• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dates have been announced:

26 & 27/11/21 Dubai - men & women
3 & 4/12 Dubai - m & w
21-23/1/22 Malaga, Spain - m & w
28-30/1 Seville - m & w
26 & 27/2 Vancouver - m
5 & 6/3 LA - m
1-3/4 Hong Kong - m & w
9-10/4 Singapore - m
30/4-1/5 Langford - w
20-22/5 Toulouse - m & w
28-29/5 London

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
NZ to start at the back of the grid:

Other than RA's lack of cash, haven't heard much about the Aus 7s teams since the Tokyo jaunt. Are they turning up to Dubai?

The Team GB caper for the opening two rounds only (before reverting to Eng/Sco/Wal) for both the men's and women's tour could be a convenient ploy to allow other teams (i.e. ours) to skip the rest of 2021 and just pitch up to Malaga in January.

By this I mean WR (World Rugby) are tweaking the standings to compensate teams (England, NZ and others) that are on the sidelines. Might be as simple as using win% somewhere when calculating the ladder. Dunno.

Or dropping the two lowest-placed tournaments from all teams' points totals on the ladder?

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm assuming Oz/NZ aren't getting tournaments because of potential covid restrictions.

EDIT: I should have read the article @kiap linked :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee that was a pretty damn impressive win by the women. Not sure how that US squad shapes up but given the turnover of our size and the age of our squad, they may have already exceeded my expectations

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aussie men had a rocky start vs Canada, but seem to have come good in the 2nd half.

Longbottom still the star, some of the new players looking good thigh

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some good talent on display for woman’s Aussie 7s. Past results suggested the team needed an overhaul and looks promising with lot of the young new brigade coming through

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Women were very clinical. The appointment of Demi Hayes as skipper took me by surprise but a great start.

Those ‘fringe’ players such as Lily Dick starting to stand up.

Meanwhile the men should be damn proud. A last minute loss to Fiji. I even think their loss to SAF was unlucky due to some horrendous early officiating. No Longbottom a massive hurdle too

Roache an absolute gun. A lot to like about Toole too.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WR (World Rugby) have clarified how the Series will work:

"With Great Britain only competing in the opening two rounds, a points system has been developed that promotes fairness for all competing teams. This recognises situations where teams may not be able to participate in any rounds owing to COVID-19.

"The system sees the best seven men’s results and four women’s results for each team contribute to their final Series standings.

"Two men’s teams and one women’s will be relegated from the 2022 Series, to ensure a pathway for teams to be promoted from the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Challengers Series."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian touring squads announced. First series with the switched coaches. Note Hutchinson is the new mens captain with Malouf getting married. Kirisi (Chris) Kuridrani the other interesting name.

Australian Sevens for Spain:

Women’s Squad:

Madison Ashby, 7 caps
Charlotte Caslick, 35 caps
Lily Dick, 7 caps
Dominique Du Toit, 17 caps
Demi Hayes (c), 14 caps
Tia Hinds, 2 caps
Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea, 2 caps
Maddison Levi, 2 caps
Teagan Levi, 1 cap
Faith Nathan, 6 caps
Sariah Paki, 12 caps
Cassie Staples, 12 caps
Bienne Terita, *
Jakiya Whitfeld, 2 cap

Men’s Squad:
Ben Dowling, 2 caps
Stu Dunbar, 3 caps
Henry Hutchinson (c), 34 caps
Kirisi Kuridrani,*
Darby Lancaster, *
Nathan Lawson,*
Maurice Longbottom, 21 caps
Henry Paterson, 2 caps
Dietrich Roache, 2 caps
Jed Stuart, 2 caps
Corey Toole, 2 caps
Josh Turner, 8 caps
Solomone Vosaicake, 2 caps
Yool Yool, 2 caps

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Really looking forward to seeing these teams go around again. The women’s side is playing as good as they have for 5 yrs and the mens team has a real look of a young group on the rise and keen to mix it up with the best.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Really looking forward to seeing these teams go around again. The women’s side is playing as good as they have for 5 yrs and the mens team has a real look of a young group on the rise and keen to mix it up with the best.
Here's hoping.

Reactions: TSR

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Love to have it on Stan as YouTube not my thing / preference for watching sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.