• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I see Toole as more of a 7s guy and he’s doing ok at 15s. I think Lancaster as more skilled, but not quite as quick (who is?).
I have been really impressed by Toole in his two games. Kept expecting him to get bumped off but he's been bringing down people twice his size. Really tenacious little fucker who has that 7s spirit of "if I don't do it, no one else will".

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
His size is no concern to me with how well he plays. At the end of the day speed is power so he can take it to guys that are listed as larger than him.

Weve all played with or against a guy that seems smaller but hits you like a bus right off the mark.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good win in the bronze medal game for the Aussie men.

Given how many of our best players are out injured that is a pretty impressive result.

Hopefully the Aussie women can get it done in the final. They were unbelievable in the semi-final.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I have been really impressed by Toole in his two games. Kept expecting him to get bumped off but he's been bringing down people twice his size. Really tenacious little fucker who has that 7s spirit of "if I don't do it, no one else will".
Agree. He has surprised me. I thought he would have moments of magic and moments of being too small, but he’s be good so far.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Day 3

Women's standings:
98 NZ
84 Australia
82 USA
66 France
58 Ireland
48 Fiji

Men's:
120 NZ
108 Argentina
95 France
94 Fiji
94 Australia
89 Samoa

Playoff zone (12-14)
30 Spain
29 Kenya
20 Canada

Relegation-bound barring a miracle
10 Japan

Next Leg (men & women) Hong Kong 31 March - 2 April

Last edited:

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone know if the standings stay as they are would the Aussie men qualify for Paris as France in as hosts. First level of qualification is top 4 world series

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ meaning that in a year or two the situation will be reversed. It's likely we'll lose Hirini, Portia & two or three others at or around the same time (post- Olympics and/ or WC7's). Luckily Miller & Felix-Hotham are developing nicely & I believe there's a heap of other youngsters who should be ready for the big-time in the next Olympic/ WC7's cycle. That said I suspect there will be a year or two where Australia go into every trans-Tasman match as favourites. Which is no bad thing for the game as a whole.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ France qualify as hosts so it's pretty much "top four excluding France" as direct qualifiers then regional then repechage.
It's also significant that three of the "top four excluding France" are from Oceania. If it stays that way, there'll be four Oceania teams at the Olympics, ... with the fourth likely being the team that beats Tonga ... or is Tonga.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It's also significant that three of the "top four excluding France" are from Oceania. If it stays that way, there'll be four Oceania teams at the Olympics, ... with the fourth likely being the team that beats Tonga ... or is Tonga.
It is probably in World Rugby's interest for at least one of Aus/Samoa/Fiji to finish in the top four (locking in NZ Eddie). If none of them do only two of those teams can qualify (one as Oceania and one as repechage)

Will SA send the men if they don't qualify top 4? At the last Olympics the SA Women did not go as it was SA Olympic committee policy that the would not send teams that qualify via regional qualifiers.