• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've got a novel idea, why not make the yardstick that only guys who are not having their School fees paid for, as a result of their Rugby ability be permitted to play.

That would be awesome - then the sports high schools and CHS would be the strongest competition in NSW and then all GPS and CAS supporters would whinge about the inequality of rep games

F

footyman

That would be awesome - then the sports high schools and CHS would be the strongest competition in NSW and then all GPS and CAS supporters would whinge about the inequality of rep games

You cant stop kids from playing rugby just beacause of there grades

B

baldingwingforward

That would be awesome - then the sports high schools and CHS would be the strongest competition in NSW

I doubt that they would be the strongest... But they would certainly be much more competitive than they have been in the last few years if the cashed up private schools weren't able to raid their ranks and take the best players.

Apo was from Endeavour prior to his time at Newington? Where did Volavola and Luani come from? They would have made a significant difference to CHS last year and this.

What about Connor and Killingworth before they "decided" to go to Kings for Yr 11 and 12? Were they also CHS boys?

R

Rugbygirl

I doubt that they would be the strongest... But they would certainly be much more competitive than they have been in the last few years if the cashed up private schools weren't able to raid their ranks and take the best players.

Apo was from Endeavour prior to his time at Newington? Where did Volavola and Luani come from? They would have made a significant difference to CHS last year and this.

Joel Luani is the son and nephew of Old Boys - his father Peter played New and GPS 1's in 1974 and his uncle John played New and NSW 1's in 1977. Ben Volavola's parents pay his school fees.

B

baldingwingforward

But you didn't answer where Joel came from before? Or Ben for that matter?

T

Thismybrotha

A quick google search reveals that Luani came from Hunters Hill High School, Volavola was also at Endeavour and Killingworth was at Mater Maria College. I have no idea where Tom Connor came from.

N

NorthernSon

A quick google search reveals that Luani came from Hunters Hill High School, Volavola was also at Endeavour and Killingworth was at Mater Maria College. I have no idea where Tom Connor came from.

Before being hired by Kings in 2009, I recall Connor must have come from the South Coast somewhere but was not on the map in either CCC, ISA or CHS at 16 but went to U/16 National champs in Brisbane as a captain coach combo with his Dad for NSW Country.

Also recall Stuey Goodman dominating him previously at every age group rep encounter, and who could not forget Stu smashing him in the CAS win over GPS in 2009.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can't have it both ways, either he was "hired" by Kings after the 16's champs, or he was no good at 16.
It can't be both.
Why don't you keep your personal observations out of it, Mums shouldn't be discussed on Rugby forums.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Why keep discussion on Mum's out of it?

I can recall a well respected International Rugby Coach, who said that when it came to choosing between two players of almost equal ability, he would pick the one with the better looking mum or girlfriend.

B

baldingwingforward

Rugbygirl - i admire your passion and pride for Newington, which i am presuming is your school. I am not sure how high up the food chain you are (i.e. student, old boy, teacher, coach) but you need to get some more accurate info other than what you might have heard around school. I know many of the different rugby coaches/masters personally i and have many sources of pretty reliable information, not just from one school but right across the GPS and CAS. In a previous position i used to get parents calling me up and shopping their sons around!

This debate will rage on forever year after year as rugby is a sport that evokes so much passion from its followers.

As it currently stands Sporting Scholarships/Bursaries are strictly forbidden in the Sydney GPS. You yourself (Rugbygirl) have previously admitted that Apo was on a sporting scholarship - so Newington have broken the rules on at least him (but there are plenty of others and don't even get me started on the basketball programme!)

They are by no means the only school doing it but they are certainly one of if not the main protagonists at the moment.

I know you and others will defend them vehemently and i would expect nothing less but some of the headmasters and senior management need to have a good look at themselves and ask whether they are really acting within the bye laws of the competition and also morally in terms of equity to their own students and students at other school.

If they can look in the mirror and say "we won fair and square" - then no worries.

I have had enough of posting for 99% of the posters have NO idea what they are talking about and just get fired up when their school gets accused of cheating.

Truth hurts!

W

west is best

I thought i may wade into this debate, having been around junior rugby for the last 10 yrs, i have seen many a player in a suburban club being offer scholarships to all the Schools including the following ISA, GPS and CAS schools, the GPS schools have been Scots, Newington, Kings, ISA St Andrews, St Augustine's, CAS Trinity, and Knox, all of these schools have picked players up from the Western Zone competition, i can even say that at least 7 have come from the one club over the last 3 yrs, and many more have come from other junior clubs in the western zone, what i am trying to say is they all do it, some are more overt about it then others, i remember being at a under 15 zone championship where these scholarships where the hot topic and at the time had no idea that this was not allowed of the Rugby systems of these schools. and yes our family did benefit from one such offer, it was made to us, we did not chase this at all, and at the time i think 5 boys from that team went onto private schools on scholarships.
This happens and is wide spread, and it does have a benefit for the giver and receiver of these generous offers, and that is why the private schools system is a better level of rugby the any other and that includes GPS ISA and CAS

R

Rugbygirl

Rugbygirl - i admire your passion and pride for Newington, which i am presuming is your school. I am not sure how high up the food chain you are (i.e. student, old boy, teacher, coach) but you need to get some more accurate info other than what you might have heard around school. I know many of the different rugby coaches/masters personally i and have many sources of pretty reliable information, not just from one school but right across the GPS and CAS. In a previous position i used to get parents calling me up and shopping their sons around!

This debate will rage on forever year after year as rugby is a sport that evokes so much passion from its followers.

As it currently stands Sporting Scholarships/Bursaries are strictly forbidden in the Sydney GPS. You yourself (Rugbygirl) have previously admitted that Apo was on a sporting scholarship - so Newington have broken the rules on at least him (but there are plenty of others and don't even get me started on the basketball programme!)

They are by no means the only school doing it but they are certainly one of if not the main protagonists at the moment.

I know you and others will defend them vehemently and i would expect nothing less but some of the headmasters and senior management need to have a good look at themselves and ask whether they are really acting within the bye laws of the competition and also morally in terms of equity to their own students and students at other school.

If they can look in the mirror and say "we won fair and square" - then no worries.

I have had enough of posting for 99% of the posters have NO idea what they are talking about and just get fired up when their school gets accused of cheating.

Truth hurts!

Apo is the only boy in the New 1st's who could even remotely be described as an import and even that is debateable if you were aware of the circumstances surrounding his attending the school (which I will not go into). The others are pretty much home grown - 7 from Kindergarten, 4 from Year 7, 1 from Year 8, 1 from year 9, 1 from year 10. And if the definition of "import" now includes the sons or brothers of Newington students and/or Old Boys then I give up !!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So rugbygirl, in 2013 when you win the title. the argument will be 4 of these kids joined in year 9 so are not imports?
I know some of these kids, and I know how much an Newington education costs their family.

R

Rugbygirl

So rugbygirl, in 2013 when you win the title. the argument will be 4 of these kids joined in year 9 so are not imports?
I know some of these kids, and I know how much an Newington education costs their family.

I'm talking about 2010 - Newington as undefeated champions with a team as "home grown" as any you will find in the GPS

T

Thismybrotha

Before being hired by Kings in 2009, I recall Connor must have come from the South Coast somewhere but was not on the map in either CCC, ISA or CHS at 16 but went to U/16 National champs in Brisbane as a captain coach combo with his Dad for NSW Country.

I remember it must have been his Mum at that tournament being a bit embarrassing carrying on like a pork chop on the sideline against NSW Schools every time he was near the ball.

Also recall Stuey Goodman dominating him previously at every age group rep encounter, and who could not forget Stu smashing him in the CAS win over GPS in 2009.

Great so now you're attacking the players themselves.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
You can't remember it because it never happened. I read the comment as saying Goodman is better than Connor and should always be picked ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.