• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd love to know how the players manage the heat after games - I saw a couple of the US women's players wearing ice vests during warm-up - I thought they'd all be using those. Presumably ice baths after the game.

I walked past and some teams were using the pool at the Moore Park fitness centre next door between matches, that place has cold baths and plunge pools also which I’m sure they were using.

It’s usually a $15k joining fee for the Moore park fitness club. Perks of being a pro athlete

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I walked past and some teams were using the pool at the Moore Park fitness centre next door between matches, that place has cold baths and plunge pools also which I’m sure they were using.

It’s usually a $15k joining fee for the Moore park fitness club. Perks of being a pro athlete
I momentarily thought the pool was part of the fan village as I walked out there. But not at that cost.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the schedule shakes out with the new format, lots of opportunity to fix some long standing issues. Not exactly sure when you move it to though, the traditional schedule of December - June doesn't offer much if you want to avoid Super rugby or competing with the NRL for the stadium.
January is for cricket - it's the hottest month. They could possibly look to move the sevens to the slot given to Hong Kong 2 months ago (when we won) - i.e. early November. Open the Series before Cape Town and Dubai. October/November was also the slot used for the Aus 7s ten years ago when the tournament was held at the Goldie. More than 2 degrees cooler in November and even more so in October.

Syd arport temps 1991-2022.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whole series is getting rejigged next year. WR (World Rugby) have previously announced it will run from December until June.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
With those dates (December- June) I think you leave it where it is. I don't think they want to try and compete with NRL/AFL. It falls in a quite part of the sporting calendar whilst still being in the school holidays.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Reason they're rejigging is trying to recover the failures.

NZ keep winning but it hasn't prevented a slide in interest. England bailed on funding but the replacement Team GB is still struggling. Only European tier 1 really engaged now is France (possibly Ireland might step up if thrown a hosting gig). Canada has fallen away and Singapore never really worked.

They probably have to go Latino next; Argentina, Uruguay. Either option there is southern hemisphere...

It seems that the Olympics is now the primary driver keeping the concept going.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
French are definitely improving. Ireland has been a good Suprise.

They would be really happy about Argentina and Samoa recently. Hopefully the recent US form can continue and countries like Japan keep at it.

Canada Rugby has been sliding backwards for over a decade in all forms sadly and I don't see it turning around.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
7s World Series was impacted more then most tournaments by COVID. It’ll take a couple of years to rebuild, but early signs from Sydney and Cape Town crowds are that’s it won’t take long.

I believe the new structure is about improving the commercial appeal of the series, and allow windows for other non series tournaments and events to exist outside the series calendar.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ lose to Samoa in the wet in the exact same way they lost to Samoa in Cape Town in the wet i.e. making no allowance whatsoever for it being wet.

Edit: Means a QF v Team GB so that's a silver lining of sorts.

Edit: Aus pipped by Fiji but then Japan beat Kenya so Aus go through to Cup QF on PD.

Last edited:

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Aus got 4th after getting pipped by fiji by 2 points again. They had a couple of injuries, which will make next week's games tough. They are going alright after losing so many players now.