• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Schoolboy soccer ⚽️

OffPutPlayer

Frank Row (1)
Looking forward to an interesting GPS season. A triple premiership by Joeys seems unlikely with the loss of the Barnetts - but you can never rule them out. Scots seemed to have a surprisingly good squad this year, with Edward Lynch to be heading the squad, and retaining much of the powerhouses of last year. Newington are always historically very strong, retaining much of the youthful talent they had including Ewan Gasowski and Zach Wilson. Kings seemed to have lost the crucial Angus Wruck, with variable results from last year, it would be interesting to see where they stand. View seem to not be very strong, with results last year indicating that a fall off could occur. Grammar are to be dark horses this year, with a youthful squad last year that prospered with little year 12 presence. The same is largely to be true for Shore and High, whom could certainly surprise this year but are still expected to be substandard. My final predictions are the following:

1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4. Kings
5. Grammar
6. High
7. View
8. Shore

SydneyFC10

Bob McCowan (2)
Looking forward to an interesting GPS season. A triple premiership by Joeys seems unlikely with the loss of the Barnetts - but you can never rule them out. Scots seemed to have a surprisingly good squad this year, with Edward Lynch to be heading the squad, and retaining much of the powerhouses of last year. Newington are always historically very strong, retaining much of the youthful talent they had including Ewan Gasowski and Zach Wilson. Kings seemed to have lost the crucial Angus Wruck, with variable results from last year, it would be interesting to see where they stand. View seem to not be very strong, with results last year indicating that a fall off could occur. Grammar are to be dark horses this year, with a youthful squad last year that prospered with little year 12 presence. The same is largely to be true for Shore and High, whom could certainly surprise this year but are still expected to be substandard. My final predictions are the following:

1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4. Kings
5. Grammar
6. High
7. View
8. Shore

I completely disagree OffPutPlayer. You are dialing to consider High’s Year 12 prowess that will clearly come to fruition this year and lead them to a top 3 finish. Spearheaded by Prenail Mnhandar and affirmed by backline strength of Liam Cowan and Alexander Valanidas, the squad is rife with talent, waiting to emerge.

Plus, a lesser known prospect straight from the PSG academy - James Bóurillon is set to absolutely dictate the midfield despite his dainty figure. High will certainly be one to watch this season.

OffPutPlayer

Frank Row (1)
With all due respect SydneyFc10 (Bob Mcowan 2) I think grammar has a much stronger chance of being a dark horse. A centre back partnership of two years 10s last year, the aerial presence Jonty Snyman and the ever so reliable Hugo Ward, will remain up to year 12 and is surely a force to be reckoned with! The winger duo of the two combined AAGPS u16 players of Rufus McGuiness and Lucas Kwan are yet again going to shatter the dreams of many gps schools, I heard Rufus had put a lot of effort into football after an inspiring meet up with Messi. This is all backed up by a strong 2s squad comprised of the likes of Rohan Saha and Callan Jahani, they’re certainly a force to be reckoned with in 2024 and 2025! A win last year against Riverview and close results with High and Kings are surely signs of a resurgence of this mighty soccer school. Grammar unfortunately suffer from a subpar midfield after the departure of the mighty Charle Ward. Let’s see it the black and gold can win some football silverware.

Yours sincerely,
OffPutPlayer

SydneyFC10

Bob McCowan (2)
Lets keep this cordial OffPutPlayer. This is no place for personal attacks, however, I welcome the jovial banter that pilfers my attention!

An analysis of High vs Grammar last year (2-2) is essential in determining the prowess of each squad, as both teams look to have many returning players who have gained experience. I will grant you a great diving header at the back post from McGuiness (G) however questions must be asked about the one-off error in the positioning of High's RB who had seemingly gone for an unusual dilly-dally in the corner. Additionally, Grammar lack solidity in the GK position and have no answer for the young gun sprinter Dutt (H) who is eerily similar to Alejandro Garnacho in his playstyle, nimbly weaving through defenders and combining with Aiden 'Bastoni' McManus (H), who is a GPS U16's combined veteran.

Nonetheless, we will receive answers on May 18 at the hallowed turf of McKay Oval, when Grammar will face the mighty High in what could be a decisive game in the 1st XI Plate title race.

Curious, what's your GPS Combined First XI prediction, MR OffPutPlayer?

Best Wishes, THE SYDNEYFC10

OffPutPlayer

Frank Row (1)
Dear SydneyFC10, there is absolutely no need (!) for your passive agressive tone, I was simply stating facts. I am not entirely aware of who should be in the combined XI, but here are some proposed thoughts.

Gk - Lucas sinnott (S)
CB - Lewis Morsella (N), Ben Hadfield (E)
Rb -Benjamin De Laet (I)
LB - Stylianos Vasili (N)
CM - Marcus Kulukovski (I)
CM- Lachlan Critchfield (N)
CAM - Praneil Mananandhar (H)
RW - Edward Lynch (S)
ST -Joshua Choi (K)
LW - Nick Peters (J)

SydneyFC10

Bob McCowan (2)
Preposterous! If you had any idea at all of the structure of the GPS, SydneyFC10, you would understand that it requires the physical presence of Praneil Mananandhar (H) and Marcus Kulukovski (I). ENOUGH of this negative dialectic! Provide a comprehensive squad for yourself. I assure you my squad rivals the depth of prime Pep Guardiolia's squad. Just like City, I predict Grammar to be centurions.

My dialectic is not negative, rather pragmatic, sorry I don’t cater to your “unyoked humour.” Additionally, to suggest that Grammar have the depth to achieve an accomplishment similar to that of the Centurions is doing a disservice to the number of teams that hold far higher levels of quality. It’s almost ironic perhaps, that Grammar would need to emulate City’s 115 sport washing charges in order to even think about a title race!

Nevertheless, I’ll dutifully entertain your request OffPutPlayer!

Starting XI

GK: Sinnott (S)
LB: McManus (H)
CB: Hugo (N)
CB: Morsella (N) (c)
RB: Appino (I)
CM: Critchfield (N)
CM: Argyrides (S)
CAM: Kulukovski (I)
LW: Dutt (H)
ST: Choi (K)
RW: Lynch (S)

Bench:

Peters (J)
Cowan (H)
McGuiness (G)
Valanidas (H)
Manananananananananandhar (H)

Yours truly, the revered SydneyFc10

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Both of you, familiarise yourselves with rule 10!

OffPutPlayer

Frank Row (1)
Some recaps of GPS schools performances:

View beat Penrith Anglican 7-1
Newington beat Inaburra 5-0
Shore lose to Thomas Hassall Anglican College 6-2
Aforementioned Joeys lose to St Philips Christian College Newcastle 3-1
High beat JJ Cahill Memorial High School 21-0 in the CHS cup

OffPutPlayer

Frank Row (1)
AAGPS plate is to begin tomorrow, hear are the match ups (predicted winners in bold):

1s
Shore vs Joeys
Scots
vs Grammar
View vs Newington
High vs Kings

2s
Shore vs Joeys
Scots vs Grammar
View vs Newington
High
vs Kings