• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hmmm... That wasn't very good. Aus women often struggle vs the bigger teams. Still, they play the darkness next who they will have to beat anyway to get the gold. Just have to do it the hard way.
Yep. Flustered, out-hustled and out-muscled.

Didn't get any calls their way, TBF (bit like the men v Uganda yesterday) but they also spilled their own ball too much to get the win.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
No i’m just saying you cant rely on the international travel aspect of the game to retain and recruit talent, especially those in their mid to late 20s
It's depend on the budget. Tennis players live overseas in different countries all the year and only the top 30 earn big money.

For me is OK. Sevens is not a priority in the rugby community

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ thought she'd let us back in by getting carded & NZ really should've scored from that close but great D & turnover from Aus. Chance for redemption v Fijiana after last night's spanking. NZ really should be too good for Canada who we smoked by damn near 40 in Pool play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie women dispatch NZ 17 - 12 to book their place in the big dance. Well done, especially Levi with a hat trick.

Sharnie Williams the key player. She was superb. Amazing how she keeps brining it. She’ll be key v the physical Fijians.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It looked to me like the referee had a clear preference as to which team he wanted to win.
He was a very pedantic referee, picking the smallest infractions, I think he was pretty pedantic both ways though. Just made for poor viewing

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He was a very pedantic referee, picking the smallest infractions, I think he was pretty pedantic both ways though. Just made for poor viewing
Definitely pedantic but there was a 2:1 ratio about it. I agree, it no doubt affected the score line both ways though, something like 21-7 would have been more representative of the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Media "blackout" on the women's 7s beating NZ already started. Such a disgrace how much coverage is given to the 7s compared to the other sports. Especially ones like the Diamonds and the swimmers who are always heavy favourites.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's depend on the budget. Tennis players live overseas in different countries all the year and only the top 30 earn big money.

For me is OK. Sevens is not a priority in the rugby community

All formats of the game should be a priority in the Rugby community. And in the case of the women's game having a successful and highly marketable squad can and should be used as the foundation of something that looks to 1) create greater commercial opportunities for the current squad 2) provides an entertaining product for broadcasters and audiences alike and 3) allows Rugby to not only retain but actually compete for talent as a means of broadening the base.

From a grassroots level it should be the vessel used to introduce kids to the game particularly in the primary school age both public and private sectors. Then transition to 10s in the junior years of high school. 12 a side in years 9-10 and then the full 15 a side game in the seniors.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
All formats of the game should be a priority in the Rugby community. And in the case of the women's game having a successful and highly marketable squad can and should be used as the foundation of something that looks to 1) create greater commercial opportunities for the current squad 2) provides an entertaining product for broadcasters and audiences alike and 3) allows Rugby to not only retain but actually compete for talent as a means of broadening the base.

Sevens became a whole new sport in the last 15 years. Used to be a similar sport in 90s and early 2000s when the same players played both codes. Now is so especific, a quite different strenght and conditioning training.

Nowadays you have a lot of players in non-traditional rugby countries who never played rugby XV and many super athletes becoming 7s players like American sprinters. When Carlin Isles switched to XV, he was a completely disaster in Glasgow Warriors. Maybe he was an upset in his first games then he became an easy target for the defenses.

Yeah, in an ideal world if money was unlimited, you should invest everywhere and buy a Lamborghini Diablo for each player. In this case, with limited money and stronger footy codes poaching athletes in your community, you have to invest carefully.

Look at the example of USA Rugby. They were a powerful Sevens nations in the last years and now they are struggling to qualify to the XV World Cup. They were beat by Uruguay and Chile, small rugby nations and now have to compete against Portugal for the last spot and won't be easy for them. I'd bet on Portugal any day.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sevens became a whole new sport in the last 15 years. Used to be a similar sport in 90s and early 2000s when the same players played both codes. Now is so especific, a quite different strenght and conditioning training.

Nowadays you have a lot of players in non-traditional rugby countries who never played rugby XV and many super athletes becoming 7s players like American sprinters. When Carlin Isles switched to XV, he was a completely disaster in Glasgow Warriors. Maybe he was an upset in his first games then he became an easy target for the defenses.

Yeah, in an ideal world if money was unlimited, you should invest everywhere and buy a Lamborghini Diablo for each player. In this case, with limited money and stronger footy codes poaching athletes in your community, you have to invest carefully.

Look at the example of USA Rugby. They were a powerful Sevens nations in the last years and now they are struggling to qualify to the XV World Cup. They were beat by Uruguay and Chile, small rugby nations and now have to compete against Portugal for the last spot and won't be easy for them. I'd bet on Portugal any day.

Contested scrums, rucks, lineouts. It's still very much Rugby. The best nations recruit directly from talent pools with Rugby experience and nous. Hell, even the US with Baker and Isles relies on guys with more Rugby backgrounds. And it's something from a women's game perspective that can be marketed and built upon. Even if that a more regional structure.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem I see with developing 7s at a junior/club level is the structure of the game. One game isn’t enough playing, so it’s a whole gala day type thing, which is a big investment of time for a few games. The nature of the game below elite level makes it a few times a year thing as opposed to week in, week out thing. Which makes it more of a case of talent identification from XVs, colts, league, wherever. It’s telling that Caslick came from touch, Dietriche Roche from colts and Maurice Longbottom from club rugby league. Not sure what the solution is, or even if a solution is necessary, more just an observation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.