• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT: Aus 17-0 Arg

Wal v Eng Challenge QF went to golden point so they're runnng a bit behind schedule: Fiji v SA should've kicked off at 4:50 NZ time but it'll be more like 5:10*

Edit: Toole takes an Arg out less than 5m from the line & gets away with it!

FT: Aus 29-5 Arg who only scored after the siren. Aus would have to back themselves v either Fiji or SA, both of whom lost on Day 1.

* SA & Fiji running on as Aus & Arg are running off so they've clawed back a fair chunk of that lost time.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rookie error: Samoan kicks it out 8m from his line with 0:07 still on the clock & scores tied.

HT: NZ 12-7 Samoa.

Eric Rush on hand to watch his boy score & with the same number 2 on his back.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another rookie error: NZ player taken short & places the ball, Samoan steals it but forces it in-goal conceding a 5m scrum.

NZ 17-14 & a Samoan about to get double-cheesed for a high shot on the try scorer.

FT: NZ 22-14.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Australia lost to Fiji 12_19 and Ireland just lost to nz 19-22.

Oz mens up there but just not quite there to win the finals but doing well

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Try here:

Unfortunately unless foxtel subscriber you have to subscribe to beIN and yeh get 2 week free trial if you put in credit card details but I don’t like to do that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What happened? I didn’t see either match.
Probably being a bit bias in Aus match but I thought the ref was very harsh on us in regards to sealing off.

Ireland were straight robbed. Should not have been time again after NZ scored to go down by 2 and then Ireland got the ball off the restart and ref called a pen on them for sealing which wasn't at all, kept penalising Ireland until NZ scored but they all looked dodgy to me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Day 2 highlights

Can't go to HT at 0-21 v Fiji & expect to overhaul them in the second half. Still a creditable effort to make the final, even if somewhat fortuitously (but not as fortuitously as qwerty suggests) given how long they've been off the circuit.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
i thought the ref was a bit tough on us during the fiji match. We struggle against the big sides. Oz up to second in the standings. If SA keeps crapping out, we might be a chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There were several really questionable decisions in the Fiji game.

The first try looked like it came from a pretty obvious knock on by Fiji.

The yellow card was well played by Fiji but I don't think was justified. The Fiji player kicked it as two players converged on him and ran straight into where there would obviously be contact. There's no way there's ever a clear run through there for him without running into defenders. The problem is that by bracing for contact they look like they've blocked him.

The last play where Hutchison got pinged for going off his feet was also harsh. Firstly, there is no release by the Fijian tackler and then he steps to the side as Hutchison is coming in to clear out so has nothing to contact against.

Overall though, a great tournament by Australia. Our games against England and Argentina were all time.

We finally have a really strong squad with lots of great playmakers and genuine pace. They're all good one on one tacklers too which is essential.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There were several really questionable decisions in the Fiji game.

The first try looked like it came from a pretty obvious knock on by Fiji.

The yellow card was well played by Fiji but I don't think was justified. The Fiji player kicked it as two players converged on him and ran straight into where there would obviously be contact. There's no way there's ever a clear run through there for him without running into defenders. The problem is that by bracing for contact they look like they've blocked him.

The last play where Hutchison got pinged for going off his feet was also harsh. Firstly, there is no release by the Fijian tackler and then he steps to the side as Hutchison is coming in to clear out so has nothing to contact against.

Overall though, a great tournament by Australia. Our games against England and Argentina were all time.

We finally have a really strong squad with lots of great playmakers and genuine pace. They're all good one on one tacklers too which is essential.
and now second on World Series standings behind South Africa. Very impressive where the men are after the Olympics flop

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like the formations that he has got them using.
To me pretty clear why RA swapped Tim and John around. John having much more success with mens team. Yep hats off to him as deserves lot of credit for players bringing in and combinations / formations. John is certainly a very experienced coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.