one genuine world class 10 since professionalism, and he was a creation at senior pro level.

Our junior/club systems haven't thrown up a top ranking 10 since what, late 70s?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It shows that either a) he didn't pay attention; b) he let his emotions get the better of him and he forgot; C) he was frustrated with the lack of consistency.

He's got his shovel and is co inntinuing to dig his hole
D) doesn't think it was a dangerous carry

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

He's got his shovel and is continuing to dig his hole

... or he's actually smarter than that and is using this to turn the focus off the actual players or even the game plan and to help him create this underdog, us vs. the world narrative in camp. Eddie has always been good at the misdirection, Cheika might have emulated some of that.

I guess we'll never 100% know until he releases his memoirs.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
. or he's actually smarter than that and is using this to turn the focus off the actual players or even the game plan and to help him create this underdog, us vs. the world narrative in camp. Eddie has always been good at the misdirection, Cheika might have emulated some of that.

I guess we'll never 100% know until he releases his memoirs.

Sometimes I get the feeling he's a mad genius, but only rarely do we see the genius side

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Fingers crossed that Petaia is fit to play on Saturday- will be great to see how he fairs at the national level.