• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That team against that opposition, should be a slaughter. Anything less than 50 will be a fail.

AUS to keep the tryless. I expect we will score 10 + trys. Score of 100 very possible.

NZ beating USA 63-0 was a signal that no matter who plays, high scores are going to occur. No falling down in a heap because the opposition isn't strong. Game plan and structures and effort all continue despite the opposition and the score line.
We have to do the same.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ 24-hour embargo on mentioning results from other matches in a match thread (tho I s'pose by mis-identifying one of the teams you technically haven't :)).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That team against that opposition, should be a slaughter. Anything less than 50 will be a fail.

AUS to keep the tryless. I expect we will score 10 + trys. Score of 100 very possible.

I disagree, the ball is like a bar of soap, the ABs dropped a million balls, we have less skills, we will drop 2,000,000 balls

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure why To'omua is playing in a position he won't play again this tournament. Not sure why he is playing at all given we can't afford him any chance of injury.

JOC (James O'Connor) must be the backup 10/12.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him with some gametime at 10.

On the risking injury front, I think it's still worth playing To'omua. He's really only played 20-35mins off the bench, so game time for him actually makes sense.

Given there are 2 games until QF's in my view resting him for one game is more ideal then both. Same goes for most starters.

Although I agree it's a bizaare choice to start him at 12. I can't see any sense in that all.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe they are after someone who passes the ball at 12. Matt's been playing well and While Samu is devastating with ball in hand we might be better off going back to our roots of a ball playing 12 and a big 13 e.g. TK / Samu.

Food for thought..

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe they are after someone who passes the ball at 12. Matt's been playing well and While Samu is devastating with ball in hand we might be better off going back to our roots of a ball playing 12 and a big 13 e.g. TK / Samu.

Food for thought..

There is also some chat that JOC (James O'Connor)'s work in defence, positioning and defencive reads are not up to scratch. Maybe they are looking to see if they have a better combination they could work with.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Food for thought..

I do love the 10. Lilo 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani combo.... it's probably a safer option defensively and still solid on attack. but then again I'm a Brumbies supporter

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You guys are forgetting that Chieka has already declared our back up 10's as Beale and Hodge. This is classic smoke and mirrors where we feign To'omua as our 10 moving forward and then in the knockout stages out comes Beale or Hodge and boom! England won't know what hit them! Genius! :D

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I just hope having To'omua at 12 isn't a sign that he is not being considered a starter at 10 for QF's.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He's taking the piss I believe, that was last year when there was literally no options besides Bernard.

Yep. Only other option was Cooper which was memorable for the fact it made it crystal clear where the selectors viewed Quade on the pecking order. Hodge did start one Test at 10 I'm sure.

EDIT: Yep he did. Vs Japan in 2018.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tiriuni described To'omua @ 10 like playing 3 centres

Forgetting that for years and years Matt was a 10 for the Brumbies, and played extremely well there with the only reason Lilo getting a shot at 10 was his knee injury.. The only thing that makes him a 12 is that he loves contact in attack or defense meaning he hit like a mac truck. But his got all the skills of a 10.

His a very skillful player, and has found form coming off the bench, and that's probably the most important thing to get into our team at the moment