• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
SF1 Aus v Fiji
SF2 NZ v Samoa

Aus would have to lose both remaining matches to not take out the Series.
Conversely, F1J1 win both remaining matches to (maybe) take out the Series. Although that might be out of their hands before game 2.

MUW8ccI.png

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Two early tries from Fiji, two quick tries from Australia to fight back to 12-10 (Fiji lead) at half time

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bugger looks like it all comes down to the bronze medal play off

For which NZ are going hard-out to qualify for...

Edit: they've pulled back one of the two tries conceded whilst down a man.

Edit: Samoa's lead back to 12 at HT :(

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ score first after HT but soon down to six again & Samoan lead blows out to 12 again.

Edit: lead down to five into the last minute & NZ with a scrum feed 35m out.

Edit: Molia levels it up, Baker converts for the win.

Fiji v NZ Final 10:28 AEST
Aus v Samoa for Bronze just after 10:00

Go Straya!

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SA were up by 2 points on us, how on earth do they win the series if we come 4th and they came 9th?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ things change when you disregard each team's two poorest results.

"Best Seven Legs" Points after London:

119 South Africa
112 Australia
110 Argentina
104 Fiji

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
SA were up by 2 points on us, how on earth do they win the series if we come 4th and they came 9th?
Because of the covid affected schedule only the best 7 of 9 results count. South Africa have two poor results (5 points and 3 points) so don't lose much, whereas our worst at the moment are 10 points and 13 points, so we need to score more than 13 points to actual increase our standings. 4th = 15 points which would have us level with South Africa to miss out based on the tie breakers (at least that's my understanding I can't find the points differences). So we need at least 3 more points than 13 to move clear, which is 3rd place or 17 points.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ if it's a SA: Aus tie I think SA win by virtue of winning more Legs.
That's what I thought it would be, but the only thing I could find was the wikipedia article stating it was points difference, than tries scored:
Tie-breaking: If two or more teams are level on overall series points, the following tie-breakers are used:[66]
  1. Overall difference in points scored and allowed during the season.
  2. Total try count during the season.
  3. If neither of the above produces a winner, the teams are considered tied.
That reference is from 2006 though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had changed. I wish world rugby would just publish this all clearly at the start of each season

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's what I thought it would be, but the only thing I could find was the wikipedia article stating it was points difference, than tries scored:

That reference is from 2006 though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had changed. I wish world rugby would just publish this all clearly at the start of each season

That's just weird (& yes, WR (World Rugby) should update & publish all this stuff pre-Series).

Status
Not open for further replies.