• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Sevens is not a priority in the rugby community

All formats of the game should be a priority in the Rugby community.
I think everyone has a personal ranking of how much interest they have in different forms. I avidly support 2 forms of Rugby and have a passing interest in the other 2.
1 - Mens 15 a side
2 - Womens 7 a side
3 - Mens 7 a side
4 - Womens 15 a side

I enjoy watching them all but if all 4 were on at the same time I do have preferences.

As a rugby fan I want them all to succeed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The problem I see with developing 7s at a junior/club level is the structure of the game. One game isn’t enough playing, so it’s a whole gala day type thing, which is a big investment of time for a few games. The nature of the game below elite level makes it a few times a year thing as opposed to week in, people to come and week out thing. Which makes it more of a case of talent identification from XVs, colts, league, wherever. It’s telling that Caslick came from touch, Dietriche Roche from colts and Maurice Longbottom from club rugby league. Not sure what the solution is, or even if a solution is necessary, more just an observation

I understand your point. But is there anything dictating that we can't alter certain elements like playing time to make it fit our needs?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I understand your point. But is there anything dictating that we can't alter certain elements like playing time to make it fit our needs?
That is a thought. Maybe play thirds with normal 7s timing and longer breaks between the thirds? That equals something close to an hour. Another thing might be to approach it as a summer sport like touch is to league or that rectangle field, no bounce version of Aussie Rules?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think everyone has a personal ranking of how much interest they have in different forms. I avidly support 2 forms of Rugby and have a passing interest in the other 2.
1 - Mens 15 a side
2 - Womens 7 a side
3 - Mens 7 a side
4 - Womens 15 a side

I enjoy watching them all but if all 4 were on at the same time I do have preferences.

Mines fairly similar. The Mens 7s and Womens 15s would be fairly even if the Wallaroos had more opportunities together.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That is a thought. Maybe play thirds with normal 7s timing and longer breaks between the thirds? That equals something close to an hour. Another thing might be to approach it as a summer sport like touch is to league or that rectangle field, no bounce version of Aussie Rules?

In 2012 there was an attempt to launch an extended version of 7s in Canada called Ultra 7s. It used 15 minute quarters. Might be worth a look.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Seven a side, four quarters of 15' each? Cannot imagine it.
Seems to spell it out. I’d prefer 3 games/thirds with 7 minute halves and 10 minute break between games. Make it more similar to what the game is. WCR was suggesting a solution to what I think is a problem in developing 7s, at present the game is short and requires a tournament with multiple teams to play. I’ve always thought Fiji did well at 7s as it was easier to get a 7 on 7 game as opposed to a 15 on 15 one in some villages/islands, thus they play more of the 7s format. How do they organize their games?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Seems to spell it out. I’d prefer 3 games/thirds with 7 minute halves and 10 minute break between games. Make it more similar to what the game is. WCR was suggesting a solution to what I think is a problem in developing 7s, at present the game is short and requires a tournament with multiple teams to play. I’ve always thought Fiji did well at 7s as it was easier to get a 7 on 7 game as opposed to a 15 on 15 one in some villages/islands, thus they play more of the 7s format. How do they organize their games?

That could work as well. There's no reason if enough schools were involved that you could run them as mini gala days. Point is, it's a very good introduction to the basic mechanics of the game. Involves lots of running and ball handling/movement and is fun to play. I know RA has made noise about getting more schools playing but it seems to be more tournament based limiting exposure. We need to be using all formats in a built out plan to first introduce and then progressively move kids through the game up to the full version. And it needs to be really pushed at the primary school age.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I'm also not a huge fan of the 15 minute quarters. There was a proof of concept event in the US for the Super 7s Rugby League several years back using 12 minute quarter. It held up until the 3rd quarter when fatigue really kicked in and the score ran up. I think you could probably go with 15 minute halves at a maximum and run two games a week in a minim gala set up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
1 - Mens 15 a side
2 - Womens 7 a side
3 - Mens 7 a side
4 - Womens 15 a side

Is it the game or the quality? Your list (which is the same order for me) is effectively an ordering of how developed/professional the programs are.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is it the game or the quality? Your list (which is the same order for me) is effectively an ordering of how developed/professional the programs are.
Both but higher quality does make it better in terms of the elite game. My focus on schools is about providing kids with the simpler more open version which is 7s. From there you can gradually implement more structure while keeping the openness with 10s and then 12 a side before running with the full version in the senior years of HS.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The problem I see with developing 7s at a junior/club level is the structure of the game. One game isn’t enough playing, so it’s a whole gala day type thing, which is a big investment of time for a few games. The nature of the game below elite level makes it a few times a year thing as opposed to week in, week out thing. Which makes it more of a case of talent identification from XVs, colts, league, wherever. It’s telling that Caslick came from touch, Dietriche Roche from colts and Maurice Longbottom from club rugby league. Not sure what the solution is, or even if a solution is necessary, more just an observation
This is 100% truth and the problem with this is, if you develop 7s players, you lose basic skills for XV. Just look out the USA Rugby model, is one of the few countries where 7s is more popular than XV and now they're struggling to qualify to the XV World Cup.

Sevens is good to develop basic skills but that's all, basic skills. League is also good to develop basic skills but then the game is completely different to Rugby XV. So in a country where most of the athletes play other footy codes you are gonna split your tiny talent pool developing players with only basic skills in order to develop 7s. It's not make senses to me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.