• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I will say that Lambert seems to be a complete punching bag

when I made a comment about Helen Nugent it was promptly erased ... and it wasn't even anything close to a meme

Lambert rightly or wrongly certainly attracts venom

I don't know the man ... but I certainly know some individuals on school boards who are complete tossers ... so I'd be curious to know both sides of this story

either way don't think $cots going to be that strong this year ... and won't be putting cricket scores on too many rugby teams

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Repost from another thread where it really should have received a Card, but I am in a generous mood tonight.

In fear of posting in the wrong thread. At st augs who funds all the scholarships in their footy teams. Manly or the school espically the almighty heralded 16s. Seems to me more scholarships than new and scots combined. ???? Especially with so many manly staff at the school Sorry working for the school. SDW ???

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Like many things on this thread, these questions may well remain unanswered.

It would seem, however, that the local area is abuzz with similar rumours too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the MMM have been one of the few Shute Shield Clubs running profitably of late.

Perhaps they are just demonstrating the Papworth Doctrine which states something along the lines of "Shute Shield Clubs are best placed to manage the Pathway and development Academies."

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although I think the allegation here is the involvement of Manly League and certain coaches/parents and the importation of that talent to the school.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
If MMM wanted the services of a player through offering scholarship they may choose a local school that does not insist attendees play for them on Saturdays

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Runpasstackle - can't find where it says on the St Augustine's College website about scholarships being offered and awarded? When are the exams for these scholarships and when does the application have to be in by? Do tell.

I do know a boy who sat for and won a Kings scholarship, an All-Rounder scholarship. He worked hard and played many sports for the school, his ATAR he got in the late 90s. Good on him. He is now at Uni doing a double degree. His parents could never have afforded the Kings fees.

I know a family with boys, brothers, on half burseries at Scots. Some are talented musicians and smart, others are talented sportsmen and very smart too.

I know a boy at Shore, Shore never offer any scholarships or burseries do they? The boy's parents are paying, I think they sold the soul of another younger sibling of the boy to the devil but they are coming up with the money every month.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Runpasstackle - can't find where it says on the St Augustine's College website about scholarships being offered and awarded? When are the exams for these scholarships and when does the application have to be in by? Do tell.

I do know a boy who sat for and won a Kings scholarship, an All-Rounder scholarship. He worked hard and played many sports for the school, his ATAR he got in the late 90s. Good on him. He is now at Uni doing a double degree. His parents could never have afforded the Kings fees.

I know a family with boys, brothers, on half burseries at Scots. Some are talented musicians and smart, others are talented sportsmen and very smart too.

I know a boy at Shore, Shore never offer any scholarships or burseries do they? The boy's parents are paying, I think they sold the soul of another younger sibling of the boy to the devil but they are coming up with the money every month.
Shore do have a number of bursaries and scholarships, just not sporting ones.

Anyway. What is your point?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

R

Runpasstackle

Took the words out of mouth. I think you will find quite a few unhappy parents on the northern beaches. Doesn't have to be a schorlship if Manly pick up the tab. Most of the 16 dream team receive assistance in one form or another. Hence some players leaving the school when they sign for another club. Such as the Titans etc

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)

My point is that there has already been 71,150 views on the 2016 GPS thread and 61,790 on the CAS and it is only the 5th April.
And just 5,553 views on the ISA thread.

Not sure that that many are bothered by what happens at that school in Brookvale.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
My point is that there has already been 71,150 views on the 2016 GPS thread and 61,790 on the CAS and it is only the 5th April.

Not sure that that many are bothered by what happens at that school in Brookvale.

It's a bellwether for what is happening in GPS and other arenas. It's the Eden-Monaro of rugby and yes, before you ask, I would like someone to invite Antony Green on to GAGR.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Does that mean that it's not happening? Or it is happening and no one cares?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I am a bit confused.

I am not sure what the situation is with ISA schools and scholarships. Dont think they as forbidden as in the GPS.

My understanding is that there is a lot of financial assistance at Brookvale. Not sure of the source of it or how it is disclosed to the school community.

But if it is league, I thinks its wrong and the other ISA schools should also be against it. Thats not good for schoolboy Rugby and not fair to others playing in the comp.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Im going to fire things up here: Im not so sure that none (as in "not one") of them is "sporting based", depending on what that means. If someone who would not otherwise attend the school is offered a spot, not on academic, artistic, musical or other talent and just happens to be very good at a particular sport I'm tempted to call that a sporting scholarship.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well done IS for bringing up the 6,000!

In regards to who 'funds' scholarships, if your cohort is say 200, what additional resources do you need if the cohort was expanded to 206?

R

Runpasstackle

I am a bit confused.

I am not sure what the situation is with ISA schools and scholarships. Dont think they as forbidden as in the GPS.

My understanding is that there is a lot of financial assistance at Brookvale. Not sure of the source of it or how it is disclosed to the school community.

But if it is league, I thinks its wrong and the other ISA schools should also be against it. Thats not good for schoolboy Rugby and not fair to others playing in the comp.

There are many on this forum that can I am sure confirm its going on. SDW seems to be close. Any insight??
I agree it's unfair to the rest of the ISA comp. the 16s side is always draged out as pin up team for the school. Which is fair they are very talented. But any school would be equally talented with a league club funding it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am a bit confused.

There appears to be no prohibition on sporting scholarships in the ISA code of conduct.
http://www.isa.nsw.edu.au/sports/code-of-conduct/

Plenty of talk about the amateur ideal, promoting the educational value of sport etc, but is silent on scholarships.

As has been posted earlier, there is nothing on the school website about scholarships or bursaries of any kind, so one assumes that if they exist at all, that they aren't generally available for everyone to apply.

There's certainly a view amongst some parents at the school that there are rugby boys there who are on some sort of bursary. This may or may not be correct.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There are many on this forum that can I am sure confirm its going on. SDW seems to be close. Any insight??
I agree it's unfair to the rest of the ISA comp. the 16s side is always draged out as pin up team for the school. Which is fair they are very talented. But any school would be equally talented with a league club funding it.

I don't think that the school is being funded by a league club. If there is a relationship, it's most likely symbiotic.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think that the school is being funded by a league club. If there is a relationship, it's most likely symbiotic.

Not my info sorry to say QH - a club not going as well as they would like (which rules out all but whoever is on top of the comp, I guess) with some very strange conditions, I hear.