• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Barker Girls participate in the ISA programme against the likes of St Andrews, Oakhill, St Spyridons, Blue Mountains Grammar, Central Coast Grammar Girls etc.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Combining both cas GPS would be pointless due that if current tradition is continued at new and tsc they will continue to bring boys in. These team would play against lower cas schools and the fans would have nothing to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
We'll find out very quickly if New are going to continue the practice or if it was just all based around their 150th. Looking at this season's results, their 16s are quite weak, as are their 14s, while their 13s and 15s seem quite strong and their 2nds are quite competitive.

Scots seem set on world domination, so not holding out much hope there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We'll find out very quickly if New are going to continue the practice or if it was just all based around their 150th. Looking at this season's results, their 16s are quite weak, as are their 14s, while their 13s and 15s seem quite strong and their 2nds are quite competitive.

Scots seem set on world domination, so not holding out much hope there.

someone posted that New have 5 back from this year in 2014 - so i wouldn't read too much into the supposedly lack lustre u16's

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
FROM THE RULE BOX
G'day all,

Schools rugby certainly brings out the passion in people, doesn't it? I guess a lot of people here are not just posting as observers, but as participants in some sense - selectors, parents, officials, and so on. That makes it difficult to keep your comments fair and square. A little bit of bias is inevitable, and I think we should acknowledge that as a fact of life and move on. If you think the NSW kid is better than the QLD kid, don't be surprised if other posters think the exact opposite. No amount of arguing will change their mind.

In general, this schoolboy rugby forum has been going really well. Certainly a LOT better than some other school rugby forums. However, there are a lot of new posters on here and I want to ask everyone to check out our forum rules, and to take a bit of heat out of their posts. If you can't do that, you'll be out - and that applies to everyone equally.

Also - given that some of the players and parents will inevitably have a look at this forum, it's best if we keep comments as positive as possible. Criticism is appropriate, but don't forget that we're talking about kids playing sport. What you yell out at the All Blacks isn't the same as you'd yell at your kid's opposition on the weekend.

If you are not happy with someone's post - don't start a flame war, use the Report to Moderator button instead.

Cheers
Scarf

These were the rules I guess it all just got a bit much for everyone did it?....Kids names everywhere with accusations that were just way wrong....thanks THL for the correction BTW but just remember the example we are supposed to set the kids who read this guys...my last post here sorry...:(

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
scaraby

I would have thought a forum titled " school sporting scholarships' was always fraught with danger...
The key beauty of the AAGPS comp has always been its imperfection. From schools with 5 times the number of students, to large boarding schools, to schools repeating players, through to scholarships. To try and find a solution is an exercise in futility.
However, a key cause for the latest situation is the professionalism of Rugby and that this is now a career pathway for young boys

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The perception might be its a career pathway,but the reality is different.
Most players are in an EPS squad till 22 or 23 and if they are lucky,get a one year contract on minimum wage.
How many players rack up 100 Super games,compared to how many are full time Rugby aspirants,supported by their parents for four years or more after they have left School.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Most players are in an EPS squad till 22 or 23 and if they are lucky,get a one year contract on minimum wage.
How many players rack up 100 Super games,compared to how many are full time Rugby aspirants,supported by their parents for four years or more after they have left School.
Paddogreen - how many kids from each school each year even get into EPS?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
scaraby

I would have thought a forum titled " school sporting scholarships' was always fraught with danger.
The key beauty of the AAGPS comp has always been its imperfection. From schools with 5 times the number of students, to large boarding schools, to schools repeating players, through to scholarships. To try and find a solution is an exercise in futility.
However, a key cause for the latest situation is the professionalism of Rugby and that this is now a career pathway for young boys

It is fraught with danger but a perfect safety valve for all the other Schoolboy threads.

AAGPS are not the only association to grapple with scholarships, bursaries and other enrolment inducements. It is just that it seems to be taken to a new level by some in the AAGPS and Qld GPS associations. There are some claims of such within the ISA and CAS association in Sydney but it doesn't seem to attract the same amount of emotion as it does in AAGPS.

Ignoring the more extreme posts on this thread, there is actually a fairly sensible debate being conducted in this vipers pit of a thread. Stick around here long enough and you will find that it is relatively circular thread with the posters changing on about a two year cycle. As a new batch bravely enter the thread, the debate starts its cycle again with almost identical discussion points, only thie names of the actors and posters have changed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would have thought a forum titled " school sporting scholarships' was always fraught with danger.

Edit - you beat me to it HJ

The greater danger was to allow discussion on the matter in the normal schools threads.

We found out three years ago that in isolating the virus of scholarship discussion in this thread, and banning it in all the other threads, it reduced the level of acrimony in those other threads.

We even found that when discussion on the matter was made in this thread only, it was more moderate than if the same points were being made in the normal thread.

People still have to be civil when they discuss scholarships, and if they are not I trust that others report significant infractions by using the "Report" function.

We can't catch every infringement because we are all volunteers and don't have time to run the magnifying glass over every post made in all the forums.

Thank you everybody.

LG

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
About 3 years ago, Sportal had a similar problem in their Schoolboy threads to such an extent that the mods there decided that any mention of scholarship got the poster banned for a long time without warning or appeal.

The consequential mass bannings seemed to kill the vibe, with many posters simply and permanently migrating to other sites either because they were banned or their main online buddies were banned and they had no one left to talk to.

Last time I looked over there (a while ago), there wasn't much happening. People seemed to appreciate the civility and rationality of the other sites and made their temporary exile away from Sportal permanent.

Meanwhile, the Gaggerland response was to open a safety valve where the issue could be reasonably rationally discussed, independent of the main threads. Wise move.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
someone posted that New have 5 back from this year in 2014 - so i wouldn't read too much into the supposedly lack lustre u16's
True, but even if all 5 were on scholarships that is a big drop from the past 3 years. They may just be the residual parts of the 150th campaign. The 2nds are going ok, bur from their results, you'd assume that they aren't chock a block with imports. Unless there are wholesale importations, the lacklustre 16As and the lacklustre 3rds together will be needed if not in 2014 then certainly 2015. So if they start wiping the floor with opponents, that would suggest no change. On the other hand if New are operating at about the same level as the others it would signal a change.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is fraught with danger but a perfect safety valve for all the other Schoolboy threads.

AAGPS are not the only association to grapple with scholarships, bursaries and other enrolment inducements. It is just that it seems to be taken to a new level by some in the AAGPS and Qld GPS associations. There are some claims of such within the ISA and CAS association in Sydney but it doesn't seem to attract the same amount of emotion as it does in AAGPS.

Ignoring the more extreme posts on this thread, there is actually a fairly sensible debate being conducted in this vipers pit of a thread. Stick around here long enough and you will find that it is relatively circular thread with the posters changing on about a two year cycle. As a new batch bravely enter the thread, the debate starts its cycle again with almost identical discussion points, only thie names of the actors and posters have changed.
La plus ça change, la plus le même chose.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Less than 200 professional rugby players in Australia. Some last 8-10 years, some last 5-8 years and other less. Every year the GPS, CAS & ISA schools in NSW alone would turn out more that 200 players. Not much room in the tent.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Your obnoxious, egotistical demeanour represents the bane of what Scots is becoming. Whilst it may not seem fair to the boys, everyone on this thread would like see you squirm whilst attempting to back up the purity of this team. Please explain the circumstances on which these boys attend:
  • Toby Rudolf
  • Callum Styles
  • Jamaine Crosley
  • Matt Crafts
  • Guy Porter
And if it's not too hard, could you perhaps give us the enrolment information for the current 16A's squad.

Player 1 - NFI
Player 2 - NFI
Player 3 - Indigenous (the same rack the two catholic schools hang their hat on, which nobody seems to have a problem with)
Player 4 - NFI
Player 5 - Scots Prep

By my count that's 3 out of 15 players with enrolment information that doesn't seem to meet the stringent requirements of the majority of posters on this forum. Still sounds like a reasonably organic team to me

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Still here.

$cots domination maybe undermined if word ever reaches the ears of the NSWRU of some funny vitamin smoothies being whipped up in the Blackwatch Cafe. Heard it here first.

BTW. Guy Porter is an ex-prep boy. No import there.

it's one thing to suggest enrolment procedures are not 100% above board, but to infer suspicious supplement use, especially in the current climate, is beyond the pale even for someone as vindictive as you THL.

FYI, the Blackwatch doesn't sell any type of smoothie and doesn't even own a smoothie machine.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Your obnoxious, egotistical demeanour represents the bane of what Scots is becoming. Whilst it may not seem fair to the boys, everyone on this thread would like see you squirm whilst attempting to back up the purity of this team. Please explain the circumstances on which these boys attend:
  • Toby Rudolf
  • Callum Styles
  • Jamaine Crosley
  • Matt Crafts
  • Guy Porter
And if it's not too hard, could you perhaps give us the enrolment information for the current 16A's squad.

There it is - the naming of young men to fill this grub's desire of hate. Dangerous thread and it would seem out of control.
Maybe I got it wrong in my last post regarding professionalism and the promise of a'career'. So I will make it biblical . "He who cast the first stone". There is no school that is innocent and if you look at the 120 year history of the AAGPS it is riddled with rule breakers and no school can escape criticism. That is what makes this imperfection so perfect. When you stand with your mates at 4.40pm on a Saturday afternoon beating the unbeatable. It is a story blokes talk about at reunions until they don't have reunions anymore.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
There it is - the naming of young men to fill this grub's desire of hate. Dangerous thread and it would seem out of control.
Maybe I got it wrong in my last post regarding professionalism and the promise of a'career'. So I will make it biblical . "He who cast the first stone". There is no school that is innocent and if you look at the 120 year history of the AAGPS it is riddled with rule breakers and no school can escape criticism. That is what makes this imperfection so perfect. When you stand with your mates at 4.40pm on a Saturday afternoon beating the unbeatable. It is a story blokes talk about at reunions until they don't have reunions anymore.

Indeed Paddogreen - you have, in your own biblical way, encapsulated one of the greatest returns from playing schoolboy rugby with your mates.
Unfortunately, i fear that with the current infiltration of so many "fly-by-night mercenaries" proliferating in the current arms race, mateship is secondary to personal ambition, and not that many of these boys will have any emotional ties to their school that would engender such emotion, let alone attend reunions down the years !
For crying out loud, some of these boys are flat out chanting the warcry at the end of a game !!