• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA vs NZ S14 clashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm just being an arse blue, but I think you figured that out!

I think the Bulls are going to do well on teh road, the Cheetah's to suck badly and the Stormers to be the unknown quantity really. Been disappointed with the results of the Canes on their tour, it's not title winning credentials to be losing in the manner and fashion which they have. I don't even think they look interested which is just fucking piss poor if you ask me. I don't give them a snowballs chance in hell of taking a point of the Bulls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
MR you know and I know and Blue know the Canes and the Tin Ears(maybe you dont know them that well but I do) is the kind of team you never underestimate. On their day they can beat any team, specially the Canes. They are packed with All Blacks and I knew beforehand they'd struggle and get frustrate against the Stormers defense that have leaked the same amount of tries in 5 round compare to the Brutes against a team like the Highlanders who got a zip against the Stormers. Thats the part of the Brutes game they'll have to patch up this week or they'll end up in tears against the Canes lot.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Luckily for the Brutes Corry Jane wont feature, Vatiekakie sorted him out. Thats the thing I like about De Jongh, he goes for the ankle and the perfect example for kids learning the age old trade of tackling. Jane wont go high again.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
Luckily for the Brutes Corry Jane wont feature, Vatiekakie sorted him out. Thats the thing I like about De Jongh, he goes for the ankle and the perfect example for kids learning the age old trade of tackling. Jane wont go high again.

He sorted him out did he? Fuck me PB, that's just plain wrong what you've written there. It's was a head clash, which means it's nasty for all involved & a sad incident. He should have tackled low, for sure, but the outcome is not pretty.

Watching a player go down like a sack of shit after such a collision, makes me feel ill. The fact you refer to that as sorting someone out, makes me feel even worse.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
To anyone who doesn't think that Bulls 1 Stormers 2 is the likely round 14 status, I suggest that they look at the draw.

Bulls play all their hard games at home except for the Stormers. They are both travelling together and the Stormers follow the Bulls through. If you're a bottom half team playing the Bulls then the Stormers in successive weeks you know you are in for a belting. Its quite likely that the Bulls and Stormers will get 5 point results every week on the road, except their hardest games will be vs the Reds, who have been good so far, so maybe only 4.

By that time its daylight between those two and the rest. Then its back home for some recovery matches, a game each against the Crusaders and the blockbuster game against each other to decide who hosts the final. Not saying its a certainty, but from what I've seen so far very likely.

The Crusaders have a horrible draw and will bitterly regret losing to the Reds. There's a very good chance they won't make the four; their last three games are the Stormers and Bulls away, followed by a horror flight and the Brumbies at home and the Brumbies will be trying to win to make the four. If they can win everything from here and then two of those three they might get a home semi and a trip to SA for the final. The Crusaders have it really tough, if they win again this year they will be worthy Champions. But I reckon they'll be fifth.

If this scenario is true then the teams coming third and fourth will fly to SA and stay there for the two weeks if they win the semi. Given the travel problems going west-east, that will be an easier proposition than flying between the semi and the final.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont look futher then the next match in S14 rugby. To many matches still left to even think about semis at this stage. The secret is to stand up after a loss, ask the Sharks, they know everything about it.

MR sorry Boet dont mean it that rude , he wont play this weekend after that knock and better for the Brutes , why I use sorted. :nta:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My counter argument is thta it is completely possible for the Stormers and Bulls to lose three of four games on tour and gain no bonus points. That puts them neck and neck wiht a lot of other teams. The can easily lose to the Reds, Blues and Chiefs. It all depends which teams pitch up on the day but it is by noi means impossible.

Hawko said:
To anyone who doesn't think that Bulls 1 Stormers 2 is the likely round 14 status, I suggest that they look at the draw.

Bulls play all their hard games at home except for the Stormers. They are both travelling together and the Stormers follow the Bulls through. If you're a bottom half team playing the Bulls then the Stormers in successive weeks you know you are in for a belting. Its quite likely that the Bulls and Stormers will get 5 point results every week on the road, except their hardest games will be vs the Reds, who have been good so far, so maybe only 4.

By that time its daylight between those two and the rest. Then its back home for some recovery matches, a game each against the Crusaders and the blockbuster game against each other to decide who hosts the final. Not saying its a certainty, but from what I've seen so far very likely.

The Crusaders have a horrible draw and will bitterly regret losing to the Reds. There's a very good chance they won't make the four; their last three games are the Stormers and Bulls away, followed by a horror flight and the Brumbies at home and the Brumbies will be trying to win to make the four. If they can win everything from here and then two of those three they might get a home semi and a trip to SA for the final. The Crusaders have it really tough, if they win again this year they will be worthy Champions. But I reckon they'll be fifth.

If this scenario is true then the teams coming third and fourth will fly to SA and stay there for the two weeks if they win the semi. Given the travel problems going west-east, that will be an easier proposition than flying between the semi and the final.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Likely is the word I used. The wheels can fall off for either Bulls or Stormers, but they would have to lose several games each to not be top two. And the Blues, Hurricanes, Reds and Cheetahs can still make it to the four, but I don't think its likely given the cattle they've got.

Its going to be a fascinating year. Some of the games to come are mouth-watering.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Hawko said:
Likely is the word I used. The wheels can fall off for either Bulls or Stormers, but they would have to lose several games each to not be top two. And the Blues, Hurricanes, Reds and Cheetahs can still make it to the four, but I don't think its likely given the cattle they've got.

Its going to be a fascinating year. Some of the games to come are mouth-watering.

Severarl games each? What planet do you live on. Historically, you can lose about 4 absolute max to make the top 4, let alone be able to lose a few and make the top 2.

Bulls & Stormers have looked great so far, but they haven't played one single game away from their home bases. That counts. Alot.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep four games at most. I reckon we are going to see a log jam with teams relying on bonus points to make it through.

Jus't can't see a situation where any team will bolt out front and stay there.

Let's not forget that the Aus teams have a dismal record of late in NZ. Gettign wins in NZ is tough so the Aus teams absolutely have to win all their home games.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Blue said:
Yep four games at most. I reckon we are going to see a log jam with teams relying on bonus points to make it through.

Jus't can't see a situation where any team will bolt out front and stay there.

Let's not forget that the Aus teams have a dismal record of late in NZ. Gettign wins in NZ is tough so the Aus teams absolutely have to win all their home games.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Bulls stay where they are - their team is awesomely good.

Reds did ok in NZ last time they were there! Bastards!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am interested to see how the bulls go on the road without being able to use altidude to wear opponants down. Will they be able to close out a tight game at the back end? I mean this with the upmost respect as theiy are currently miles ahead in standard. I am sure Steyn will tacking alot more penalty shots. There is some great games to come. The boat and fishing rods will have to collect cobb webbs for a while.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ruggo said:
I am interested to see how the bulls go on the road without being able to use altidude to wear opponants down. Will they be able to close out a tight game at the back end? I mean this with the upmost respect as theiy are currently miles ahead in standard. I am sure Steyn will tacking alot more penalty shots. There is some great games to come. The boat and fishing rods will have to collect cobb webbs for a while.

Reports are that the Bulls are fitter this year than ever and I think that showed in the first three games. Last weekend they just went to sleep after 20 minutes and coasted which pissed me off no end.

The big problem for them is defense in the outside channels during latter phases. That is where they have leaked. The rookie at 13 has done a decent job, as has the new 14, but they will hope that Jaco Pretorius regains fitness and comes back into 13. The also miss Ndungane at 14 in defense but he will only be back after tour.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
After 5 rounds Bulls have lost 0 and Stormers 1. Both are regularly picking up bonus points. So, if 4 losses gets you a top four spot Bulls can lose four and Stormers 3 and still make the semi's. 2007 and 2009 the 2nd team lost 4 games, 2008 they lost 3. If you lose 4 games you have to get a swag of bonus points to get 2nd and plenty not to miss the four (Brumbies and Tahs problem).

So I still think Bulls and Stormers can lose several games and still be top two, because they are regularly accumulating bonus points. Bulls might drop the away game against the Stormers, either might drop the game against the Crusaders, but on form to date I can't see any other losses.

I don't bet on sport, but if I did I'd have money on Bulls/Stormers to be the top two teams this year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hawko said:
After 5 rounds Bulls have lost 0 and Stormers 1. Both are regularly picking up bonus points. So, if 4 losses gets you a top four spot Bulls can lose four and Stormers 3 and still make the semi's. 2007 and 2009 the 2nd team lost 4 games, 2008 they lost 3. If you lose 4 games you have to get a swag of bonus points to get 2nd and plenty not to miss the four (Brumbies and Tahs problem).

So I still think Bulls and Stormers can lose several games and still be top two, because they are regularly accumulating bonus points. Bulls might drop the away game against the Stormers, either might drop the game against the Crusaders, but on form to date I can't see any other losses.

I don't bet on sport, but if I did I'd have money on Bulls/Stormers to be the top two teams this year.

The Reds are quite capable of putting both of these sides to bed on current form. Given Blue's comments on the Bulls defence, one would think the Reds outside backs would fancy themselves. Niether way on current form I look forward to those matches.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just for info both the Stormers & Brutes had away games in round 1. To start discussing after 5 round they'll end at the top is way way far fetch altho I have to admit I love the idea. :nta:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyway thios weekend is a tought one for both. The Bulls have always played badly against the Canes who are the last team to hand them a hiding (50 2 years ago).

The Cheetahs know how to beat the mountain goats.

We can have this discussion again in 3 weeks.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
MajorlyRagerly said:
PaarlBok said:

He sorted him out did he? Fuck me PB, that's just plain wrong what you've written there. It's was a head clash, which means it's nasty for all involved & a sad incident. He should have tackled low, for sure, but the outcome is not pretty.

Watching a player go down like a sack of shit after such a collision, makes me feel ill. The fact you refer to that as sorting someone out, makes me feel even worse.

Just saw the video on Rugbydump, its a shocker. What was Jane thinking? Looked a bit like he was caught in the headlights, sickening blow but.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA making it 2-1 against the Kiwis. First up the Crusaders beat the Lions. Lions look a bit better then the previous week but still far away from where they should be. This weekend they'll take on the Highlanders and may fancy their changes.

Bulls beat the Canes by the narrowest of margin but hope they caught their much needed fright. When they ignore three point penalties and went for lineouts from the start , you know that lot are over confident. The Canes a team you never can underestimate and hope they took the lessons to heart. In the end only a point differense and at halftime I thought there was a loss on the cards. They need to patch up the defense otherwise they'l get beaten on tour.

Sharks finally kick in with their first win and this will help them no ends. Hope this will put them on a roll and they have the Canes lined up. Holding thumbs they'll put the Canes away and could not have ask for a better oppertunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.