• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah, it's a simple enough equation really: thrash HK, beat you guys & rely on Samoa also beating you guys...

Can see two of those things happening but all three seems a stretch.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Team GB were a racehorse you'd be swabbing it after that result...

OK, redemption time for NZ, gotta win this by at least as much as Aus beat HK last night & probably more given they got nilled by Samoa which Aus probably won't.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ only caught the tail end after women's RWC SF but, yeah, it didn't look flash.

Based on this & last night I think NZ will be in the Plate but probably won't win it :(

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Thunderbolts (do we still use that name?) leading Samoa 12-5. I look forward to eating my words.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That was silly by Turner.

Samoa top the Pool so NZ & Aus PD now irrelevant, straight shootout for QF spot.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
geez we make things hard for ourselves some times, off to fire up the braai & drink away the nervousness of the next couple of hours

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Thunderbolts (do we still use that name?) leading Samoa 12-5. I look forward to eating my words.
The Thunderbolts name was meant to be used for developmental sides (e.g. for an Australian VII team not playing under the name Australia in a minor tournament).

But sections of the media do love a nickname. They started running with it for the national side for a short while until there was clarification of no nickname for the national team. As such, it probably hasn't been written up much after 2016.

(Similar story for the women's team being labelled 'The Pearls'.)

Anyway, they'll need to beat the kiwis now to avoid becoming the Feather Dusters.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Australia 24 - New Zealand 17
That's us into the quarters and NZ to the plate
We play Ireland in the quarters, which is probably the best draw we could get, avoiding Fiji, Samoa and SA.