• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
YC & Penalty Try NZ, Fijian made no attempt to wrap an arm even though he did put our bloke into touch.

Gotta build a lead while their skipper's off.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's one, need another before HT.

Bugger. 14-14 & try scored by the guy who got carded ~3 seconds after he got back out there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'd argue Henry Hutchison had his best season since about 2016.

The transition to hooker or similar has been excellent. He's a great tackler and his jackling is probably the best in the team. Playing in a role where he no longer needs to be the speedster on the wing (which he can't do well anymore) has been great for him.

Also adds leadership & experience to a young group

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji out-smart themselves & bomb a certain try by trying to get it under the posts. Get a penalty for high tackle which probably should've been a PT. Doesn't matter as they score anyway 21-all into the final 3 minutes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Da fuck? Ref calls advantage & our guy immediately taps & goes? How does that work?

Anyhoo...

Leo scores, NZ 28-21 into the last 30 seconds.

NZ get the win.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Interesting if the AB's win the 7's RWC then in just over 12 months 4 nations would have all won Olympics/Comm games/World series/World cup

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
watching your first game of the year?
Yes, yes I was

Reading BHs post I note he has shifted away from that ‘speedster’ role which is where I found him most frustrating at in the past few years. I was not impressed with his defensive efforts in the match against Fiji this morning.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Can only be good for the sport

Even better would be for someone like Samoa to come through.

That would be good! shame Eng/Wales/Scotland have gone down the GB path. RFU are the richest union in the world & they wont support their own 7's program

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ if it's a SA: Aus tie I think SA win by virtue of winning more Legs.
While that could also make sense, I think the first tie-breaker is still for-against points difference (but -- for this season -- only calculated on each team's best seven tournaments).

Screenshot_20220829-191751~2.png

That's what seems to separate Samoa from England (and Canada from Wales).

If calculated only on each team's best 7 tournaments, South Africa naturally had the edge when including their 4 gold tournaments in which they were undefeated.

Their last few tournaments were absolutely woeful, though, so their for-against points difference would've dropped below Australia's if all 9 tournaments were used.

Still, it didn't come to the for-against difference at the top of the table, only further down.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Corey Toole did rather well at the Awards night:

x Rookie of The Year
x Impact Player of The Year (stats-based)
x member of the Dream Team

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some names missing from NZ R7WC squads:

All Blacks sevens: Kurt Baker, Dylan Collier, Scott Curry, Sam Dickson (cc), Moses Leo, Ngarohi McGarvey-Black, Sione Molia (cc), Tone Ng Shiu, Amanaki Nicole, Lewis Ormond, Akuila Rokolisoa, Brady Rush, Caleb Tangitau, Regan Ware.

Black Ferns sevens: Michaela Blyde, Kelly Brazier, Stacey Fluhler, Sarah Hirini (c), Jazmin Felix-Hotham, Shiray Kaka, Jorja Miller, Risaleeana Pouri-Lane, Alena Saili, Niall Williams, Tenika Willison, Portia Woodman.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's the go with this 7s RWC. Surely between the actual series, commonwealth games and olympics it's a bit superfluous.

Status
Not open for further replies.