• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's also significant that three of the "top four excluding France" are from Oceania. If it stays that way, there'll be four Oceania teams at the Olympics, ... with the fourth likely being the team that beats Tonga ... or is Tonga.

In that scenario my money's definitely on Tonga who I also think will go close to winning the playoff for the last WS spot although that will depend on who they can get released.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In that scenario my money's definitely on Tonga who I also think will go close to winning the playoff for the last WS spot although that will depend on who they can get released.
I'll take your money in that scenario, WOB.

Tonga did look good in their limited opportunities last month. That's the reason I name checked them.

Also in their favour is they would only need to beat one other non-qualified team to the Olympic punch in an Oceania tournament.

Arguably, that would be easier than either a repechage route to Paris 2024 or the challenger route to the 2024 World Series, because both of those one-prize paths require multiple match wins in multiple far-flung tournaments.

But ... I will still back the biggest loser out of Fiji/Australia/Samoa against Tonga.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It is probably in World Rugby's interest for at least one of Aus/Samoa/Fiji to finish in the top four (locking in NZ Eddie). If none of them do only two of those teams can qualify (one as Oceania and one as repechage)

Will SA send the men if they don't qualify top 4? At the last Olympics the SA Women did not go as it was SA Olympic committee policy that the would not send teams that qualify via regional qualifiers.
My hot-take theory (based on no data) is that Saffa rugby remains bound up in a muscular masculinity "vibe" that in a lot of other places has faded over recent decades.

They're not as interested in seeing women in this space, even in the lighter version of rugby sevens.

The other major rugby country with some of that going on is Argentina.

It still exists in Australia (and elsewhere) but is now typically less than it was.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
My hot-take theory (based on no data) is that Saffa rugby remains bound up in a muscular masculinity "vibe" that in a lot of other places has faded over recent decades.

They're not as interested in seeing women in this space, even in the lighter version of rugby sevens.

That's not true, in Argentina most of the rugby clubs host female hockey teams. So in Argentina there's something like 100k registered male rugby players and a similar number of registered female hockey players. Both come from the same rugby/hockey clubs.

That's the tradition, in rugby clubs/schools girls play hockey. For that reason Argentina is a power nation in female hockey. On the other hand, there are only 1k registered female rugby players cause only around 6/10 rugby clubs have female rugby teams

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's not true, in Argentina most of the rugby clubs host female hockey teams. So in Argentina there's something like 100k registered male rugby players and a similar number of registered female hockey players. Both come from the same rugby/hockey clubs.

That's the tradition, in rugby clubs/schools girls play hockey. For that reason Argentina is a power nation in female hockey. On the other hand, there are only 1k registered female rugby players cause only around 6/10 rugby clubs have female rugby teams
You realise if anything that backs his point that they're not as interested in seeing women in rugby right?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You say not true, but your post partly backs up what I say.

Registered women rugby players are well outnumbered by registered men rugby players in every country. Let me make that clear.

Difference now though is a rise in women's numbers and interest in the women's game in some countries is now growing.

I'd argue it's somewhat of a culture shift. Happening more in some countries and not in others.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You realise if anything that backs his point that they're not as interested in seeing women in rugby right?
No because is not a male decision. The women are free and they decide by themselves to support female hockey. Argentina is a power nation in hockey and the girls want to continue that legacy.

If female rugby wants to success they have to create their own pathway like male hockey in Argentina. Outside the traditional clubs

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You say not true, but your post partly backs up what I say.

Argentina is a crazy soccer nation. You have to fight against that, any minor sport have to fight for survive. The tradition in rugby clubs have been cleare for more than 100 years.

It's like you want to convert Victoria in a rugby union stronghold from overnight. It's a good idea but not realistic

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)

It still exists in Australia (and elsewhere) but is now typically less than it was.
This is from wiki

South Africa did not qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics despite winning the 2015 Women's Africa Cup Sevens because the South African Olympic Committee (SASCOC) rules states that teams cannot qualify by winning continental titles.[1] As in 2016, South Africa missed Tokyo 2020 for the same reason.[2]

So if you trust wiki no South Africa in men's or women's sevens at Paris. If there are men but no women and they both win Africa there may be some issues

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools for HK

Fqgo3AMXgAAGMnf.jpeg.jpg

Fqgo3ALWAAAk7-m.jpeg.jpg

I wonder when SA was last seeded last in their Pool?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

In my youth there was a similar tradition in the Aussie rules clubs in southern NSW: the women played netball for the club while the blokes played football. Every family I knew with both boys and girls had them play their respective sports. As was the way then the girls finished their games so's everyone could watch the main men's game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HK Day 1 highlights

Sarah Hirini copped a three-match suspension but will be back for SF (assuming they beat Canada in the QF).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's QF

Australia v Ireland
France v GB

Fiji v USA
NZ v Canada

NZDT ends tonight so I'm not even gonna attempt kickoff times...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aus leading Spain 12-7, but Spain looking really good, fast, and good at getting over the advantage line in contact

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus leading Spain 12-7, but Spain looking really good, fast, and good at getting over the advantage line in contact

Really hope they make the cut, reckon they could be the next breakout team a la Argentina. Making this Cup QF should give them a big boost points-wise.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Really hope they make the cut, reckon they could be the next breakout team a la Argentina. Making this Cup QF should give them a big boost points-wise