• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The women had two easy ones but will have to improve a lot v France. We looked particularly shabby early v Spain.

The restarts will be their downfall against better teams. And Levi needs to carry the ball in the correct arm - that's basics, and the Spanish player showed the appropriate level of effort.

Last week the wind was partly to blame for kicks not going 10. This week there are no excuses.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting to hear Walsh interviewed mid-game "On paper we're a better team" or words to that effect. Now, he may be right, but if that's the mindset for Spain, it's the same one that lost to Russia.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting to hear Walsh interviewed mid-game "On paper we're a better team" or words to that effect. Now, he may be right, but if that's the mindset for Spain, it's the same one that lost to Russia.

But it’s absolutely true, they are… the context of the comment was to say that they were underperforming/not delivering on the field

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But it’s absolutely true, they are… the context of the comment was to say that they were underperforming/not delivering on the field

I think in 7s it is the wrong attitude to have. Anything can happen, and often does.

Except refs giving the Roidboks a free ride. That's a guarantee...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I did that but in the 3- 4 hour replay starts with Jamaica vs Argentina which is match after Australia vs Kenya - ie 3-4 hour package does not show aust games

This is the full replay. Just skip 20 minutes ahead at a time to find Australia or any match, keeping in mind there are breaks in play:

2:02 Aus Women v Belgium
3:02 Aus Men v Kenya
(4:52 - USA v Spain mens was also a cracker)
08:15 Aus Women v Spain

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is the full replay. Just skip 20 minutes ahead at a time to find Australia or any match, keeping in mind there are breaks in play:

2:02 Aus Women v Belgium
3:02 Aus Men v Kenya
(4:52 - USA v Spain mens was also a cracker)
08:15 Aus Women v Spain

Yeh This is what accessed from beginning which watched lot of before coming on…I still. Can’t find aus vs Kenya on this per time stamp you stated or skipping g

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeh This is what accessed from beginning which watched lot of before coming on…I still. Can’t find aus vs Kenya on this per time stamp you stated or skipping g
The links I posted were all timestamped to the game starts in the 8 hour replay video. If they didn't work for you try these copied and pasted:
Code:
Aus Women vs Belgium:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=7183

Aus Women vs Spain:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=29586

Aus Men vs Kenya:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=10853

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
G
The links I posted were all timestamped to the game starts in the 8 hour replay video. If they didn't work for you try these copied and pasted:
Code:
Aus Women vs Belgium:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=7183

Aus Women vs Spain:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=29586

Aus Men vs Kenya:
https://youtu.be/WqaWOnvlHiw?t=10853
Got it - seemed was getting 4 hour package and not 8 hour package

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It was finally worth persisting to see oz vs Kenya mens game and to see us having so many genuine playmakers. I hope brumbies leave Corey in 7s for a bit as he is probably the leading 7s player now instead of perry baker.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aussie women played pretty shit against France, turned the ball over half a dozen times with poor handling. Didn’t deserve to win

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aussie women played pretty shit against France, turned the ball over half a dozen times with poor handling. Didn’t deserve to win

Watching it now - we're trying to do everything at 100 miles an hour, and throwing terrible passes, knocking on at the base of the ruck, etc. No patience. Should have played in the closer channels because France have a lot of pace.

I've never seen a ref call a team for not striking at the scrum, that said.

Again: I queston Walsh's coaching. His Gold Medal win set him up for life, but he had the best squad there ahead of NZ and daylight.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The women and men both finished with completely dominant wins v Russia and USA respectively. Sets up beautifully for the semi finals late tonight.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On the mens v USA game:

Toole found out what speed looks like when Isles got a lead on him :)
Kuridrani has clearly improved - instead of just going the bosh into contact every time, he is staying alive.
Lawson runs a very nice line and has pace. US went to sleep just on halftime there. Physical, too...
Holy shit Longbottom's try just after halftime showed the US hadn't woken up. Who said "I got ball!" ??
USA contact simply not good enough agaisnt the smaller men. Turner's try showed a lack of foot-in-the-hoop work.

Must be frustrating for Mike Friday - he's got some freak athletes there but they're just not fully rounded. If guys like that played rugby in their youth, they'd be unstoppable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven’t seen all of their games but from what I’ve seen Isles and Baker are on a heavy decline. Hard to replicate that speed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
On the mens v USA game:

Toole found out what speed looks like when Isles got a lead on him :)
Kuridrani has clearly improved - instead of just going the bosh into contact every time, he is staying alive.
Lawson runs a very nice line and has pace. US went to sleep just on halftime there. Physical, too...
Holy shit Longbottom's try just after halftime showed the US hadn't woken up. Who said "I got ball!" ??
USA contact simply not good enough agaisnt the smaller men. Turner's try showed a lack of foot-in-the-hoop work.

Must be frustrating for Mike Friday - he's got some freak athletes there but they're just not fully rounded. If guys like that played rugby in their youth, they'd be unstoppable.

A lot of them are converts. Which need more competitive games to improve. That looks like it will come this year with the launch of PR7s inaugural full season this year and the launch event for US Rugby 7s Major League in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.