• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perese had almost Kerevi type penetration. It would be great to slot him in at 12 but he is out of position there. I would play him at 13 and bring him into the game more in attack. Ikitau has been OK and benefitted being outside Kerevi but we need some penetration in the centres. Pereses defence is strong.
Daugunu has a similar game to Koreibete, though not quite as brutal. He comes onto the wing in place of Jordy Petaia.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watched the replay last night - not long ago we were lauding JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami but gees they were so so. Miss Kerevi but what is it with the scrum being dominated by Scotland as was not an area expected not withstanding tupou concussion replacement etc.

I find it a bit sad that Scotland has the wood on us in recent years, not withstanding their improvement (I thought they played high skilled game against us) but to lose against Scotland and consistently does not sit right. Do we suffer from mental side cf to other top sides?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
His early tests it was tolerated as it was all due to being young and inexperienced. But I agree, he hasn't improved at all. He keep makings really dumb decisions.

I can't shake that solo run he tried to make down the touchline against the AB's this year when he was a mile away from any support, it's just these really dumb decisions in his game.
Red coloured glasses on here - let’s not forget the Reds have been a top Aussie super team for a few years now and he’s played a key role. I think he has shown an increased skill set across a number of games, maybe not so much for the Wallabies though.

These guys are human, it must be hard to come into a setup where you’ve clearly become the less favoured selection. I suspect being a young player Paisami feels he needs to create his own hype, because as far as we know, Kerevi may not be available again.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I still don't know why Tupou starts from the bench. He is one of our only game breakers especially with no Kerevi and Koribete so has to be on from the first minute.

I get the idea of having an impact player but that is assuming everything goes perfectly to plan ready for him to come on at the 50th minute.
I have never been a believer in the "impact player" concept, why would you not want the impact at the start of the game?

I would rather have an immediate impact and be leading 10-0 after the first few minutes rather than wait until there is 20 minutes to go and then hope to get the same impact.

You best player at a position should be available for the maximum number of minutes.

The only thing I hate more than the impact player concept is "x factor" players, they are an "x factor" because you are not able to stick to a game plan while they are on the field because of their deficiencies in working to a plan.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Red coloured glasses on here - let’s not forget the Reds have been a top Aussie super team for a few years now and he’s played a key role. I think he has shown an increased skill set across a number of games, maybe not so much for the Wallabies though.

These guys are human, it must be hard to come into a setup where you’ve clearly become the less favoured selection. I suspect being a young player Paisami feels he needs to create his own hype, because as far as we know, Kerevi may not be available again.
I think the Reds will struggle next year, I cannot see JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami being as effective as they have been in the past, other coaches have had time to make defensive plans to combat them and I don't think that either player will be able to adjust their game to overcome good defensive changes.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Paisami was pretty good. His hit on Ali Price and subsequent penalty win may well have been the play of the game. He didn't get many opportunities in attack but I think he's certainly deserved another start.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought Paisami was pretty good. His hit on Ali Price and subsequent penalty win may well have been the play of the game. He didn't get many opportunities in attack but I think he's certainly deserved another start.

I thought he did good things but he fucked up a few key times. Not that he was the Lone Ranger in that department.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Perese had some nice runs and hits but will definitely want to work on his ball security. I think he lost it about 2 or 3 times? He looked very menacing through, he kind of reminds me of an NFL running back, all compact power.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hunter's rustiness is expected no? He's missed what 2ish months worth of games spending time with his wife and kid. It would have been great if he could have stayed sharp/fresh playing games locally, but unfortunately we didn't have that luxury.

I'd say Perese will have a similar problem, coming back from a major injury and needs to be managed properly.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Why? This is such a late 90s mindset. Scotland fielded a very strong side at home, and the game was always going to be a tight one.
They are regularly in the bottom two in Europe. Let’s be real, you aren’t contending with the best teams if you are losing to Scotland. To put it into perspective we have lost our last 3 starts against them, post apartheid South Africa have only lost to them twice and NZ has never lost to them in their history.

If we want to be up there with the best we have to develop a sense of ruthlessness and a level of consistency that we are sadly lacking

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Scotland are a good side and we were missing our best players. Throw in home advantage + Poite and it's an entirely expected result.

How'd Skelton, Arnold, Beale and Perese fair? Guess i will check it out at some stage.
They all showed signs. Beale would have been the worst of the lot.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Beale and Perese both lost it in contact twice.

I think in the first half the wallabies were guilty of cheikaball. What's the point of having massive runners in Leota and Valetini, with the collision impact of arnold, and then two even bigger runners on the bench Skelton and Tupou, if you AREN'T going to at least TRY to earn the right to go wide.

Very few and poor attempts to gain momentum in order to create space. Went wide early, got pressured, leading to isolated players and questionable kicking decisions.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the Reds will struggle next year, I cannot see JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami being as effective as they have been in the past, other coaches have had time to make defensive plans to combat them and I don't think that either player will be able to adjust their game to overcome good defensive changes.

I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) would get a little tingle in his plums if he heard teams were making defensive plans to combat him.

I don't think he's that type of player, these days. The last few years he's had a decent shoe and level head to steer the troops around. I haven't thought his attacking skillset was a highlight.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Good game, despite the disjointed Wallabies effort. I think I'm still living in the past where we could chalk up a victory in the Scotland game. They were well drilled and ran straight and fast. Hogg and Russell were great to watch, as usual.

AAA's yellow card was very harsh. I understand the angle they're taking but to say he made contact with the head is really pushing the envelope. I feel there's a reflex reaction when a player gets carded for dangerous play, where supporters claim a defence along the lines of there being no malicious intent. Calm heads will point out that the player's intent is irrelevant when high contact is made. Now, AAA appeared to have intent to clobber the Scots bloke. He cocked his shoulder and went to smack him, but missed and if anything, gently clipped the player.

To my biased eyes he was carded more for intent than any meaningful impact to the head.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They are regularly in the bottom two in Europe. Let’s be real, you aren’t contending with the best teams if you are losing to Scotland. To put it into perspective we have lost our last 3 starts against them, post apartheid South Africa have only lost to them twice and NZ has never lost to them in their history.

If we want to be up there with the best we have to develop a sense of ruthlessness and a level of consistency that we are sadly lacking
You know that Scotland finished above England in the Six Nations?
This is a good Scottish team…

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ve understood why AAA was picked ahead of Tupou previously, but I don’t think this was the game for it with Poite officiating…

I feel that Tupou’s dominant strength and forward movement in the front row would’ve swayed Poite more than any technical ability.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

His skills have increased in regards to kicking and passing. But his decision making has not.

I feel he is more suited to super rugby where his errors or poor decision making have less weight. Small errors at test level get compounded.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

This is wallabies culture 1-0-1. Do one amazing thing but also make a few dumb decisions and errors.