• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC23 - Pool B - SA, IRE, SCO, TON, ROM

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Given games are in the middle night and through the week, out of respect for people who won't be able to watch matches live but still want to engage broadly on the RWC, let's keep spoilers to the match threads

Without doubt the hardest group, two top 4 sides, the Scots playing well and ready to cause some upsets, a Tongan line up full of older talent who have all played for other nations in the past. Feel sorry for Romania who are in for some painful results.

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
SA & Ireland a really hard one to pick, but leaning towards the Irish, unfortunately I think Scotland despite being ranked 5th will miss out with Tonga to be more competetive

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Cracker of a group.
Whoever comes out of this will be battle hardened but then have to either play France in Paris or an improved All Blacks!
I pointed out in that group chat, those teams will be at risk having not had a really tough game in a month.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stupid predictions time.

Scotland to beat the Bokke in the opener who respond by beating Ireland who are slightly rough coming off a very physical game against Tonga. With the long rest, Ireland comfortably dispatch Scotland in the penultimate game. With Tonga having come extremely close to snatching an upset against Scotland and our extended squad failing to fire against Romania due to very little gametime in the lead up, Ireland and South Africa make it through to the quarters on PD and/or Bonus Points.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Israel Folau is out injured, George Moala still selected and will be available later in the group stages. Adam Coleman also selected.

Tonga Rugby World Cup squad​

Forwards: Sosefo ‘Apikotoa, Adam Coleman, Sione Havili Talitui, Vaea Fifita, Siegfried Fisi’ihoi, Fe’ao Fotuaika, Solomone Funaki, Tanginoa Halaifonua, Tau Koloamatangi, Paula Latu, Sam Lousi, Steve Mafi, Siua Maile, Samiuela Moli, Paula Ngauamo, Semisi Paea, Ben Tameifuna, Sione Vailanu

Backs: Pita Ahki, Malakai Fekitoa, George Moala, William Havili, Fine Inisi, Solomone Kata, Otumaka Mausia, Manu Paea, Salesi Piutau, Augustine Pulu, Sonatane Takulua, Kyren Taumoefolau, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Anzelo Tuitavuki

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I feel bad for Angus Gardner and BO'K. They've been assigned Springboks v Scotland and Ireland respectively. Hope you're ready for a torrent of abuse if the Bokke lose.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I feel bad for Angus Gardner and BO'K. They've been assigned Springboks v Scotland and Ireland respectively. Hope you're ready for a torrent of abuse if when the Bokke lose.
Fixed for you

Not enough BOK supporters on hear compared to FB groups, they beat a very average Wales and now they think that makes them favorites because Ireland only beat a average English team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fixed for you

Not enough BOK supporters on hear compared to FB groups, they beat a very average Wales and now they think that makes them favorites because Ireland only beat a average English team.
Who said we're were favorites? Nobody thinks that. Every other forum or SA news site acknowledges that this was a very weak Welsh side. All the SA supporters I know think we are really up against it.

My prediction is we are out in the quarters. I also predict that we lose against Scotlnd and beat Ireland, who will also go home at the quarters.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Ireland 2023 Rugby World Cup squad

Forwards (18):

Ryan Baird, Finlay Bealham,Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Caelan Doris, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Rob Herring, Ronan Kelleher, David Kilcoyne, Jeremy Loughman, Joe McCarthy, Peter O'Mahony, Tom O’Toole, Andrew Porter, James Ryan, Dan Sheehan, Josh van der Flier.

Backs (15):
Bundee Aki, Ross Byrne, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Keith Earls, Jamison Gibson-Park, Mack Hansen, Robbie Henshaw, Hugo Keenan, James Lowe, Stuart McCloskey, Conor Murray, Jimmy O’Brien, Garry Ringrose, Jonathan Sexton.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Feel for Healy, injured in the final warm up game and misses out. His 35 now so won't get another crack at another RWC.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Was he in your best 23?
Yeah he's still brilliant. Excellent scrummager and not as dynamic in loose as he once was but still great for 30 mins against the very best.
Also once we go past the top three looseheads there is a big drop off. So now bringing Loughman who is pretty raw at international level.
Shouldn't be an issue if Porter and Kilcoyne remain fit but it's a World Cup so anything can happen.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Feel for Healy, injured in the final warm up game and misses out. His 35 now so won't get another crack at another RWC.
Depends on injuries. Seven games is a lot to not lose a prop or a hooker somewhere along the line.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stupid predictions time.

Scotland to beat the Bokke in the opener who respond by beating Ireland who are slightly rough coming off a very physical game against Tonga. With the long rest, Ireland comfortably dispatch Scotland in the penultimate game. With Tonga having come extremely close to snatching an upset against Scotland and our extended squad failing to fire against Romania due to very little gametime in the lead up, Ireland and South Africa make it through to the quarters on PD and/or Bonus Points.
Please ignore, I think we will still be competent knowing what to prepare for but the SA forwards will blow ours up. Slightly improved chance v Ireland IMO, but still unlikely.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Please ignore, I think we will still be competent knowing what to prepare for but the SA forwards will blow ours up. Slightly improved chance v Ireland IMO, but still unlikely.
I like Scotland, I want Scotland to do well, I'm grumpy about Sione and Jack but oh well. Shame that your best form is now, would be an amazing performance to get to the QF. Also unfortunate that you're up first against Ireland when they're fresh. Your best bet IMO is Ireland and SA wreck each other and you get to play a fragile SA.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I like Scotland, I want Scotland to do well, I'm grumpy about Sione and Jack but oh well. Shame that your best form is now, would be an amazing performance to get to the QF. Also unfortunate that you're up first against Ireland when they're fresh. Your best bet IMO is Ireland and SA wreck each other and you get to play a fragile SA.
Sco v Sa is early, Ireland play Scotland and Sa last with a 2 week gap in between.