• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
------------------------------------------
The scholarship is not just to play rugby. He is there to study because he's got the ability to do well academicly. There's no such thing as 'rugby scholarship'. The reason why we put our kids in school to study as their first priority. Sport is just part of it.

So not only is he a rugby player but he is also some sort of child sevant? Well if View have finally decided to give out its first "scholarship" it sounds like they have chosen the right kid... What else can he do?

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
I've just been checking out the Old Ignatians' Union website. 90 boys - 15 per year - on "bursaries" at a cost of nearly $2 million per year.

Of course they are all merit based with no good sportsmen amongst them !!

And check out the St. Josephs Indigenous Fund ....... a $6 million endowment and a production line of champion sportsmen right across he spectrum over the last decade ...... but of course there are no sporting scholarships there - it's just good coincidence !!

Gotta love the good hearted altruism of our catholic brethren.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've just been checking out the Old Ignatians' Union website. 90 boys - 15 per year - on "bursaries" at a cost of nearly $2 million per year.

And check out the St. Josephs Indigenous Fund ....... a $6 million endowment and a production line of champion sportsmen right across he spectrum over the last decade ...... but of course there are no sporting scholarships there - it's just good coincidence !!

Does a third party providing a bursary/scholarship compromise the AAGPS rules of no scholarships?

Presumably there is plausible deniability between the school/Principal and the Old Boys Associations.

What about the other third party bursary/scholarship from the Family Trust, Church, Mungo Club or a Grandparent funding a GPS education for the talented athlete?

What are the differences between a Year 7 - Year 12 scholarship/bursary and the Senior School Year 10- Year 12 "import" (or even a Year 12 only import) on bursary/scholarship?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

This has also been discussed here. I believe there has only been one boy in the View 1st's on a bursary in the past five or so years...

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
This has also been discussed here. I believe there has only been one boy in the View 1st's on a bursary in the past five or so years...

Well they must be due to look for some more talented players soon.!!!!!I would nt knock the opportunity back for my child, loves rugby but to receive the education and whole package of boarding,and the mateship experience in his older teen years would be a great thing. Not to mention the study habits he would develop and balanced education. Pass on our number should they be interested....

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
haha and I'm reading this just wishing I was going to a GPS school :( I will never get recognised or seen by any scout wanting players for the JGS or NGS...

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
At the end of the day who cares, it is schoolboy rugby, this is meant to be a pathway to greater things not the finish line

i support this heavily, more then 3/4 of the players in super rugby never made NGS or NTS( as it was) but were sought out later playing grade and colts. Looking at a program last year of the under 16's tournament, theres a list of about 20-30 players who have gone through that championship. 30 out of about 225 players is miniscule. The more opportunity good on them, but its not the last straw.

Bill McLean (32)
This has also been discussed here. I believe there has only been one boy in the View 1st's on a bursary in the past five or so years.

Well they must be due to look for some more talented players soon.!!!!!I would nt knock the opportunity back for my child, loves rugby but to receive the education and whole package of boarding,and the mateship experience in his older teen years would be a great thing. Not to mention the study habits he would develop and balanced education. Pass on our number should they be interested..

Knock Knock!

Who's there?

River!

River who?

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... LMAO!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reminds me of a saying I used to make when I was a young 'un:

Nearly fell into the river, phew....!!!!!

It sounds bad now, eh?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Some of the excuses contributed here are just laughable.

So your school doesn't offer scholarships for sport because;
- they aren't called sporting scholarships by your school so they mustn't be sporting scholarships
- they are funded by sources other than 'the school'.....old boys, benefactors, special funds etc
- 110kg 16yr old props develop a gift for playing the flute or abstract painting

Adding to this you provide gyms that the Wallabies envy, employ coaches on salaries that professional rugby clubs can't afford, bring in ex and current internationals as consultants and provide amazing facilities like pools and world class change rooms.

Good luck to the kids who benefit from all of this, but denial is lost in the semantics.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is this about Private Schools only?

I have been told that Hills Sports High has a $4m gymnasium which would be the envy of the Wallabies.

When I last looked on Myschools, the amount of State Budget funds tipped into the Sports High Schools is very large. We all pay for this.

The parents of the students on the Talented Athlete Programme at Hills Sports (and by assumption the other Selective Sports High Schools) apparently only pay $500 per annum for access to that programme and all the facilities of Hills Sports.
I reckon that the Boys on the Newington Triangle Playing Scholarship pay more than $500 per year. The general publics subsidy (including the Federal Government funds) to students on "scholarship" at the New (or Scots, etc) is significantly less that what the general public pay at the Selective Sports High Schools.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

I have been told that Hills Sports High has a $4m gymnasium which would be the envy of the Wallabies.

When I last looked on Myschools, the amount of State Budget funds tipped into the Sports High Schools is very large. We all pay for this.

The parents of the students on the Talented Athlete Programme at Hills Sports (and by assumption the other Selective Sports High Schools) apparently only pay $500 per annum for access to that programme and all the facilities of Hills Sports.
I reckon that the Boys on the Newington Triangle Playing Scholarship pay more than $500 per year. The general publics subsidy (including the Federal Government funds) to students on "scholarship" at the New (or Scots, etc) is significantly less that what the general public pay at the Selective Sports High Schools.

Without attempting to be rude to the above statement, it is totally off the point. Sport High Schools were openingly created to provide training in selected sports to qualifying young sportpersons/students, not to win a school brownie points in a special anniversary year - by 'under the table' scholarships that are outlawed in the by-laws of GPS & CAS schools.

If these schools want to get away from negatives - openingly declared that they will provide X number of sporting scholarships per annum.

PS: The gym provided at Hills is part of a Seven Hills RSL amemity; that allows students to utilises this facility; it is also open to members and the public.

I wonder if I took my rifle to Kings whether I would be allowed to use the shooting range or my budgies/speedos whether I could use their pool - somehow I think not.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Let me add, I don't agree with selective high schools - sports or educational, as I believe it brings the .surrounding schools down but that is another argument

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

No, it would be ignorant to accuse all private schools of offering sporting scholarships.
It's aimed squarely at schools who flaunt the rules, deny it and continue with the rort.
I'm just trying to bring some reality to the forum.