• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA vs NZ S14 clashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Cant understand that empty post and Biffo read my post? :nta:

Me pretty smart, eh? Now you know I can read your mind :lmao:

I saw the empty post and wanted to reply that it was your smartest-ever post, PB :) Just for a bit of fun.

I clicked "quote" and up came your post. Try it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Cant understand that empty post and Biffo read my post? :nta:

Me pretty smart, eh? Now you know I can read your mind :lmao:

I saw the empty post and wanted to reply that it was your smartest-ever post, PB :) Just for a bit of fun.

I clicked "quote" and up came your post. Try it.
Ag Boet getting old for hide a seek play. ::) Still dont know how I got that one to a flippen button. :nta:

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bulls change two for Crusaders clash

Article Published: Tuesday 4 May 2010

Email Article | | Print Article

Danie Rossouw will replace Bakkies Botha in the Bulls team for their match against the Crusaders at Loftus Versfeld on Friday and will earn his 100th Super Rugby cap in the process.

This is one of two changes coach Frans Ludeke made from the side that defeated the Sharks at the same venue last week.
The other change sees a fit-again Jaco van der Westhuyzen replacing Heini Adams on the bench for the clash that could secure the Bulls a home semi-final.

Van der Westhuyzen has recovered from a calf strain.

"Jaco's inclusion gives us more variety on the bench. We have Francois Hougaard as cover at scrumhalf and are looking at Jaco's experience to provide us with something extra," Ludeke said.

Rossouw's swop with Botha (who played his first match of the competition last week) is part of the latter's comeback process into the side after an ankle operation.

Bulls team:

Zane Kirchner, Gerhard van den Heever, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Wynand Olivier, Francois Hougaard, Morné Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Victor Matfield (capt), Danie Rossouw, Werner Kruger, Gary Botha, Gurthrö Steenkamp.

Replacements: Bandise Maku, Bees Roux, Bakkies Botha, Derick Kuün, Jaco van der Westhuyzen, Stephan Dippenaar, Pedrie Wannenburg.

*Phew!* :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just to get my Blou Broer going in Sydney, find this house

bullehuis.jpg

Idea to do in Waratah town.

S

Spook

hmm, I thought that last pass went forward onto the Crusaders player. Blue, your thoughts?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Went forward from a Saders player. Hougaard had a blinder for the Brutes. Their defense looked shakey tho.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Went forward from a Saders player. Hougaard had a blinder for the Brutes. Their defense looked shakey tho.

I thought it was passed forward into the Saders players and then went backwards (or forward from a Bulls perspective). No try.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spook said:
hmm, I thought that last pass went forward onto the Crusaders player. Blue, your thoughts?

When I saw it I thought forward. Then they showed the replay and it looks like it is off the Crusader player.

But i think itwas passed forward into the Crusaders player. So no try.

Having said that it's one of those calls you can't lame the ref for. At that pace it looked like it came off Franks and went back. He saw that and made the call. Fair.

Anyway Franks should have been sent off for the spear tackle in the first minute so justice served. I can't believe he wasn't carded.

The Kiwis will be crying for weeks over that try.

S

Spook

Blue said:
Anyway Franks should have been sent off for the spear tackle in the first minute so justice served. I can't believe he wasn't carded.

The Kiwis will be crying for weeks over that try.

Didn't see that. I wonder if he'll be cited.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting the same Kiwi lot that moan about the ref wont say a word about B Lawrense? Difficult to figure that. they should blame Hougaardts opponent, a actual scrummy make them looking pedestran.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyway the way the Bulls came back from being outplayed in the first half and from two yellow cards was a great display of composure.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
Interesting the same Kiwi lot that moan about the ref wont say a word about B Lawrense? Difficult to figure that. they should blame Hougaardts opponent, a actual scrummy make them looking pedestran.

PB that's complete and utter bullshit of the highest order. You don't need to make shit up to have cheeky pops at my kiwi brethren.

Lawrence has been lamblasted quite strongly by all 'n sundry.

As for the forward pass, it was defo forward, but u can't blame the ref's given the circumstances, but you also can't blame the Crusaders for being pissed off about it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
MajorlyRagerly said:
PaarlBok said:

PB that's complete and utter bullshit of the highest order. You don't need to make shit up to have cheeky pops at my kiwi brethren.

Lawrence has been lamblasted quite strongly by all 'n sundry.

As for the forward pass, it was defo forward, but u can't blame the ref's given the circumstances, but you also can't blame the Crusaders for being pissed off about it.
Understand they have now ditch Jonker also from the panel, mooi.

From the SA Refs themself
sareferees.co.za
The pass that angered Crusaders
Mon, 10 May 2010 23:42

The ball was in play when the final hooter sounded when the Bulls went left. Bandise Maku of the Bulls, as he was tackled by Zac Guildford passed the ball to François Hougaard who scored the try that won the match against the Crusaders - the try that defeated the Crusaders (35-40) in Super 14 action in Pretoria on Friday night.

The Crusaders were angry and their captain, the great Richie McCaw, acted in a most unbecoming way.

The referee, Marius Jonker, then went to consult his assistant referee, Jaco Peyper, a Super 14 referee. some 20 metres from the goal-line. Peyper told Jonker that the ball had gone forward off the hand of a Crusader.

There were four players immediately involved in the action in close contact with each other and in a line parallel to the goal-line. There was Maku with the ball. Guildford was infield from Maku as he tackled him. Owen Franks was just on the touch-line side of Maku and facing back to his goal-line. Hougaard was just on the touch-line side of Franks.

This close cluster of players in a line did not make the job of the referee and his assistant easier. They did not have the advantage of replays and slow motion.

Peyper, reinforcing what he was saying with a gesture, indicated that the ball had been knocked back by a Crusader. The replay conforms this. The ball had struck Franks's right hand before going forward.

After the ball had struck Franks's hand it then struck Maku's head. If having done so it went to Hougaard who was in front of Maku when it struck Maku's head, Hougaard would have been offside - minisculely offside but offside. The sport of offside more easily detected by replay and frame-by-frame slow motion.

But there is a further twist to the tail. After the ball struck Maku's head it then struck Franks's hand again. If Hougaard had been in an offside position, he would have been onside because an opponent had last played the ball.

Going forward off Maku's head is not a knock-on. It is also not a kick.

The principle for a referee to blow his whistle to stop play is dealing with the clear and obvious. There was nothing clear and obvious in what happened here which could cause a referee to blow his whistle. And all of this happened in a split second, not in the slow and laboured way that we have described it.

McCaw suggested to the referee that he consult the television match official. By the International Rugby Board's protocol for television match officials, the referee is not allowed to consult the television match official in such a case. He could consult his assistant referee.

Law 6 says he is allowed to: An assistant referee will also provide assistance to the referee in the performance of any of the referee's duties as directed by the referee.

The only other problem was the forward pass. Again not easy, clear or obvious, because the ball travelled such a tiny distance as Maku passed it but it may just be the best argument of all against the award of the try.

It was not an easy decision but the referee had shown his good faith in consulting the assistant referee.

In fact, he had shown his good faith generally in the last 10 minutes. He has sent Gerhard van den Heever to the win bin for a dangerous tackle - leading Victor Matfield to mention that he had not done so in the earlier case of Ben Franks.

In those last 10 minutes the lead changed four times:
73 mins: Crusaders led 32-30 when Dan Carter kicked a penalty for Van den Heever's tackle.
75 mins: Bulls led 33-32 when Morné Steyn dropped a goal
78 mins: Crusaders led 35-33 when Bees Steyn was penalised for having his hands in a rudimentary, two-man ruck
80 mins: Bulls led 40-35 when Hougaard scored a try and Steyn converted.

That hardly suggests a referee manipulating a result.

There was the matter of scrum penalties in the first half, described in a New Zealand paper as "a series of first-half scrum penalties against the visitors [that] were questionable at best".

There were three penalties at scrums in the first half, all against prop Wyatt Crockett. Crockett was replaced at half-time and there were no more scrum penalties. It may just have been that Crockett was in trouble and in the wrong. Questionable does not mean wrong. It is not a committed comment on a committed refereeing decision.

There are times on a rugby field when emotions run high. Clearly the disappointment of the Crusaders at that end score was a powerful emotion. Rugby has ever demanded of its players that they contain their emotions.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree with that article in it's entirety. People are welcome to have a pop about the referee, not my choice, but I can't stop others.

The part you made up is that NZer's aren't complaining about Lawrence. That's just rubbish.

C

chief

NZ'ers love Lawrence, seems everyone does except the European nations and Australia.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
chief said:
NZ'ers love Lawrence, seems everyone does except the European nations and Australia.

At the start of the S14, yes. At the end, not so much from what i'm reading, hearing and chatting about

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
MajorlyRagerly said:
The part you made up is that NZer's aren't complaining about Lawrence. That's just rubbish.
They wont complain about Lawrence performance because they were at the right side of the ledger, now with the above incident they sound like some whining tossers specially the Crusader supporters.

Hey but I'll give MR his due, not his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.