• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And repeating s allowed under YOUR rules.? Like Hawker is the first Shore captain to not be a repeat in 15 years, as were the first XV . Give me a break
Own up and stop hiding - every school
In year 10?
You're kidding.
Let's assume he was targeted for rowing - despite the fact that I would think he would be lucky to be 5'8" tall - where was he spotted rowing the house down?
Was giving his mum a job part of the inducement?
Did they spot him at age 4 so he could go the prep?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I wonder what Dr Lambert and his advisors will make of this? I don't know what subject he taught, perhaps it wasn't maths because every boy that is brought in is going to displace someone as teams are limited in numbers.

Certainly the heads of the "5" know the logic of this observation, because Scootttts seconds, are in fact a proper 1sts quality team, leaving them to clean up in both 1sts & 2nds.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wonder how many of those promoting this idea of elite sports training for school children caught the Sandor Earl interview on channel 9 last night. (Yes I sat through the footy show to watch it)

A few salient points came out:
1. The enormous pressure these young boys feel to perform
2. The enormous pressure these young boys feel to recover from injury
3. When asked if he wanted to play again after his suspension "Definitely, I don't know anything else but sport".

Leaguies I know tell me that one of the problems in the sport is young guys are put into elite programs at about 15 and don't really know anything else.

It's been said before; very few boys will leave school and make a living from professional sport and even fewer will be able to continue with coaching/media work in sport when they finish playing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fracturing Families - it is about horses for courses and I am aware of a family that has one boy at Joeys, one boy at St Andrews and one boy at Reddam with each boy well matched to the school they attend. One boy sporting, one musical, and one a little alternative.

I can top that. Saw a car a few years ago with pennant stickers on the rear window from Aloys, Joeys, Santa Sabina and MLC Burwood. Asked the mum why and how she got on with Saturday sport. They moved from the lower North Shore to the inner west, #1 son wanted to stay at Aloys, #2 son wanted to go to Joeys, the two girls started at Santa, one didn't like it and moved to MLC. All children happy where they were but Saturday sport was a nightmare.

A mate of mine here in the Blue Mountains had a blended family with his son at Newington and daughter at PLC Croydon. His wife's son was at Scots Bathurst and daughter at Tara. Some Saturdays they started at Stanmore and ended up watching Firsts at Bathurst at 3:15. All children happy where they were, Saturday sport was beyond a nightmare.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Disclaimer: Basketball is a very silly game, but like many other silly games such as Greco-Roman Rugby, Diveball, Frisbee golf, backgammon, chess, lawnmower racing and the like, it takes all types, each to their own, and whatever rocks your boat.

If one AAGPS SChool is able to gather up all the available elite talent in a sport, then WTF is that State and National body of that sport doing?

Is there a Long Term Talented Athlete Development Programme (AKA 10000 repititions/10000 hours) for Basketball Australia, or do they simpply follow the ARU lead and just pick the best out of the Private School developed athletes? Are they in cahoots with Scots?

Where does the AIS and NSW Institute of Sport fit into this? Aren't they supposed to look after all the elite athlete development programmes, particularly those for Olympic sports. It seems swimming and gymnastics do rather well from the AIS funding but not much else.

Does the AOC view the Private Schools and Selevtive Sports High Schools as their development incubator?

With allegations of buses full of talented basketballers heading from the Northern Beaches to Bellevue Hill, one wonders what the Fitz Files will be saying in his weekly giggle column tomorrow, given that he is some sort of big wig in the North Shore basketball fraternity. That would be a lot of talent lost to club basketball on the North Shore.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
He was definitely there in u13s according to swimming archive.
Ok my bad. Correction - he entered College Street in year 8, repeated year 10, and stroked HOTR winning crew. Perception wise - an interesting look for the academic school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Disclaimer: Basketball is a very silly game, but like many other silly games such as Greco-Roman Rugby, Diveball, Frisbee golf, backgammon, chess, lawnmower racing and the like, it takes all types, each to their own, and whatever rocks your boat.

If one AAGPS SChool is able to gather up all the available elite talent in a sport, then WTF is that State and National body of that sport doing?

Is there a Long Term Talented Athlete Development Programme (AKA 10000 repititions/10000 hours) for Basketball Australia, or do they simpply follow the ARU lead and just pick the best out of the Private School developed athletes? Are they in cahoots with Scots?

Where does the AIS and NSW Institute of Sport fit into this? Aren't they supposed to look after all the elite athlete development programmes, particularly those for Olympic sports. It seems swimming and gymnastics do rather well from the AIS funding but not much else.

Does the AOC view the Private Schools and Selevtive Sports High Schools as their development incubator?

With allegations of buses full of talented basketballers heading from the Northern Beaches to Bellevue Hill, one wonders what the Fitz Files will be saying in his weekly giggle column tomorrow, given that he is some sort of big wig in the North Shore basketball fraternity. That would be a lot of talent lost to club basketball on the North Shore.
The Director of Basketball at Scots is also involved in the sport at an elite/representative level with the governing body;).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ok my bad. Correction - he entered College Street in year 8, repeated year 10, and stroked HOTR winning crew. Perception wise - an interesting look for the academic school.
That's still wrong and what's more means that your original assertion of having as a basis a personal observation ("I was on the pool deck when he made his first big splash in GPS swimming") was flawed: lincoln proved that what you claimed was his first appearance was not. And usually u13s is year 7.
Whether he swam or didn't swim for whatever reason in a given year is irrelevant.
Besides which it would be a pretty half arsed route to a HOTR title (and what why was that title the one they went after?) to recruit a single 5'8" oarsman in a single year: my understanding, having had no a single season's connection with the shed in 34 years but talking to parents, is that the coach, M Smith, was a big part of it and is what keeps them competitive in the 1st VIII - because their recent record (other than yr 10VIII) would suggest not too much recruiting of class oarsman has been going on.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

They play their rep basketball on Sundays, and given basketball is not the contact sport that rugby is, they can easily fit their rep commitments in! Therefore not lost to the North Shore!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Director of Basketball at Scots is also involved in the sport at an elite/representative level with the governing body;).

So is this the defacto NSWIS/AIS(NSW branch)/Basketball Australia endorsed NSW Development squad?

Who is paying the bills for these talented Musicians? General revenue from other parents fees, Friends of Scots Basketball, Basketball NSW, Basketball OZ?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
That's still wrong and what's more means that your original assertion of having as a basis a personal observation was flawed: lincoln proved that what you claimed was his first appearance was not.
Whether he swam or didn't swim for whatever reason in a given year is irrelevant.
Besides which it would be a pretty half arsed route to a HOTR title to recruit a single 5'8" oarsman in a single year: my understanding, having had no connection with the shed for 44 years but talking to parents, is that the coach, M Smith, was a big part of it and is what keeps them competitive in the 1st VIII - because they're recent record (other than yr 10VIII) would suggest no too much recruiting of class oarsman has been going on.
I never said he was recruited or that Grammar recruited, or though it may have been implied by some from my selective use of facts (now corrected). My point is there is a lot of accusations flying around about who does and does not recruit or has seemingly dodgy practices. If detractors want to be selective with the facts it may not paint the best picture.
I know he was in prep (as you attested same pages back), for some reason went elsewhere in year 7 (entry exam?), was allowed in because of his mum being teacher perhaps - all speculation and really not important.
I think we are on the same page - keep up the good fight!
Cheers
PS Two recent quotes from God (for twitters): "If, while arguing, you are able to cite a verse in a chapter of an old book that seems to support your position, you win." and
"It's not that people never learn, it's that they rarely ever want to."

HowardL

Bob McCowan (2)
We need to keep this in perspective. First and foremost the GPS schools are schools and the education of the boys is the paramount priority. That is actually why the schools offer scholarships - so that deserving boys whose parents do not have the means can still get a GPS education.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
From this years Newington 1st XV - their future.

1. Still at School
2. Still at School
3. Either playing in Tonga or not sure.
4. Most likely Randwick
5. Randwick
6. The Chiefs Development Squad
7. Sydney Uni/ Colts in Wollongong.
8. Gordon/Norths
9. Rugby League
10. Easts
11. Still at School
12. Manly/Sydney Uni
13. Rugby League
14. Still at School
15. Rugby League.

HowardL

Bob McCowan (2)
Its not only GPS Schools that are going nuts. At Knox Matt Williams has recently been seen giving aboriginal rugby prospects front row and a 9 or 10 a personal tour of the school. Funny that they award aboriginal scholarships only for rugby playing aboriginals but never give sports scholarships ! He is said to have copied and wants to enforce GPS style every day rugby training timetable. Might get interesting when traditional support get the picture. To cheat to the top is a race to the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.