• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The game itself was a close, hard fought affair, marred by indiscretions by Wallaby players that brought about the loss. Poite I thought was fairly good; my main gripe with him was a failure to properly police the Scots in the rolling mauls. Seemed to be their tactic for one of their players at the front of the maul to twist sideways so that one or two others bound to them swung around towards the back of the Aussie maul. I think they got away with it because they retained their initial binds, but it meant that one of the channels for the Wallabies to run the ball from the back was effectively closed off. Should have been penalised all day long imo.

Of the players brought into the squad, only Rory Arnold warranted his spot. Didn't do a great deal in open play, but his lineout work and maul defence were both top notch. Can't say the other two will be missed if they don't make it on to the field in the last two tests.

FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throwing also needs to be acknowledged. When was the last time a Wallaby side didn't lose a lineout on their throw? Arnold and Rodda were outstanding in the lineout, but Leota and Valetini also took the throws that came their way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitz your interpretation of the early scrum penalties would be welcome. Slipper either got munter or Poite got played.

Game clock:
06:30 - first scrum - our feed. Poite is standing on our TH side which is weird as typically you'd start by keeping an eye on the feed. Scots don't take the weight - reset.
07:05 - the reset. The issue here is we get pushed backwards just a touch - Scots THP is on Slipper's arm a bit but no real material effect. My issue is Arnold is a bit high and moves his feet on contact because he's over-extended on the set.
09:05 - Slipper corrects here and drives up. Arnold is still too high and not bound tight enough to drive through. Still, we pushed them into the deck and their blindside lost his bind and came onto the front row - why no advantage?
11:50 - Scots THP lifts both his feet in the air post-contact. Lol. Assume his second row lifted him or he was trying to milk a penalty.
13:50 - hit good. We're set, then Scots shear a little left and Slipper's right knee is too low (Arnold's binding again?), and outside foot is too wide - Scots THP on his arm again but that has no material effect. Slipper gets penalised tho I can't help but think our second row just isn't earning its keep by countering the angle. We don't seem to be attacking their ball.
17:05 - 5 meters out, we force the Scots back a touch and to their knees, but they get up again and allow us to collapse. Poite isn't reacting as it isn't clear whose fault it was.
25:25 - again, we get shoved back a touch and then collapse - I think the TH side went back a little first and that was the actual penalty against AAA. Slipper's left foot very wide to create the tunnel, but I think he needs to turn out a bit with his chest and maybe bring that foot in. His right foot isn't helping him as it moved a little post-contact in this case.

Random thought - be better off letting Slipper hook with his right foot and have Fainga'a drive onto their THP to stabilise things. It is within the Laws.

37:55 - something happens on the far side (Tupou is on for the YC) but we don't see it. Poite gets a call from the AR against Scotland but advantage expires at the next ruck where Scots 8 dives right in off his feet to kill out momentum.

Well that was the first half, so I'll stop the scrum analysis there. I think there was a bit of funny buggers in terms of the Scots not always taking the weight, and letting us overextend, as Hooper said. I don't think the ref was much at fault except he was slightly quicker to penalise us IMHO.

To me it looks like a mistake to have Arnold there instead of Phillip. You're a prop, @RugbyReg so you know that good tight fives build combinations.

EDIT: what I mean is, with so many other disruptions, I don't think this was the time to experiment, knowing Scotland have some pluck.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still don't know why Tupou starts from the bench. He is one of our only game breakers especially with no Kerevi and Koribete so has to be on from the first minute.

I get the idea of having an impact player but that is assuming everything goes perfectly to plan ready for him to come on at the 50th minute.
Yeah AAAs form hasn't demanded selection, either.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My other comments on the first half:

We are Dumb. As. Fuck.

What was Ikitau thinking with the offload when we got turnover possession inside their 22?
What was Wright thinking with the flick pass to JOC (James O'Connor) in traffic instead of going to deck?
What the absolute FUCK was Paisami thinking about... well fucking anything at all? His brain snaps directly cost us 2 scores, and then he tried to decapitate Hogg instead of just wrapping and putting him on the deck.

Too lateral. Not smart enough. Not coherent enough. Our disease of really shit cleanouts returned (continued?).

We seemed to want to niggle. Fucking why? That's what the Scots do to us instead, so fucking LET them.

Now let me first say I enjoy watching Scotland - their backline under Townsend is a joy to behold, and their flankers are sublime. But fuck me dead we made it look easy for them, and they're just a bunch of niggle merchants with a dose of class.

Rennie has really had his first encounter with us playing down to the level of our opposition, and I hope he stamps it out real quick across the board.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Second half: White needs to stop being a little pussy and just shut the fuck up. There's yappy and then there's annoying beyond the point of redemption.

Scrum better. Lineout faultless. Even stole 1 or 2.

49:30 - this scrum shows a little of what Hooper is talking about - the Scots barely move on the engage, rather than engaging then fading. Poite says the gap is too big, but it isn't that.

Oh Wright you... just... well just why? Great kick from Ikitau and you fuck it up with a bit of stupidity hassling Hogg over the sideline, giving away a penalty instead of letting the forwards sort it out. Your supporters might love your speed and footwork, but your top 2 inches needs to get the fuck out of rugby league land. Maybe instead of piss-arsing around, you could mark your wing and cover the 50-22 instead, eh?

The scrum penalty against Bell in the 68th minute is a joke. Scots THP was always heading down after Bell beat him on the hit - Bell gets done by the AR (Carley) for his bind, but both players binds were at the same height :) That said, because he beat him on the hit, Bell overextended. Easy option to hit the deck and blame the defending team.

Last 10 minutes. Restart, then ruck and called "Use it!". A good 7 seconds later by the game clock, the ball is cleared. lol. Another one at 71:55 finishing at 72:02 - 7 seconds game time :D

The scrum at 74:22 demonstrates where we are when the Scots don't get to fade. Don't think their reserve props got the memo, but it showed that Bell was poorly done by at the previous one by the AR.

We had several chances to win this even in the last 10 minutes, but execution let us down. We can correct that and beat England BUT they will eat up our lateral attack.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Of the players brought into the squad, only Rory Arnold warranted his spot. Didn't do a great deal in open play, but his lineout work and maul defence were both top notch.

Arnold's scrum technique and application are utter rubbish.

Maybe French Pro scrummaging isn't all it is cracked up to be?

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I suppose since you've brought Arnold and Skelton in you play them again to see if they can fit in a little better and up their game. But it doesn't seem like they are a notable upgrade on Philip, Rodda and Swain (or potentially even LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)).

This'll be an unpopular opinion but i would like to see Noah get another game now that he's been dragged on tour.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to Monday with early PT session and busy work day had plans to watch this evening but forgot all about it and looked at rugby au app and saw the score. I guess I will watch at but less motivated now know score and that we lost. I did worry this was a game we could drop…especially after seeing Ireland hammer Japan 58 to 5

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suppose since you've brought Arnold and Skelton in you play them again to see if they can fit in a little better and up their game. But it doesn't seem like they are a notable upgrade on Philip, Rodda and Swain (or potentially even LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)).

This'll be an unpopular opinion but i would like to see Noah get another game now that he's been dragged on tour.

Yes but not England. From the bench v Wales. Give him 30 if it's going well, 10 otherwise.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

Honestly, I don’t think he’d be worse than O’Connor was.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
My other comments on the first half:

We are Dumb. As. Fuck.

What was Ikitau thinking with the offload when we got turnover possession inside their 22?
What was Wright thinking with the flick pass to JOC (James O'Connor) in traffic instead of going to deck?
What the absolute FUCK was Paisami thinking about... well fucking anything at all? His brain snaps directly cost us 2 scores, and then he tried to decapitate Hogg instead of just wrapping and putting him on the deck.

Too lateral. Not smart enough. Not coherent enough. Our disease of really shit cleanouts returned (continued?).

We seemed to want to niggle. Fucking why? That's what the Scots do to us instead, so fucking LET them.

Now let me first say I enjoy watching Scotland - their backline under Townsend is a joy to behold, and their flankers are sublime. But fuck me dead we made it look easy for them, and they're just a bunch of niggle merchants with a dose of class.

Rennie has really had his first encounter with us playing down to the level of our opposition, and I hope he stamps it out real quick across the board.

Paisami is woeful & consistently costs his team with bad decision-making, ill-discipline, low skill and breaking patterns...

A massive liability that Wallabies have carried in the 12 tests he's played, & really no signs of improvement to be seen...

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd have gone with someone like Curtis Rona at 12 for this tour. Has been playing exceptionally for London Irish & matched up very well against Tuilangi when they played Sale. Much calmer head than Paisami & actually keeps his patterns.. Need a cooler head in there..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Great game by the Scots, they are looking like a competitive world team now.

JOC (James O'Connor) was a BIG step down from Cooper. And I don't think Noah would be any worse. JOC (James O'Connor)'s non kick for touch was criminal.

Arnold and Skelton were underwhelming. I agree Arnold was great in the maul and line-out but didn't offer anything above Phillip around the park. Skelton was just plain underwhelming. KB (Kurtley Beale) hasn't changed a bit, a threat with ball in hand in broken play but an utter liability every time he takes the ball into contact. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) may hold the record for most turnovers/lost balls for the wallabies.

I think this really highlights what a big difference a few players can make. Damn we were unlucky with the props going down but ultimately we likely would have scrapped through with a Kerevi and Cooper giving us that extra 5% go-forward or direction around the park.

Perese looking threatening on attack. Would love to see more of him. Hopefully can improve his defence and other areas of the game.

Man, I'm so sick of the poor decision making i.e. from Paisami, AAA, Wright, Ikitau etc. Seems to be ingrained as wallaby culture for the last decade.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Paisami is woeful & consistently costs his team with bad decision-making, ill-discipline, low skill and breaking patterns...

A massive liability that Wallabies have carried in the 12 tests he's played, & really no signs of improvement to be seen...

His early tests it was tolerated as it was all due to being young and inexperienced. But I agree, he hasn't improved at all. He keep makings really dumb decisions.

I can't shake that solo run he tried to make down the touchline against the AB's this year when he was a mile away from any support, it's just these really dumb decisions in his game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah AAAs form hasn't demanded selection, either.

I don't mind AAA starting if it means TT comes on at exactly half-time, or even before half-time. Better to have him finishing the game. Makes sense to have your best playing more minutes and shouldn't matter if its starting or finishing.