• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To me pretty clear why Rugby Australia swapped Tim and John around. John having much more success with mens team. Yep hats off to him as deserves lot of credit for players bringing in and combinations / formations. John is certainly a very experienced coach.

it was because Walsh was deemed the better coach and the womens team the focus of the program.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Henry Hutchison has been a revelation playing hooker. He's no longer an out and out speedster on the wing (and perhaps never quite was) but he's now quick again for the position he's playing, he's excellent over the ball and a great tackler.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Walsh never seemed to have quite the same success with the men, though, compared to his previous stint with the women.

Tougher competition for a start I guess.

he was the one that brought in Roache and Toole though. And had some early success this year before they swapped again.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
it was because Walsh was deemed the better coach and the womens team the focus of the program.

Walsh is certainly the more experienced Sevens coach. But Manenti's day might come, as he gains experience in Sevens. He is a well regarded coach at club level, I believe that he did not seek advancement as a coach (until the Sevens opportunity came along) because he is, or was, fully occupied in the family business.

Last edited:

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Henry Hutchison has been a revelation playing hooker. He's no longer an out and out speedster on the wing (and perhaps never quite was) but he's now quick again for the position he's playing, he's excellent over the ball and a great tackler.
I watched HH in Hong Kong in 2019 and his rugby skills were ordinary to say the least, the whole Aussie team were terrible unfortunately but the tournament was brilliant to watch. I couldn’t believe someone at that skill level could get anywhere near a national team. Having said well done to the national team and HH to reinvent him into a really useful part of the team playing hooker. He looks much more at home there than playing in the backs. I really enjoyed watching the men play in the Singapore 7’s I thought they were brilliant. Extremely well drilled.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know he wouldn't have much to do with the current club players but Manenti probably still has great club connections and pretty much all the new guys were picked straight from the Shute Shield. It seems to have worked.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Tough draw, Oz have SA in their pool. So if they top the pool (by beating SA) they probably play samoa, lose to SA and come second in the pool then they probably play the darkness.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Two good performances by Australia esp against Spain. Their defence is much improved from a few years ago. Saffers will provide a big test to see who goes thru top of the pool.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Henry Hutchinson just scored his 100th try for the Aussie 7s team against Spain, pretty massive achievement

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SA 22-19 Aus to set up Trans-Tasman QF

QF1 Fiji v France 03:40 AEST/ 05:40 NZST
QF2 SA v Samoa
QF3 Arg v Eng
QF4 NZ v Aus 04:46/ 06:46

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
YouTube link.

Thanks for the link as tried googling YouTube sevens Canada but no cigar so great to see oz vs sa match

oz men go down to South Africa after leading. Oz men have history of leading and then losing for big games…the way they are playing they can beat any side on the day. Just need to get better at closing out after Taking the lead l

Status
Not open for further replies.