• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
if the other schools where not prepared to show there books, then they should not have mand allegations in public, if they don't want same scrutiny. Because that says to me they are just as bad therefore should not have gone about things as they have done, not professional- maybe they have egg on there face now - all of them. It's been great for the kids to hear all there efforts undone so publicly especially when no one is backing up there claims. Damaging claims publicly without specific facts proven, and no recognition for true backed up evidence of counterclaim, which always takes longer to hear, well after damage done, and mud thrown. That's all I am saying - all of this should not have been in papers. Who started the rumours now its time for them to be under the microscope(good luck gang of 5 , will will enjoy reading about your books which will show the same egg). If you now have the guts to show it. This weakness in every profession shits me, so I am glad the kids are learning how to be professional from there headmasters and reporters. I am proud to have gone to a private school, we were taught manners, and not to wine, and it starts at the top of any organization. That's one why stories that show only villains, without everyone treated equally caps me. Excuse my language, this does frustrate me having been taught in great school like all them ones in exposed trash articles
Dear Dodgy

Your English teacher has now slashed her wrists. For heavens sake, repair your grammar please

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think this shows that there's been a subtle change in the balance among the GPS Heads. If their biographies are accurate, neither Ross Tarlinton or Dr Hine come from a GPS type sporting background and so seem far more likely to follow the Shore/Grammar line than the Hawkes doctrine.

Many Tarlintons, including Ross's father, attended Joeys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Good point @Hughie. I'd add that there are probably many non-Private School educated individuals who may also believe that honour is more important than honours.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
GPS a world class education.:rolleyes:

I doubt it, with some of the incoherent posts on here from ex-GPSers; lately.

And the bloody evil protestants use to slander us, good little tykes, for saying Haitch not Aitch.:D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ and still do, ... ... ... and there are evil papist Teachers in the system that are infecting good non-papist stock with the 27th letter of the alphabet, "Haitch".

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dear Mr Knee,

I also went to a private school. We were taught that honour is more important than honours.
It seems to me that's what is being debated here.
Fair enough boys I am doing this on my mobile in-between selling houses, I don't think I am trying to proof read things before I press send, sorry I haven't wasted more of my time on this to get it correct, these phones are shockers for changing things I type, anyway I don't really care, sticks and stones ect.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fair enough boys I am doing this on my mobile in-between selling houses, I don't think I am trying to proof read things before I press send, sorry I haven't wasted more of my time on this to get it correct, these phones are shockers for changing things I type, anyway I don't really care, sticks and stones ect.
Remarkably accurate.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Having followed the debate over the last few weeks, I am wondering what the five boycotting schools actually want Scots to do!
1) Do they want Lambert to admit fault and promise to play fair in future (seems to me to be all they can hope for).This it would seem is what they have got Newington to agree to, as they have managed to stay out of the public domain on this, even though we all know how stacked their Rugby team was this year!
2) Do they want the current top 2 teams from Scots to drop all scholarshipped players, and play with organic ones so that competition is fair again (seems very unfair to the boys, who are unwitting players in this whole saga).
3)What does happen to the boys already in the school on scholarship/bursary?
Does anyone have this information?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Many Tarlintons, including Ross's father, attended Joeys.
No doubt true, but I was referrring to his personal experience which is mainly Catholic Systemic Schools in Northern NSW as a student, teacher and administrator.

Mr Tarlinton's appointment follows a stint at the helm of the Marist Brothers' Canberra college, where he was also the first principal not elevated from the ranks of the brothers.
It also came after a long involvement in the Marist movement. As a child, Mr Tarlinton studied with the Marist Brothers and Presentation Sisters in Lismore. As an adult he taught at the same schools after they merged to become Trinity Catholic College.
He also taught at Catholic schools at Tweed Heads and Murwillumbah and spent a decade working at the Catholic Education Office in Lismore, before taking up the headmaster's post at Canberra.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/apn-former-lismore-teacher-chosen-for-prestigious/16274/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well when you think about it there's actually a bit to it:
Grammar dropped out of the rugby quest for domination early because they knew that if they tried to mix it with the other schools the parking situation in Paddington/Darlinghurst (since this thread relates to all sports) would expose them to serious criticism.
Centennial Park is a nightmare and the gates close very early in winter - the non-renewal of the lease on McKay Oval may see a resurgence in SBHS rugby as they no longer need to be embarrassed about the parking. Cleveland Street issues may impact on other sports.
SIC have always been under suspicion regarding their parking arrangements - have they always owned all that land or have they induced locals to permit parking?
TKS saw the impeding parking arms race and moved out of Parramatta to get the drop on everyone else.
Northbridge is a joke and so is Stanmore with SJC only marginally better and some curious extra parking for those in the know.
I tell you, whatever Bungknee may say, the parking arms race lies behind the stand off and if TSC admit they have bad parking that will go a long way to smoothing the waters.
The only trouble parking at Kings is that it takes longer to drive around the school than it does to get there.:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely in this day and age with the great educations that GPS schools offer, the kids can come up with better memes!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My sources tell me that option 1 is the preferred outcome. This was what Dr Hawkes at The Kings School did in the past after the matter was raised with him by the others Heads after TKS teams were bolstered by imports in the early 2000's.
I've heard the same, and that the big stumbling block is Lambert's refusal to admit any issue exists.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'm pretty sure that the Mr Lambert in the Month Python mattress sketch (you tube clip about 5 pages back) ended up putting a paper bag on his head when someone mentions "mattress".

Scary parallels here with our Dr Lambert seemingly burying his head in the sand (metaphorical paper bag on his head) and hoping those 5 nasty bullies will go away and not stand in the way of world domination.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
“TSC does not offer sporting scholarships per se. No evidence has been seen to indicate that they have engaged in trying to identify and attract talented individual sportsmen to the school. They have, however, provided bursary assistance for some applicants with sporting talent to enable them to attend, benefit from and contribute to TSC. The school also provides similar assistance to a much larger number of boys with no special sporting talent to allow them to attend and become part of TSC. Of the 212 boys from years 7 to 12 receiving assistance 61 could be described as good sportsmen.”

No scholarships, just bursaries.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't like basketball. I dont care if no one ever plays anyone anywhere in basketball again.
I was told that 5 boys from a "Manly" basketball team showed up at TSC. I was told that a gun basketballer from Grammar transferred across to TSC this term.
These events, if they happened, seem to be a remarkable coincidence.
All I want to know is:
  1. Did these things happen?
  2. Did more than 1 kid come from a single club or school team?
  3. Were those kids in a rep team coached by a coach/master from Scots?
  4. If they are merely a coincidence could someone explain the process to me - If they were from a single team/school/club or rep team (which would include NSW) did they all apply at the same time (a) to attend TSC and (b) for fee relief?
  5. If the answer to 4 is "yes" did it occur to anyone that it might look a bit sus?
I acknowledge that there is no obligation on anyone to answer these questions.
However, I think they are the questions that need to be answered in order to understand what went on here according to Scots account of events.
As far I can see the part of the report quoted does not address, even indirectly, these issues.
Of course, if the things never happened then TSC is in the clear and should never have been called to account.
[In deference to the point made by Gary Owen III I have assumed that the good doctor is not playing semantics with this]