• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of them are converts. Which need more competitive games to improve. That looks like it will come this year with the launch of PR7s inaugural full season this year and the launch event for US Rugby 7s Major League in October.
Yeh USA with turnover of players lost some balance and problem again with converts eg isles has great speed but ordinary defence. Launch of us rugby 7s will definitely help improve their stocks

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Again: I queston Walsh's coaching. His Gold Medal win set him up for life, but he had the best squad there ahead of NZ and daylight.

I don’t agree with the sentiment of this, that 2016 squad was a direct result of Walsh. You can’t say he benefited from having the best squad, when it was Walsh who pieced that squad together at a time when Australia had next to no Sevens pathways for women.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t agree with the sentiment of this, that 2016 squad was a direct result of Walsh. You can’t say he benefited from having the best squad, when it was Walsh who pieced that squad together at a time when Australia had next to no Sevens pathways for women.
That isn’t exactly true either. A lot of the women involved with the Aussie 7s program had been playing together at state level or representative level since 2012. In fact the Tribe 7s women’s side had been dominating the invitational competitions both domestically and internationally since mid 2013 with a large number of players who would go onto represent Australia in 2016.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's true Adam, but he sourced most of his players from other sports where they had already displayed their superior athletic abilities. That, together with a bit of rugby knowledge he brought to them, allowed our women's 7s to dominate early on until other countries did the same. It was a good strategy but didn't in any way rely on outstanding coaching abilities.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That isn’t exactly true either. A lot of the women involved with the Aussie 7s program had been playing together at state level or representative level since 2012. In fact the Tribe 7s women’s side had been dominating the invitational competitions both domestically and internationally since mid 2013 with a large number of players who would go onto represent Australia in 2016.

Dalton, Tonegato, Quirk, Cherry, Caslick, Green all played representative rugby for the first time in 2013. Parry, Williams, Etheridge and Beck were really the only ones playing together before that.

A large number came through the Tribe 7s? That’s not true, many of the girls like Caslick, Quirk and Cherry who have played for the Tribe 7s were playing touch football before they were first scouted by RA and offered contracts for the Aussie 7s system in 2012/2013.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Women did well to get the gold as they were pretty scrappy which Demi Hayes acknowledged and the need for better consistency. We know they have better games in that in them which they will need when nz come back into the mix.

The men matched SA early in gold medal match but fell apart when few things did not go there way. Given how long South African squad been together for many key players and quality of their processes, no shame losing to South Africa and our mens team will get better.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. Rarely has there been a less impressive champion than the Aussie women. Meanwhile the men put up a brave show but SAF really are a class above

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah. Rarely has there been a less impressive champion than the Aussie women.
TBF, they targetted the supposed strength of the Irish (the scrum) at the death and had the instinct to win it.

But you're right, too many lapses over the season.

Saying that, I'm thinking they've won the season championship here and now. Given the women's teams are ranked on only their best 4 tournaments ... I don't think they can be caught.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And that NZL team we spanked in the final - Woodman, Goss, Tui, Nathan-Wong - was pretty bloody awesome.

But that's 7s, right? One day rooster, the next feather duster. Can't seriously think Germany would beat Wales at Test XVs like they did last night.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saying that, I'm thinking they've won the season championship here. Given that all teams are ranked on only their best 4 tournaments ... I don't think they can be caught.

Unless someone finishes with 3 wins and better than third in that counting?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Unless someone finishes with 3 wins and better than third in that counting?
Unless I'm mistaken only 4th placed USA
can get 3 wins. But they don't have a third place to add to it. :)

Screenshot_20220131-045355~2.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching Ireland v South Africa Semifinal.

Irish guy gets a yellow for taking someone out off the ball on a kick through. Deserved.
(Boks did *exactly* that last week against ?Canada? and no sanction).
Shortly after, Ireland get a scrum free kick and tap quickly. Boks player never retreats 10 - or even looks like doing so - and tackles the ball carrier.

Penalty only.

if the refs are going to be serious about yellow cards for professional fouls, they should do it consistently.

I thought we were given a massive leg up by the ref in the womens SF v USA with the 2 yellow cards, but the quality of the refereeing in the women's fixtures has often been a bit low IMHO.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'll take the scrappy wins/2nd places at the moment. I'd like to see the women in particular playing much more dominant rugby, but it is a transition period and I'm glad both sides are getting to the tournaments. Everything changes when Fiji and New Zealand make it back for both, but any chance to get top flight game time in while they're cooling there heals at home is a bonus. Still no certainty they show up in April, particularly for the kiwis.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
TBF, they targetted the supposed strength of the Irish (the scrum) at the death and had the instinct to win it.

But you're right, too many lapses over the season.

Saying that, I'm thinking they've won the season championship here and now. Given the women's teams are ranked on only their best 4 tournaments ... I don't think they can be caught.
Yeh the fact they are winning is the positive and at times the women have been very good but so so last two events. Importantly we have seen them perform at top level so just seeking more consistency which Demi Haynes herself highlighted was an issue in the post match interview.

On the men - considering the change in personnel and only 2 players with over 10 caps I think they have been outstanding and will only improve if can keep the squad together and gain more experience.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the quality of the refereeing in the women's fixtures has often been a bit low IMHO.

To quote me, and back me up: refereeing in the women's final was very poor. Ireland could feel very aggrieved with some of the decisions that could have snuffed us out in the first half. Just not consistent enough.

Great scrum at the end to win it, mind. But some really ordinary passing under no pressure and decision making was flat until it was nearly too late.

Ireland have the pace game to disrupt us one-on-one.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah. Rarely has there been a less impressive champion than the Aussie women. Meanwhile the men put up a brave show but SAF really are a class above
I guess my concern from the womens is that i thought the were handling the physicality of other teams much better in Dubai, but not so much last week or this week.
Was good to see one of the ‘old’ heads Du Toit stand up when we really needed someone to.

Agree with the sentiment in the mens. Someone is going to have to play out if their skin to stop SA’s current roll.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Boks player never retreats 10 - or even looks like doing so - and tackles the ball carrier.

Following on from this, in the final: we break upfield. Lawson looking to offload to Kuridrani, who gets taken early by Bok #1 in a jersey pull before the ball has even left Lawson's hands. We've broken upfield and are 10 metres away from scoring.

Where's the yellow card?

It isn't a penalty try as other defenders are nearby. But it is a yellow card in XVs let alone 7s ffs...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In any case, we looked like we were trying to do things at 1000% for the first half that was in the youtube feed. The highlights package showed our defence wasn't communicating or trusting each other, based on the Boks' 4th try. Couple of poor tackle attempts.

Boks have size and experience over us, so not surprising they finished over the top. They're a better team for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.