• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

I just Want to know how the conversation went. I think something like this:

Dr Lambert goes to God (head honcho's at Presbyterian Church) "Well God sorry to inform you but we have a bit of a problem at the No. 1 school"

"The board you appointed has totally run amuck and you'd never believe it but they want to sack me"

GOD: "That's really terrible, how can I help?"

Dr Lambert: "Well there is one thing, ...... how about you sack the board first"

God: "Great idea, done deal"

S

SillyBilly

I think this issue is relevant to this thread as it has been Lamberts/councils attitude that has lead to the near destruction of the wonderful GPS rugby comp. Purchasing representative rugby teams to play "school" teams and making hard working parents pay for it is not right. God should banish ALL involved!! Hopefully Newington and Joeys head gods warning!! As per other threads looks like Joeys may have a suspicious Yr11 enrolment that just happens to be a rep rugby superstar???. Yes (cant remember who posted) this thread would be going nuts if this boy was going to new or scots!! God sees all

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I think this issue is relevant to this thread as it has been Lamberts/councils attitude that has lead to the near destruction of the wonderful GPS rugby comp. Purchasing representative rugby teams to play "school" teams and making hard working parents pay for it is not right. God should banish ALL involved!! Hopefully Newington and Joeys head gods warning!! As per other threads looks like Joeys may have a suspicious Yr11 enrolment that just happens to be a rep rugby superstar???. Yes (cant remember who posted) this thread would be going nuts if this boy was going to new or scots!! God sees all

IMHO Joeys will have a great back line this year without needing the services of a "suspicious year 11 enrollment", and anyhow from what I've seen the cerise and blue are not renowned for giving a year 11 boy a berth in the first XV above year a 12 lad who has already proven himself in previous years.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
IMHO Joeys will have a great back line this year without needing the services of a "suspicious year 11 enrollment", and anyhow from what I've seen the cerise and blue are not renowned for giving a year 11 boy a berth in the first XV above year a 12 lad who has already proven himself in previous years.
joeys only stacks their 3rds, as it's the only team that has a chance at silverware... And it is after all the only comp where all gps schools compete

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't think lambert is the only headmaster with a school council breathing down his neck ... Just not often that it all ends up so publicly aired

Altgh there are some notable other cases..that I won't mention as not very relevant to rugby

School boards in addition to attracting the well-intentioned , tend to attract the odd socio-path

... the school councils of the heavy weight schools, in particular have morphed into something that sure does attract the Alpha males/females

Some of these lunatics Fancy themselves as the headmaster, just that it doesn't pay like their real job

Personally , you'd need to pay me a lot, to have any interest in being a headmaster ...

S

SillyBilly

Ok so "IF" this boy is of "suspicious enrolment" refer to the rules of GPS: -
"No inducements such as sporting scholarships, wether direct, disguised or at arms length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsman shall NOT form part of the ENROLMENT STRATEGY of any MEMBER school".
Am not sure if I understand that if he doesn't make the 1stxv in yr 11 that this is OK - its breaking the rules in a contact sport and if as adults we condone this what is it teaching our children?? Should they leave school and think breaking the rules/law is OK? If Joeys wants to continue this rot when it looks as though the culprit schools are finally waking up to themselves then maybe they should leave the GPS comp. SonnyDills roundabout point is so right in that this cheating by socio-path adults has already reduced the comp to a rather boring 6 schools

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With God on his side and Mr Fraser back as head of the council, Dr L will presumably feel licenced to ramp up the recruiting process. This thread was on life support until the latest news from Bellevue Hill.

S

SillyBilly

Lets hope parents are strong enough to control these lunatics - after all parents pay the fees thus Dr L is there employee - even though he thinks he sits at the right hand side of God

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"No inducements such as sporting scholarships, wether direct, disguised or at arms length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsman shall NOT form part of the ENROLMENT STRATEGY of any MEMBER school".
Am not sure if I understand that if he doesn't make the 1stxv in yr 11 that this is OK - its breaking the rules in a contact sport and if as adults we condone this what is it teaching our children?? Should they leave school and think breaking the rules/law is OK? If Joeys wants to continue this rot when it looks as though the culprit schools are finally waking up to themselves then maybe they should leave the GPS comp. SonnyDills roundabout point is so right in that this cheating by socio-path adults has already reduced the comp to a rather boring 6 schools
Just as the fat lady was warming up the vocal cords we begin another spin around the mulberry bush. Reports of the death of this thread were exaggerated.

As well add the following.

Cricket
Waterpolo/swimming
If you want to see stacking in b/ball go west....inner west

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

1. "Suspicious year 11 enrolment" were your words in post #5951. Suggest you go back in this thread a few pages and you will find that the possible enrollment of the lad you are referring to may not in fact not be suspicious and possibly may be within the "no sporting scholarships" principles agreed by the AAGPS. In reality we will never know if/what type of support may have been offered.
  2. Joeys and others offer bursaries to indigenous lads and lads from disadvantaged backgrounds and long may that continue as long as such offers are done in accordance with established rules.
  3. Suggest when you have a spare afternoon that you go back through this thread and you will read plenty of comments casting doubt about the bona-fides of some school's offers of scholarships/bursaries that could be deemed "irregularities". In fact why don't you put the word "irregularities' into the search field of this site and spend the next few hours reading through the exact same soap box points you've raised above.
  4. Nothing in my post indicates any support for breaking the "no sporting scholarship rules". The point is Joeys don't need to parachute a year 11 "superstar" into their First XV. Sadly for those of us that support other schools Joey's have an enviable depth of talent across most age groups so they hardly need more superstars to achieve the unspoken "11th Commandment' - Though shall win the AAGPS Premiership at all costs.
  5. This thread has been christened the "Morus Rubra Rosa" thread for a reason.
  6. And here I was thinking this flea bitten, mangy Clydesdale thread had died 50 meters out from the finish line

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^What may or may not raise "suspicions" is the fact that the person described has represented NSW 15s RL and Qld 16s, so this would seem to be at least his 3rd school.

You are correct in saying that none of us know the precise details of his (or any other boys' enrolment). But the same is true of boys who turn up at other schools.

Joeys exellent indigenous programme is acknowledged, as is it's fantastic rugby programme. It should also be noted that some of the most aggressive posters on this thread are Joeys supporters. (Not all Joeys supporters either).

Status
Not open for further replies.