• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Vainglory is a disordered pursuit of false triumph, excessive and boastful pride in achievement or ability. We see it when someone boasts about some relatively minor achievement, or even focuses on praising themselves for doing what they are supposed to do anyway. It is a challenge in all sorts of life contexts. It may be caused by our society’s desire to seek praise for everything.
For example, we can tend to tell stories that exaggerate our achievements – older men like me can tend to run faster, swim longer the further we get from actual running or swimming! This may be ridiculous rather than harmful, but at point do we actually tell stories that give a false impression of our true capacities.

We can, if we are vainglorious as a school, take HSC achievement and sporting success and then turn them into boasting, rather than being satisfied with the honest pleasure of a job well done. Such boasting as a School might lead us to take short cuts academically or resort to underhanded means of recruitment for sports teams. We would have fallen prey to vainglory.
As an individual one might boast pathetically about sexual contests, money, possessions in ways that reveal a desire to be thought of in terms of exaggerated ‘fame’. I have known some real jerks in my life, and always they are despicable because they try so hard to impress with such vainglorious talk. One finds oneself desperately trying to escape their loving self-obsession.
We ought to seek to be the best we

can be: morally, academically, musically or in whatever area we are active. We ought to be pleased with doing something well. We do not need to tell the whole

world about it. People will notice the reliable, confident, competent man. They will like and accept you for it. They will appreciate your modesty, they will recognise your proper motivation.
They will be repelled by vainglory.

Dr T.A. Wright
Headmaster

No changes coming at Shore while he is in charge.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When you stand with your mates at 4.40pm on a Saturday afternoon beating the unbeatable. It is a story blokes talk about at reunions until they don't have reunions anymore.
I love this bit.That's why I played sport.
No one remembers the easy wins when you scored 4 tries.It's the games you won,when no one gave you a chance.
I would love it if every one of my kids had that feeling,no matter what grade or what sport.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
21 hours without a post on this thread must be some sort of record.
Well done everyone on taking a deep breath.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think T.S. Eliot touched on it in "The Wasteland" as well. Can't quite remember the exact stanza. Much more recent reference.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Vainglory is a disordered pursuit of false triumph, excessive and boastful pride in achievement or ability. We see it when someone boasts about some relatively minor achievement, or even focuses on praising themselves for doing what they are supposed to do anyway. It is a challenge in all sorts of life contexts. It may be caused by our society’s desire to seek praise for everything.
For example, we can tend to tell stories that exaggerate our achievements – older men like me can tend to run faster, swim longer the further we get from actual running or swimming! This may be ridiculous rather than harmful, but at point do we actually tell stories that give a false impression of our true capacities.

We can, if we are vainglorious as a school, take HSC achievement and sporting success and then turn them into boasting, rather than being satisfied with the honest pleasure of a job well done. Such boasting as a School might lead us to take short cuts academically or resort to underhanded means of recruitment for sports teams. We would have fallen prey to vainglory.
As an individual one might boast pathetically about sexual contests, money, possessions in ways that reveal a desire to be thought of in terms of exaggerated ‘fame’. I have known some real jerks in my life, and always they are despicable because they try so hard to impress with such vainglorious talk. One finds oneself desperately trying to escape their loving self-obsession.
We ought to seek to be the best we

can be: morally, academically, musically or in whatever area we are active. We ought to be pleased with doing something well. We do not need to tell the whole

world about it. People will notice the reliable, confident, competent man. They will like and accept you for it. They will appreciate your modesty, they will recognise your proper motivation.
They will be repelled by vainglory.

Dr T.A. Wright
Headmaster

No changes coming at Shore while he is in charge.

A well written piece. I sure hope someone forwards it to the Headmasters of the QLD GPS schools; who have all now to some degree sold out in search of vainglory.

B

Br Henry

The word from the hill in the east tells me the "best team money could buy" from 1993 will be gathering again next weekend when they host the St Joseph's lads at Scotts. An obvious ploy no doubt to inspire the tartan boys to their first title in two decades.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The word from the hill in the east tells me the "best team money could buy" from 1993 will be gathering again next weekend when they host the St Joseph's lads at Scotts. An obvious ploy no doubt to inspire the tartan boys to their first title in two decades.
1993 is the year that lives in infamy. It's when it was shown that a school could go out and buy a title by importing boys on scholarships/bursaries. Everything that has followed has its genesis in 1993. Fo me it's still the benchmark, surpassing anything that Kings (early 00s) and Newingtion more recently have done.

Fitting in some ways that 20 years on the circle is complete.

1993 - the year the AAGPS lost its innocence.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As an aside, I hear that 14 year old Newport/Warringah rep players are currently "trialling" to go to Scots. Whatever that means. Current students at Barrenjoey HS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Have just seen on the GPS thread that Riverview 14As beat Scots 47-12 and 64-0 this year (Riverview 14As are good).

This may explain the activities that I heard about and mentioned yesterday in post #2331.

Watch this space.