• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If its who i think it is. its hardly suddenly considering both have played for NSW proper for years and are current Australian reps.which i guess "may " enhance your point.
So why dont we all just stop pretending and applaud the kids for their hard work and reward for such hard work. Most of the so called villains here.being the kids that move.have worked and continue to work their butts off to get to where THEY want to be.
Well, if you want to applaud them for getting where they want to be, surely there would need to be some sort of formal, official admission that they got where they wanted to be because the school offered them inducements to bring their talents to the school.
If its all out in the open it can be dealt with.
Of course, there's a very good reason why no such admissions will be made.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Well, if you want to applaud them for getting where they want to be, surely there would need to be some sort of formal, official admission that they got where they wanted to be because the school offered them inducements to bring their talents to the school.
If its all out in the open it can be dealt with.
Of course, there's a very good reason why no such admissions will be made.
We can all wish that one day the Dark Lords come up out of the crypts and embrace the light...;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The case for the Prosecution with respect to the letter of the AAGPS NSW rules of association has been well proven that inducements/scholarships for athletes are prohibited.

The Water polo case relates to a CAS (St Aloysius - net gain) and ISA (St Augustines (net loss).

I am not sure that the case for the prosecution has put forward evidence to prove that inducements/scholarships are similarly prohibited within those associations. I assume that it is but the ISA and CAS websites doesn't seem to exclude this inducements/importing in the material posted on the public bits of their web sites.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If its who i think it is. its hardly suddenly considering both have played for NSW proper for years and are current Australian reps.which i guess "may " enhance your point.
So why dont we all just stop pretending and applaud the kids for their hard work and reward for such hard work. Most of the so called villains here.being the kids that move.have worked and continue to work their butts off to get to where THEY want to be.

Agreed scaraby, the boys referred to in this thread have nothing to be ashamed of. Most are just trying to be the best they can in their particular sport! Many have ambitions to go the whole way, and represent at the highest level. The condemnation goes to the schools that continue to deny that they are scholarshipping talented sportsmen!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The kids should be applauded for their hard work and achievements. To my knowledge nobody on this thread has ever criticised boys or their parents for accepting bursaries or scholarships.

The criticism is of the schools in question, most of whom pretend that they would never even contemplate anything like a scholarship/bursary based on sporting ability, but clearly do so. It makes it even worse when certain schools then also try to deflect blame elswhere.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The case for the Prosecution with respect to the letter of the AAGPS NSW rules of association has been well proven that inducements/scholarships for athletes are prohibited.

The Water polo case relates to a CAS (St Aloysius - net gain) and ISA (St Augustines (net loss).

I am not sure that the case for the prosecution has put forward evidence to prove that inducements/scholarships are similarly prohibited within those associations. I assume that it is but the ISA and CAS websites doesn't seem to exclude this inducements/importing in the material posted on the public bits of their web sites.

I note that the 'by-laws' tab on the CAS web page is blank. Maybe they don't have any or maybe they're being revised or as you say they may have no collective position on the issue.

I would ask you to imagine that you had the Principal of any CAS school with you and you asked him whether or not his school offered inducements to attract sportsmen to the school. Do you believe answer would be:
a) of course we do,
or
b) we would never countenance any such action, it is against our core beliefs etc,

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Quick Hands, The answer would surely depend on whether I was discussing my Nationally Ranked Swimmer/Tennis Player/Athlete or National Gold Squad/Academy Equivalent Rugby/Soccer/Hockey/Skiing/Triathlon/Cricket child attending their school or not, or simply asking how much of my funds were going to be used to subsidise their scholarship programme as opposed the education needs of my child.

Hugh Jinman

Frank Row (1)
Players should not be sought after by schools just to improve that school's sporting abilities. The idea of sporting scholarships is ridiculous. i believe that if given a scholarship, students should not be allowed to participate in school sport such as rugby/soccer/basketball ect. until their second or third year at that school to make sure that they are not only there just to give the school a sporting advantage. The idea of scholarships to strengthen sports teams is also unfair to the already enrolled students who have worked hard to earn their spot in the 'A' teams to then have their spot taken away from them to some new superstar paid for by the school

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Players should not be sought after by schools just to improve that school's sporting abilities. The idea of sporting scholarships is ridiculous. i believe that if given a scholarship, students should not be allowed to participate in school sport such as rugby/soccer/basketball ect. until their second or third year at that school to make sure that they are not only there just to give the school a sporting advantage. The idea of scholarships to strengthen sports teams is also unfair to the already enrolled students who have worked hard to earn their spot in the 'A' teams to then have their spot taken away from them to some new superstar paid for by the school
Wonderfully put Hugh,
But the situation then arises. Could certain teams be allowed to play 23 year olds if they are to be at school that long?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
What do you suppose the Kid who's worked hard at sport and academia should do for 3 years...go sit in the streets and waste his/her life away?..... should we just give scholarships to the child who sits in front of a computer all day and excells at 4u maths. I would rather reward a kid from a less than advantaged background who is a good allrounder..(yes most of them are).
As to your second point.......I think we should tell all the current Waratahs and Wallabies that their jobs are safe as well..i mean they were their first werent they???
While your at it ..you better tell the dux of the prep that he's safe as well because scholarships are banned so he can cruise and get that medical degree....oh i forgot ...he would have to compete with the real world.......

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Scaraby, tell me how someone applies for one of these scholarships.
Why wouldn't the school promote these scholarships to ensure they got the absolute best of the best?
Why do they advertise all their other scholarships in an open and transparent manner, yet the "sporting" ones are handled in secrecy?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any explanations for 2 gifted rugby boys, year 9, suddenly appearing at St Joseph's College in under 14's?

I've been waiting for two days for a Joeys acolyte to state the usual de rigueur: that they each had brothers, uncles or second cousins twice removed etc at the school before them ;)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I did too once, but no longer.

Cue CTPE :)

Thank you so much QH for opening the gate for me :)

Nothing has got up my nose more on this thread than the "holier than thou" fluff from Joeys acolytes (and to a lesser extent those from Riverview) who profer that their schools don't offer sporting scholarships. In saying that I have never stated in any post that the school I support doesn't do it.

As I have stated previously, I think that the only school not doing it (in the absence of Grammar and High in the comp) is Shore and perhaps a more forensic investigation may even refute this statement!!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Thank you so much QH for opening the gate for me :)

Nothing has got up my nose more on this thread than the "holier than thou" fluff from Joeys acolytes (and to a lesser extent those from Riverview) who profer that their schools don't offer sporting scholarships. In saying that I have never stated in any post that the school I support doesn't do it.

As I have stated previously, I think that the only school not doing it (in the absence of Grammar and High in the comp) is Shore and perhaps a more forensic investigation may even refute this statement!!

they may not be providing scholarships, but putting boys up the enrolment list because they may be excelling at rugby in year 6 is a surely safer way.

Tim

Frank Row (1)
Must be on scholarships then, that would be the only possible answer for two good rugby players to arrive late at Joeys.

"The only possible answer "?... there are many very sensible and probable answers to this :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2