• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not a sport I have any time for but a very well connected little birdy told me today that there is a huge issue in Basketball.
One school refusing to play another in next season's AAGPS.
From the biography of the Director of Basketball

After studying business at the University of Technology Sydney, David revised careers to teaching commerce and coaching basketball at the College. Since his Directorship in 2009, David has since achieved three AAGPS 1sts Premierships as Head Coach in 2011, 2012, 2013, a NSW Champion Independent School title in 2011 and 2013, was the first Australian team to win the BRIT (Bedford Road Invitational Tournament, Canada) Championship, PSSA NSW Champions titles as NSWCIS head coach in 2008, 2009 and 2013, and was a network coach at the New South Wales Institute of Sport. David is also a qualified strength & conditioning coach.

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/officials/todd-david/

I suspect that the parts highlighted in bold (my bold) would give access to quality players who aren't currently at TSC. If he was inclined to ask that is.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
I apologise if my comment was interpreted that way, there was no way I was saying Gibbon was a bad person, or his gradndparents were bad people, his brother was a bad person, or anything offensive you could imagine I meant.

If his grandparents are happy to pay thousands of dollars a year for Gibbon to go to an expensive private school in Brisbane, hours drive away from his home and family, just to become an electrician going to school 3 days a week, that's fine. The motive for it is definitely not academic though.

The "opportunity" at Nudgee College is a rugby opportunity.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/gibbon-in-top-aussie-team/1937399/
I haven't read this thread for a while and your comment stood out. 'To become just an electrician'. Look mate, not everyone has to become a lawyer, doctor or 6 figure businessman. Nudgee has a trade training centre in place and offers a unique pathway for students in this way. Just because you attend a gps school doesn't mean you have to becoming a lawyer etc or something you deem adequately 'academic'. Disgraceful power structures

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I haven't read this thread for a while and your comment stood out. 'To become just an electrician'. Look mate, not everyone has to become a lawyer, doctor or 6 figure businessman. Nudgee has a trade training centre in place and offers a unique pathway for students in this way. Just because you attend a gps school doesn't mean you have to becoming a lawyer etc or something you deem adequately 'academic'. Disgraceful power structures

Fair point. Could you elaborate on the unique pathway that Nudgee's trade centre provides for me? I'm genuinely curious.

I didn't mean for my comment to be taken offensively, but I'm sure there are plenty of good electricians Gibbon could have apprenticed himself to in Alstonville. Did he need to attend Nudgee to help with this career path?

Either way, if he's not on a scholarship he shouldn't be discussed in this thread. good luck to him

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair point. Could you elaborate on the unique pathway that Nudgee's trade centre provides for me? I'm genuinely curious.

I didn't mean for my comment to be taken offensively, but I'm sure there are plenty of good electricians Gibbon could have apprenticed himself to in Alstonville. Did he need to attend Nudgee to help with this career path?

Either way, if he's not on a scholarship he shouldn't be discussed in this thread. good luck to him
Basically, they have a VET program that enables students to complete their certificate 1 in construction and/or engineering. So you get a head start. Industry have scholarships specifically for nudgee students wanting to get a career out of it. Mmm yea I agree if all he wanted in life was to become an electrician, I'm sure he could've done so in alstonville. However, the same could be said about all students who attend boarding schools. They could've just attended a local high school, but they've chosen to go to nudgee or wherever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Newington snooping around in the Illawarra at the moment. Interested in this years U15 team. This is the first time I've heard of Newington down here, usually Kings and Scots. Of course not Rugby scholarships because they don't exist, must be other types of scholarships.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A perusal of the Scots sports website indicates that some of the individual directors of each sport are also involved in representative or elite level in that sport out of the school environment. Certainly provides a ready made talent scout, who has an interest in bringing talented athletes from their sport to the school.

T

Tight head Lion

A perusal of the Scots sports website indicates that some of the individual directors of each sport are also involved in representative or elite level in that sport out of the school environment. Certainly provides a ready made talent scout, who has an interest in bringing talented athletes from their sport to the school.

This was part of the Bold Minds Brave Hearts in Sport agenda as laid out in 2008. Various MIC of sports have connections to outside rep teams. Ben Sawyer (Cricket) Todd (basketball but he has been at TSC for a while) Canning (football) Patterson (cross country) and Blackburn (rugby) all have connections with external associations and access to their player pool. I myself was a NSWCIS and PSSA selector and my connections were often used to entice players. J. Stewart was such a player.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This was part of the Bold Minds Brave Hearts in Sport agenda as laid out in 2008. Various MIC of sports have connections to outside rep teams. Ben Sawyer (Cricket) Todd (basketball but he has been at TSC for a while) Canning (football) Patterson (cross country) and Blackburn (rugby) all have connections with external associations and access to their player pool. I myself was a NSWCIS and PSSA selector and my connections were often used to entice players. J. Stewart was such a player.
Hence their ability to make contact with potential scholarship/bursary holders.

I also noted that each year group has 2 hours per week of sports training within the school day supplementary to 2 afternooons and/or mornings of regular sports training. I assume that means those 2 hours are taken from other subjects?

(Yes IS, even rifle shooting)

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/media...26/WS_Training_Schedule_T3_2013_-_CURRENT.pdf

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hence their ability to make contact with potential scholarship/bursary holders.

I also noted that each year group has 2 hours per week of sports training within the school day supplementary to 2 afternooons and/or mornings of regular sports training. I assume that means those 2 hours are taken from other subjects?

(Yes IS, even rifle shooting)

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/media...26/WS_Training_Schedule_T3_2013_-_CURRENT.pdf

In addition to PE or whatever it is now called?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In addition to PE or whatever it is now called?
Yes, it would appear so from the timetable document on the link. It seems to be dedicated and specific sports training as opposed to PE lessons. It's labelled sport rather than PE and boys would seem to spend the 2 hours training for the GPS sport that they play.

This might explain their drop in the HSC 'rankings'?

SHS 8th
SGS 10th
Shore 19th
Kings 38th
SIC 49th
NC 64th (IB results not included)*
TSC 80th
SJC 107th
http://www.bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

* Of Newington’s candidature of 17, 14 boys achieved a UAC rank of over 90 with more than 50% of boys achieving a rank over 95.
http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/stanmore-7-12/curriculum/international-baccalaureate/

I'd suggest that the strong IB result at NC would put them about equal with SIC if combined with HSC.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
I have been reading this thread for a while, and something has been annoying me, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now.

Within nearly 120 pages of the thread, agree or disagree, there have been plenty of logical arguments for and against the supposed "arms race"; there have been multitudes of instances of myopic support for various institutions; and at times, unfortunately, some have chosen to play the man and not the ball with petty, personalized attacks.

Nowhere however, have I ever read a logical, sustainable argument as to why the schools go to such extraordinary lengths to boost their rugby ranks ( or other sports for that matter ) - what is in it for the school ??

Its obviously not to boost their academic outcomes, as the table above suggests; its obviously not a promotion of the philosophy of success for every boy, as many are being cast aside in favour of scholarship holders; and world domination seems to be a task, albeit marginally, out of reach of these institutions and their sponsored supermen !

Can someone please help me, a simple man, with a simple answer -
what is in it for the school !!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have been reading this thread for a while, and something has been annoying me, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now.

Within nearly 120 pages of the thread, agree or disagree, there have been plenty of logical arguments for and against the supposed "arms race"; there have been multitudes of instances of myopic support for various institutions; and at times, unfortunately, some have chosen to play the man and not the ball with petty, personalized attacks.

Nowhere however, have I ever read a logical, sustainable argument as to why the schools go to such extraordinary lengths to boost their rugby ranks ( or other sports for that matter ) - what is in it for the school ??

Its obviously not to boost their academic outcomes, as the table above suggests; its obviously not a promotion of the philosophy of success for every boy, as many are being cast aside in favour of scholarship holders; and world domination seems to be a task, albeit marginally, out of reach of these institutions and their sponsored supermen !

I've asked the same question and there is no logical argument for the practice as far as I can see.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes, it would appear so from the timetable document on the link. It seems to be dedicated and specific sports training as opposed to PE lessons. It's labelled sport rather than PE and boys would seem to spend the 2 hours training for the GPS sport that they play.

This might explain their drop in the HSC 'rankings'?

SHS 8th
SGS 10th
Shore 19th
Kings 38th
SIC 49th
NC 64th (IB results not included)*
TSC 80th
SJC 107th
http://www.bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

* Of Newington’s candidature of 17, 14 boys achieved a UAC rank of over 90 with more than 50% of boys achieving a rank over 95.
http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/stanmore-7-12/curriculum/international-baccalaureate/

I'd suggest that the strong IB result at NC would put them about equal with SIC if combined with HSC.
If you send your son to a GPS school for HSC results alone........ you have completly missed the mark.........

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Sometimes its nice to just stroke the ego a little regardless of how it looks to others. There is no logical answer, it's purely ego. Some of these schools have never come to terms with the fact that a Catholic school in particular has dominated them for so long in the manliest of games and finally they have found a way to counter that by bringing kids in. It's just ego is all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you send your son to a GPS school for HSC results alone.... you have completly missed the mark...
That wasn't my point at all. I'm just saying there is a trade off involved in these things. If a school chooses to focus on one area in particular, it is likely that you will see an improvement in that area which will probably result in a decline in other areas. There are only so many boys who are good at sport and academic, so if you are enrolling boys with a sporting focus then your academic results will tend to fall and vice versa.
Just one of the things that we look at when choosing schools for our children and we all have different views and priorities.