• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pfitz your interpretation of the early scrum penalties would be welcome. Slipper either got munter or Poite got played.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So you’d think we’ll be without Tupou next week. Possibly AAA. Does anyone know if Pone is actually fit?

we can’t fly anyone over so do we recruit locally? Ollie Hoskins the man most likely is he not?

or is Les Makin or some other former Brumby over there?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rubbish result but I thought an interesting close game.

Disappointed that we chose so consistently to not defend the line out on their throw - and then little creativity on our throw other than maul it, often from #2. Big thumbs up to a swapped Slipper and Bell - talk about thrown in the deep end. First reversed scrum was a doosey. Presume that Tupou was not allowed back on the HIA. The disruption to the front row will not have helped that game at all.

We made little hard ground through the forwards. In this first game my gut feel was that neither Arnold nor Skelton made a difference in making the hard yards. Backed up by the stats: Arnold: 1m; Skelton: 2m Add to that Rodda: 3m. Hooper, Letta and Faiinga did all the work in go forward, but little or nothing from the engine room, all out wide. To be fair to them, the Scottish locks fared no better and Rodda did top the tackle count with 10.

Without go forward JOC (James O'Connor) was always going to battle. Paisami and Perese both had an impact but tried too much going solo. Beale, despite my reservations did not look out of place but will he ever learn to not run into contact high? While he was no game winner I'd stick with him on the bench going forward.

I thought White was masterful, Tate showing some pressure under passing without noticeable speed improvement. If something doesn't give there, White can go 80.

Had we taken our chances with points in the first half the nature of the game, let alone the result, may have been different.

We can be pleased that we gave Scotland a good hit-out. Still, you'd be mad not to have apprehension approaching England in a week. At least Arnold and Skelton will be better for the run in WB systems.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Ala'alatoa deserves a lot of the blame but it highlights the precariousness of the balance in selection of our props. Bell is a huge LHP and good around the park but when we have to bring Tupou on early and he goes down we are lacking some stodginess in technique at scrum. Slipper hasn't played THP consistently for years and is himself a more dynamic player than a scrum artist.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pfitz your interpretation of the early scrum penalties would be welcome. Slipper either got munter or Poite got played.
I thought Poite got it right. Pretty much every time from memory. There was one I thought he could have let play on because the ball had been hooked back but, in replay, the Scots were definitely getting traction with their second shove. Slipper was getting worked and just couldn’t stay under his player. I thought his one scrum at TH was his best of the day (probably simply through context of it being a target scrum for the Scots and, instead, ending in a try to us).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Have watched this three times now (clip starting 2:22) and still no idea how the AR and TMO had no say in this.

Agree Pfitzy - isn’t there still a rule about forming a maul and advancing without a defender?

Having said that I thought we had enough chances to make the call irrelevant and win. Just a couple of little errors and a bloody determined and tenacious opposition.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Disappointing to lose that, all hope of having a successful tour is now gone sadly. We need to sort out the eligibility of players and pick our best side every week.

We can’t be losing to teams like Scotland FFS

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Disappointing to lose that, all hope of having a successful tour is now gone sadly. We need to sort out the eligibility of players and pick our best side every week.

We can’t be losing to teams like Scotland FFS
Scotland are a good side and we were missing our best players. Throw in home advantage + Poite and it's an entirely expected result.

How'd Skelton, Arnold, Beale and Perese fair? Guess i will check it out at some stage.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Both sides had plenty of chances but let themselves down with their attack in the final third. We gave away three penalties within 5m of the line, two of which prevented a certain try (the AAA call was ridiculous but that's rugby these days), and Scotland dropped it at least four times in the 10m.

In the end it came down to the last 20 minutes and somewhat surprisingly the Scots finished much better than us. We made a series of sloppy errors and it killed our chances.

Our defence was the positive from this game. Paisami and Ikitau were superb in midfield, and to only concede two tries (one from a lineout maul) was pretty good considering how many counter-attacking chances they had. Rodda's defence was also noteworthy, as was Valetinis.

In attack we just made too many mistakes. Passes that weren't on (Ikitau, Fainga'a and Wright). Misdirected passes (Nic White at least three times). Attack that was too slow and static, played too far behind the advantage line.

We didn't play too badly - I have a lot of respect for Scotland and if we snuck away with a close win it would have been a good one. In the end it didn't go our way, which we were probably due for after ekeing out late wins against SA and France.

It's not a disaster by any means. We'll need to be at our best to challenge England though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wallabies lacked fluidity, similar to the Japan game. Rarely did we string together any threatening phase play.

We missed Tupou and Swain or Philip out there. Arnold was good at his solo jobs but was a bit in no-mans land when doing interplay which is understandable.

Ala'alatoa was always going to be carded when it was picked up, just happy it wasn't a red. That's the breaks with a hometown crowd baying at every indiscretion. Oh well, gives much for Rennie to think about and we're keeping our powder relatively dry without Kerevi, Cooper, Koroibete etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Will give it a look later today.

We are back in the office for the first time in 6 months no lunchtime rugby for me...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
And the try was awarded?

Well, this takes maul adjudicating to the next level.

Of utter lunacy.
Jonker in the TMO box was trying very hard to get Poite to not give the try but Poite was steadfast and stubborn, he announced his final interpretation before seeing any of the replays and refused to be swayed.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We certainly did not get the rub of the green with Poite but we also turned over the pill often in the first half with silly 50/50 passes. I thought both Paisami and Ikitau were poor and that JOC (James O'Connor) was way too deep and did nothing to control the tempo of the game.
We really missed Quade pulling the strings and organising his back line and forward runners.
It was a very broken stop start effort against hearty resistance from the Scots. Despite our performance the game was stil there for us but we couldn’t take it.
Arnold and Skelton were very quiet and one wonders if we may have been better sticking with Swain and Philip?
We took a backward step against Japan and it feels like we have done the same this weekend.